Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-05, 10:35am
Gimme that silver glass!

Just made one with Effetre rose quartz:

No cracks so far! I really think it has more to do with heat than incomp. honestly (in my case that is).

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-05, 11:07am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
...I'll make a pic of them to show what my cracks look like.
Now, now!!! Careful...this is a "G" rated thread, isn't it? Just kidding!!! Sorry, Anouk, I just couldn't resist!

SERIOUSLY, this is so sad - so many wonderful beads and the cracking must make you want to cry!!! I would...

I'm going to watch this thread closely and see if this problem is resolved and what the "issue" turns out to be. There seems to be several factors that might be at play - it will be interesting to see if it comes down to one thing or a combo. So far, I think we're considering:

1) Purity of Copper Mesh
2) Type of "Clear" or "Transparent" glass used to encase
3) Annealing temp and cycle

Anouk, I just love your hearts! Kevan, I just love what you've been doing with the "frit" on the "slug", and the Pink one you showed a while back was just TDF!!! I hope none of these have been part of the "casualty" list!

Keep us posted! And thanks for sharing!

~De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-05, 11:35am
Lover of all things color

I made two big "Sherry" beads today using the tutorial. One cracked, I used the original Launscha. The crack is running vertically through the middle of the clear. My guess is that this one is due to thermal shock. I did another huge bead with a different clear and it cracked vertically too. I guess I'm going to have to work smaller until I get a bead annealer. The fiber blanket just isn't enough for the larger ones.

Anouk, that is an amazing heart. I must admit, I didn't see the heart when I first looked at it. All I saw was the implosion with a huge pink lump on it's back. Once I saw the heart I didn't see the lump any more. The colors are amazing.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-05, 11:48am
Entropy increasing....

This one is vetrofond encased in vetrofond clear. I really liked this one.

This one is vetrofond encased in I'm not sure. This one I thought might have to do with the frit which is not 104, but the other one has no frit.

Old 2008-07-05, 11:52am
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Anouk, that is an amazing heart. I must admit, I didn't see the heart when I first looked at it. All I saw was the implosion with a huge pink lump on it's back. Once I saw the heart I didn't see the lump any more. The colors are amazing.
ROFL Maybe that's a good name for them implosion with lump . Maybe I should have shown this pic instead then .
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/...g?v=1215275660

But thank you anyway !

And Kevan, my cracks are different. Seeing these, I'd say incomp. cracks.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-07-05, 11:54am
Lover of all things color

Yes, that photo is much better.

Let me tell you, when I get done with the poking stage mine look like that which is unnamed.

I ran out of propane right at the end of the second one. Hubby just got back with a new tank.....wahoooooooo

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-05, 11:58am
Entropy increasing....

Anouk, that's what I think, but why would vetrofond be incompatible with vetrofond? It makes no sense. And I have also had the same thing happen with CIM clear. The base on the top bead is on of the odd lot vetros. Honey whatever it is
Old 2008-07-05, 12:07pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
The base on the top bead is on of the odd lot vetros. Honey whatever it is
Dare I say "Honey CRUNCH"? Maybe should be changed to "Honey, DON'T"!!!

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-05, 12:10pm
Entropy increasing....

It certainly crunched, didn't it? lol
Old 2008-07-05, 12:44pm
Metallic Flame Studios

I think that is what happened to my 1st one... it was an ivory slug and wasn't marked Vetro or Moretti, so I think it was probably Vetro Ivory and was incompatible! wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh It was really kewl looking on the psychotic side too!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Except. The one time that I used Vetrofond light ivory for the slug. Crack-o-rama. Right out of the kiln.
Attached Images

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Last edited by ltsexpressions; 2008-07-05 at 12:51pm.
Old 2008-07-05, 12:45pm
Entropy increasing....

I use the vetro ivory, but I'm using their clear. Shouldn't they be compatible or am I asking too much. lol
Old 2008-07-05, 4:43pm

OK, stupid question, I know, but are you making sure you've completely reheated the bead thoroughly before you put it in the kiln? I mean back up to a good, red glow?

Old 2008-07-05, 5:55pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
OK, stupid question, I know, but are you making sure you've completely reheated the bead thoroughly before you put it in the kiln? I mean back up to a good, red glow?

Kevan - I got thermal shock cracks. This was pre-tute, without the thin layer of clear under the mesh, and I was afraid of metling the pokies, and then put too big a glob of clear on top, and didn't have it hot enough, that I'm sure the center of the bead got too cool - I was worrying about it as I made it. This is Bullseye.
Old 2008-07-05, 8:29pm

Try putting the mesh deeper. Maybe that will help.

Amy

Old 2008-07-06, 12:37am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Yes, they were glowing pretty good when they went into the kiln. I made one with all CIM tonight and I'll see how that worked in the morning.
Old 2008-07-06, 9:25am

Kevin who is Larry Hunter? I like his sense of things.

Old 2008-07-06, 10:06am
Entropy increasing....

He's some big republican in Washington. I don't know exactly who he is, but he's known in DC. I just thought the quote had hilarious imagery. lol
Old 2008-07-06, 2:28pm
Soft glass addict

I started this thread Kevan, same cracks as you got:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94382

I got them not so long after taking them out of the kiln, i've tried it with Flex and that seems to work perfectly.
Mega Minor + 2 oxycons and lovin it
Old 2008-07-06, 5:35pm
boro color bender

SLOW ramp down times should solve 99% of your issues... my guess (and it's already been said), is that some folks have way too fast of a ramp down programmed in. 950-850 should take almost 2 hours... at the very least.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-07-06, 6:34pm
Broken

I find vetro clear will often crack over "odd" type glass or metals. I always use effetre. I've had vetro clear crack over DH before. Kevan I noticed a few of the Sherry beads you've been making had frit in them, I wondered if they'd crack, and I think you mentioned Lauscha clear too, I don't use it with anything other than lauscha.

CIM glass I treat like lauscha I only use CIM with CIM and Lauscha with Lauscha, never had much luck mixing those clears.

Old 2008-07-06, 8:42pm
Flaming Redhead!

I've been getting the cracking too...I'm using Moretti clear, Moretti white or ivory for the copper mesh section of the bead...My ramp down from 960 to 860 is 2 hrs, my garaging is at 960, my copper is pure copper mesh. So...are these incompatibility or thermal cracks? If they're somehow thermal cracks I'd have a hard time believing it as the beads are glowing red when put into the kiln.

On this bead, in the lower right hand corner the bead almost looks like it shattered...hard to photograph though. The other area that cracked had done so like a 'Y'.

This is the other side of the same bead...

So...what am I doing wrong?

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-07-06, 10:55pm

I'll be curious to see how the Lauscha Reformulated clear does and how the Soft clear does. If I had that thing called "Torch Time" I could find out for myself!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-07-06, 11:18pm
Dances With Fire

I do have a slow ramp down and havent had any cracks

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-06, 11:52pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Made 2 hearts again, and no cracks .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-07-07, 12:38am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I find vetro clear will often crack over "odd" type glass or metals. I always use effetre. I've had vetro clear crack over DH before. Kevan I noticed a few of the Sherry beads you've been making had frit in them, I wondered if they'd crack, and I think you mentioned Lauscha clear too, I don't use it with anything other than lauscha.

CIM glass I treat like lauscha I only use CIM with CIM and Lauscha with Lauscha, never had much luck mixing those clears.
I've had the ones with frit crack and not crack. Both ways.
Old 2008-07-07, 12:39am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
SLOW ramp down times should solve 99% of your issues... my guess (and it's already been said), is that some folks have way too fast of a ramp down programmed in. 950-850 should take almost 2 hours... at the very least.
Thanks. I will give this a try. Anouk what is your annealing schedule?
Old 2008-07-07, 5:27am
Dances With Fire

I'll be watching this thread...havent made these since you guys brought it up! I love you guys : )

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-07, 10:02am

It seems to me that a slow ramp down would solve a lot of problems.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-07-07, 10:51am
Born Facing Left

I soak these beads for a minimum of an hour, (968F) and my ramp down is very conservative; Just as Brent said, I take two hours to ramp to 850F. I've always done that though, mesh or no mesh, because my beads are so large.

I'm finding the cracking issue so weird, I have to wonder if some of the copper mesh isn't 'pure' copper? Because that would be a problem, I think.

Old 2008-07-07, 10:55am
Entropy increasing....

Which copper mesh are you using, Sherry?