Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-01-05, 11:16am

Default Tube encased boro flowers

Hi guys, I'm new to all of this stuff and am trying to overcome several obstacles.

I have progressive MS and am in a wheelchair. My hands don't work very well at all but I can turn the glas, but not very smoothly. hubby made a stand, but i havent tried it yet. And on top of that I'm legally blind! But I can figure out where I am in the flame by the flare! So, in short, I am probably the last person you really want behind the torch. But... It's hot glass! Who can resist!

So very long intro to a simple question. I can melt and smash. So I put a rod of color into a clear tube and melt away! When I get the gather I want, I smash with the tool and make a flower petal. I don't like the way it stripes so I mash it up more. My hubby also made lattacino for me and that looks better.

I thought you guys might have some ideas for me.

Thanks in advance!
Mary
Old 2012-01-05, 11:33am

Mary,

Just out of curiousity, why the clear tube? Is it because with your MS its easier to handle than the smaller rod by itself?

If you dont really care about turning the rod, You don't have to turn the rod to melt the end of it.

Try using just the rod without the tube - melt the end of the rod into into a ball and then smash. You shouldnt get any stripes of clear and color.

If using soft glass, stick each petal in the kiln until you have 5 or 6.
if you are using boro, skip the kiln step until later.

Grab another rod, heat up the end, take each petal, melt one end and stick to the end of the rod that you just heated up and melted. Do this 5 or 6 times and you'll end up with great flowers.

Now granted, your hands don't work very well, but my first flowers werent all that great and with a little practice, you can have great looking flowers since it doesn't really take alot of rotation to make them.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Good for you for taking on the artistic glass adventure!

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2012-01-05 at 11:37am.
Old 2012-01-05, 11:41am

Thanks!

I use the tube for three reasons:

1- cost, boro color rod is expensive, putting it inside the tube doubles the glass and makes it more transperent.

2- I like the shinier look.

3- my heat control is so bad I always boil!

And I almost forgot... What about encasing striking colors? I've played only a tiny bit with this. Will you guys share what I need to know?

I will try without the encasement and see what I think! Thanks for the help.
Mary

Last edited by Mmjmamamary; 2012-01-05 at 11:47am. Reason: Forgot something
Old 2012-01-05, 11:44am

Here's another option....

Buy some clear boro rod - its also cheap, then take your color rod, melt it and lay it in stripes around part of the length of the clear rod at one end until its completely covered...melt it until it looks like a completely colored rod without any stripes. That will double your color and give you no stripes.

I am thinking that you are getting stripes using the tube because the color inside ends up being on one side or the other of the tube when you smash it. Of course you will end up with clear stripes on the sides even if you get it centered, simply because of the thickness of the glass tubing. I am not sure how to get around that but someone else might. People on LE are pretty good about giving ideas, it just might take a day or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmjmamamary View Post
Thanks!

I use the tube for two reasons:

1- cost, boro color rod is expensive, putting it inside the tube doubles the glass and makes it more transperent.

Mary

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2012-01-05 at 11:49am.
Old 2012-01-05, 11:46am

Quote:
Thanks!

I use the tube for two reasons:

Mary
Two very good reasons I often do the same to stretch my color. Sounds like you have a good sense for this already. Did you get the stand/yoke with rollers?
Old 2012-01-05, 12:00pm

You dead on about the stripes on the side. I really like the idea of color on the outside but wouldn't it boil? I mean I'm REALLY bad at heat control! And I'm still figuring out how to finagle things so I can place stripes!

Along those lines... No we just made a little stand with a hole larger than my rods. The hole is a challenge, but I drop things! ( The leather apron was the first purchase!). So I'm going to play to figure out what works. I have an tinkerers soul!

Mary
Old 2012-01-05, 12:45pm

Welcome I just wanted to say "YOU GO GIRL" I also would like to ask do you drop things because of a lack of strength or are the handles to narrow to hold onto because some times melting a thicker 6 inch piece onto the handle of your punty gives you a better gripping surface to hold in your hand. If you want a chunk to try send me your addy and I will send you a piece to try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-05, 1:29pm

Reds and yellows like to boil so you have to hold them farther out in the flame....I use alot of the "striking" colors and they dont tend to boil but you never know what you get until its finally cool since some kiln strike and some flame striking colors look different hot than they do cool.
Also don't feel bad about heat control....that's what all my friends accuse me of every time i get into the kitchen!

Another thought - not sure how limited your grip and hands are but you could have hubby build something similar to the arm rests that are shown in this link: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ht=bench+liner

It might make it easier for you if you have something to rest your wrists on. You can buy them but a friend made these for me out of some old clamps and it was way cheaper than buying the retail version. Mine are adjustable so I can raise or lower them to the height i need for good flame coverage.

Quote:
You dead on about the stripes on the side. I really like the idea of color on the outside but wouldn't it boil? I mean I'm REALLY bad at heat control! And I'm still figuring out how to finagle things so I can place stripes!

Along those lines... No we just made a little stand with a hole larger than my rods. The hole is a challenge, but I drop things! ( The leather apron was the first purchase!). So I'm going to play to figure out what works. I have an tinkerers soul!

Mary

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2012-01-05 at 1:36pm.
Old 2012-01-05, 1:40pm

Here's a pic of one of the flowers I did - thought it might provide some ideas for you if you saw it - It also shows what I meant by melting each petal onto the rod ( which becomes the stem) the center is actually the end of the rod and all I did was rough it up to become the flower stamens.

I mash the petals using a leaf masher to get the texture. The glass petals were made from MaiTai. The yellow flower behind it shows parts where the glass boiled but don't tell anyone LOL

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2012-01-05 at 1:43pm.
Old 2012-01-06, 5:45am
Run Free Sweet Boy

have you seen the mandrel spinners? that might be a great solution for you.

I also stripe color down a clear rod to make my boro color go further when doing sculpture work. you can also vary the stripes of color, and end up with lovely striped leaves

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-01-06, 5:53am

Where are you located in the US?
maybe someone on LE lives near you and can drop by and offer some suggestions on your set up and techniques?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-01-06, 9:54am

Thanks so much for your kind replies everyone!

THEY HAVE MANDREL SPINNERS? You have made my day! Showed hubby this thread last night and got some ideas to try. He even helped me make a few test petals! I'm getting a little closer everyday!

Also, I'm in a suburb of Seattle, Kingston, and would love to visit other artists studios, but access is often a problem. But any Seattlites that want a day at the beach are welcome to visit my studio!

Thank you so much,
Mary
Old 2012-01-06, 10:19am

I found a source for the spinner. I think ABR imagery carries them also. They are a bit pricey but if they help your skill level, its worth it right?

http://www.delphiglass.com/flamework...andrel-spinner

I am sure there are other sources, don't know if they differ much in price.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:58am
Always Improving

We are in Seattle!
If you want to try the mandrel spinners I have two and would be glad to let you try one for week or so.

They are made in LaConner. These are just the best tool.

Pm me if you are interested.

Mike...