Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-02, 6:27pm

Default Color Question

I have been reading about color combinations on this forum and when you talk about combinations you say to put one color over another. What exactly does that mean??? encase? layer then pull to stringer? Can these combinations be used in implosions? I have been looking for colors in my implosions. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Old 2010-01-02, 8:14pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Hiya. Welcome to the boro room. Been looking for cool implosion colors? Boy, where to begin... I have favorites for vortex marbles, flowers, seafloors... (Yeah, I can do a vortex implosion and a seafloor implosion, but the flowers are the coolest) I started doing flower implosions with caramel. I get a real neat blueish haze around each of the petals. Yellow crayon and NS Poppy are nice. But to get the fancier petals you've got to make stringers to use for petals. Here's one that usually comes out real cool. Take obsidian or cobalt, pull it into thin stringers, and use those stringers to coat a 1 1/2" length of a white rod (which should be about 7mm thick). After fully coating the white rod, pull it down into a stringer of 2-3mm and use that to make the petals. If you need more detailed info, just pm me (send me a private message). Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-03, 5:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkamy View Post
I have been reading about color combinations on this forum and when you talk about combinations you say to put one color over another. What exactly does that mean??? encase? layer then pull to stringer? Can these combinations be used in implosions? I have been looking for colors in my implosions. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Where are you located? You might be able to dial into a local lampworking group.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-04, 7:07am

Smile Thank you

Thanks for the input gmkcpa! I already tried encasing white w/ obsidian and the petals came out great! Thank you soooooooooooooo much. Any other ideas would be fantastic! I live in upstate NY. Not many people do flameworking that I know of around here. CNY glass w/ Chris Rice is FANTASTIC and i have done a few classes with him. Other then that, I don't know of many people around here! Thanks again for the help!
Old 2010-01-04, 7:51am
ManBearPig

Check out http://www.studio34jewelryartslearningcenter.com

They are in Rochester. Not sure how far that is from you, but I know they have classes. A lot of their classes are soft glass, but they had a guy there that was teaching borosilicate classes too.

Old 2010-01-04, 10:55am

Rochester is about 1 1/2 hours away,,, just a hop, skip and a jump!!! Thank you very much for the info! Would you believe I am going to Seattle in February to take a class from John Kobuki!!!!!!! I am so excited but am very nervous!! Studio 34 doesnt have January class schedule out yet. I may take one from them too so I have somewhat of a clue when i go to Seattle! Thanks for the info! BTW, your book on Marbles was Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again, Amy
Old 2010-01-04, 11:47am
boro color bender

John will show you some great color combos...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-04, 12:54pm

John's a great teacher!
Come visit us while your in town.. We are not that far North of Seattle
Phyllis the shopkeeper at Trev's Glass
Old 2010-01-04, 1:45pm
Hummel factory reject

Don't forget Corning. It is glass heaven. http://www.cmog.org/dynamic.aspx?id=156

Old 2010-01-06, 11:28am

Default Corning!!!!!

Corning is a fantastic place! It is actually where I took a demonsration about a year and a half ago that hooked me on glass!! Thanks again for everyones input,,, Make today great!!!!