LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-10, 8:58pm
Entropy increasing....

Default So, what do soft glass artists use tubing for?

I have no idea what they would use it for. I can see the boro for pipes and for laboratory glass, but what would soda lime people use it for.
Old 2011-04-11, 3:25am
sunscreen me baby

Christmas ornaments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-11, 4:43am
Dichro Addict

Blown Conch Shells?

Old 2011-04-11, 5:21am
Cat herder

Fancy straws for drinking your beverage of choice while you torch?

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-04-11, 6:01am
Hobby Junkie

Implosions work for soft glass too. You could make some really cool pendants.

Old 2011-04-11, 7:08am
Metallic Flame Studios

BellaBean beat me to it... implosions and other "boro" techniques work with soft glass too...

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2011-04-11, 7:12am
Mary Lockwood

Yes, anything you can do with boro you can do with soft glass, it's just more thermally challenging.

The first thing that comes to mind though is Christmas ornaments because the Germans have been blowing soft glass ornaments for so long and you can get the glaskolben and points already started for you.

~~Mary

Old 2011-04-11, 7:16am
critter creator

^ What Mary said - goblets, vases, and particularly ornaments. Also good for hollow bodies for lighter sculptures, such as Shane Fero's birds:

Old 2011-04-11, 7:27am

Wow. Look at those birds, they are amazing!

Old 2011-04-11, 7:37am
Hobby Junkie

Those are very sweet little birds!

Old 2011-04-11, 12:09pm
Entropy increasing....

Those are very cool birds. Thanks for the info. There is evidence that the people who were using this glass I bought were making ornaments. Glowing uranium glass ornaments might be pretty cool.
Old 2011-04-11, 12:40pm
Duchess of Dichro

Those birds are adorable! No "might be" Kevan, they would be fantastic!!

Old 2011-04-11, 12:44pm
DSDWC

Shane's birds are Borosilicate I believe.

Old 2011-04-11, 1:09pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I love playing around with glaskolben seeing what I can do with it. Being such a newbie it gets really expensive to play with the pre blown tubes. I'd love yellow glowing ornaments and pendants, inside out beads, hollow beads, vessels and forms like those way cool birds so I could find lots of uses for 104 tubing. I think the community at large would go wild to get to try some.
Kevan, you've been making me drool for over a week now. Every day if it's not your stash it's your beads, and your goddesses, the way the forms flow the colour catches the light just adds up to perfection in my eyes...I would love to see what you do with the uranium tubing.
Faerie Frolic
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-11, 1:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
Shane's birds are Borosilicate I believe.
I don't think so - he did a demo on a tv show a few years ago and was using furnace frits and neon (I think) tubing. I for sure remember the furnace glass though.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-11, 1:27pm
Borovangelist

Yep, Shane works soft glass.

|
|
Old 2011-04-11, 1:53pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
I love playing around with glaskolben seeing what I can do with it. Being such a newbie it gets really expensive to play with the pre blown tubes. I'd love yellow glowing ornaments and pendants, inside out beads, hollow beads, vessels and forms like those way cool birds so I could find lots of uses for 104 tubing. I think the community at large would go wild to get to try some.
Kevan, you've been making me drool for over a week now. Every day if it's not your stash it's your beads, and your goddesses, the way the forms flow the colour catches the light just adds up to perfection in my eyes...I would love to see what you do with the uranium tubing.
Faerie Frolic
Rowyn
Thank you, Rowyn. What a nice thing to say.
Old 2011-04-11, 2:50pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Squid is correct . Shane Fero's birds are 90 COE. I used to own one of his videos. Deborah Carlson also uses soft glass neon tubing. It's 90 COE and compatible with Bullseye. That's what we used in her class. She makes these with tubing:

http://www.deborahcarlson.com/galleryWork/organic.html

Old 2011-04-11, 5:03pm
Entropy increasing....

Who makes the 90 COE tubing?
Old 2011-04-11, 5:07pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Who makes the 90 COE tubing?
Neon supply companies make it. I think you have to buy a ton to buy directly from them. I bought a bunch from someone here. I think her name is Acme Girl but I'm not quite sure. It's not expensive compaired to the Lauscha 104 COE tubing.

Old 2011-04-11, 5:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I bought 10 tubes from a local neon shop - I think he charged me a couple of bucks each.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-11, 6:38pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
^ What Mary said - goblets, vases, and particularly ornaments. Also good for hollow bodies for lighter sculptures, such as Shane Fero's birds:

Wow! Thanks for posting these... never seen them before. Outstanding!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-04-11, 6:50pm
circus freak

when at penland a few years ago for my first flameworking class, we took a field trip down the hill to his studio and got to watch him work. i have some crappy cell phone pics somewhere.

-laura
Old 2011-04-12, 4:57am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I learned on soft glass tubing. I do ornaments, vases, bells , perfumes, goblets, etc etc etc

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-04-12, 11:39am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
I learned on soft glass tubing. I do ornaments, vases, bells , perfumes, goblets, etc etc etc

Candice
Who do you get the tubing from?
Old 2011-04-12, 1:00pm
My opinion not needed

I'd use it for easy rod encasing...I do that with boro too. I just have never heard of or seen any soft glass tubing.

Old 2011-04-12, 3:30pm
Entropy increasing....

I still don't know if these rods are boro or soda lime. I did find a couple of pieces of tubes with pulled points that are labeled (the only ones that are) and the label says "soda lime".

So people actually put the cut end of a tube of glass in their mouths and blow into it? That seems dangerous. lol

I've got some opaque tubes, a really big tube of clear, lots of dark blue and dark purple transparent tubes, the uranium tubes, yellow translucent tubes and red translucent tubes, some green transparent tubes. Even an opaque uranium tube.

It needs to be cleaned, it's really dirty from being stored open for 25 years. How to clean a 4 ft tube on the inside???
Old 2011-04-12, 3:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

With these - taped to a longer handle. They are cloth at the tip and work great.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,50560,10209

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-12, 4:59pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I still don't know if these rods are boro or soda lime. I did find a couple of pieces of tubes with pulled points that are labeled (the only ones that are) and the label says "soda lime".

So people actually put the cut end of a tube of glass in their mouths and blow into it? That seems dangerous. lol

I've got some opaque tubes, a really big tube of clear, lots of dark blue and dark purple transparent tubes, the uranium tubes, yellow translucent tubes and red translucent tubes, some green transparent tubes. Even an opaque uranium tube.

It needs to be cleaned, it's really dirty from being stored open for 25 years. How to clean a 4 ft tube on the inside???
Yes, you do blow directly into the tube. When I took Deborah Carlson's class we fire-polished the end of the tube that we would use to blow into (let it cool first - ouchie). We then heated the other end of the tube and melted it closed. You can go from there. We blew globes at the ends of our tubes and rolled them in Bullseye frit. You can pull the globes off off of the end of your tube and then make another until the tube gets too short. I left mine on the tube. It looks like fairy wand.

Old 2011-04-12, 5:19pm

QUOTE=Wiley;3483964]I'd use it for easy rod encasing...I do that with boro too. I just have never heard of or seen any soft glass tubing.[/quote]
I have loads of it, I got from a friend that bought out a scientific glass blower