Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-06, 6:00pm
...as in.. acoustic

Default more oxygen on a HotHead...

Hey anyone~
I didn't think there was a way... but I'm just making sure...

Is there any way to get an oxygenated flame on a HotHead?

Since we cover the holes up to get a Reduction flame, can we blow in those holes to give it more oxygen? (just kidding- but no.. seriously- what can we do?!)

I apologize if there has already been a discussion on this, I searched for it, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-06, 9:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Simple answer, as far as I know, "NO".

Of course, if there IS a way - I wanna know it!!! So you better tell...!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-09-07, 3:02pm
Formerly Sassygirl

Hey De what does it do when you make a tin foil ring around the porst on your hot head?

Old 2009-09-07, 5:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacied View Post
Hey De what does it do when you make a tin foil ring around the porst on your hot head?
Cuts off air flow and makes flame more reducing (oxygen poor)...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-09-08, 12:34pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akustik View Post
Hey anyone~
I didn't think there was a way... but I'm just making sure...

Is there any way to get an oxygenated flame on a HotHead?

Since we cover the holes up to get a Reduction flame, can we blow in those holes to give it more oxygen? (just kidding- but no.. seriously- what can we do?!)

I apologize if there has already been a discussion on this, I searched for it, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your help!
closest i've gotten to simulating an oxy-rich flame is by rotating the bead in the far end of the flame. i used it to remove reduction effects. the exact spot varies with the length of the flame at the time and the glass colours being used.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-09-08, 3:52pm

The HotHead gets it's oxygen from two sources:

* The holes around the base of the burner head, and
* The air around the flame itself.

Blocking off the holes (with rivets, tin foil, etc.) only reduces the available oxygen. The way a HotHead is designed, there is no way to introduce more oxygen to the torch. The best you can do with a HotHead is find the 'sweet spot' in the flame that has the best fuel/air mixture.

Malcolm

PS: Do not, I repeat, *DO NOT* try and mix oxygen with the gas before the torch!!!!! This is extremely dangerous, and can result in DEATH, or worse!!

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-09-15, 10:54am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
...Malcolm PS: Do not, I repeat, *DO NOT* try and mix oxygen with the gas before the torch!!!!! This is extremely dangerous, and can result in DEATH, or worse!!
I know it's not a laughing matter, Mal, but this just a wee bit giggle-worthy! I suppose the only thing that could be WORSE than blowing your face and hands off AND dying is blowing your face and hands off and LIVING! Yikes!

AND I AGREE...don't get cute and try and pipe your oxy from an oxycon or something similar (tank) near the intake holes in the Hot Head!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE, THE SAKE OF YOUR FACE, AND THE STRUCTURE YOU LIVE IN!!!

True, we "play with fire" so to speak a bit when it comes to covering the intake holes (either with foil, an oven mit, welding glove, etc.) BUT PLEASE, DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK!!!! OK?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro