Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-07, 12:51pm

Default Making long cylinder beads

I have made a few long cylinder beads, (about 1 to 1.5 inches) and I was hoping you would have some advice for me.
About one third of the beads would not come off the mandrel. I use 'Franz bead separator' bead release and I have no issues removing other types of beads.
Should I 'double dip' or use another type of bead release for beads like this?

Also, any recommendations on shaping them, would be very helpful. I have a design in mind with a certain type of glass I found. (Literally found, dumped waste from a German glass eye maker for dolls). I only have a very limited amount of this glass, and would hate to ruin it on newbie mistakes.
Old 2013-09-07, 1:04pm
Loving learning

Will the beads rotate, but not come off, or do they not move at all?

Have you checked your mandrels to be sure there is not a bend in them?
Old 2013-09-07, 1:09pm

You can try all the bead removal methods we often try for stuck beads.
Grip and twist the bead. Usually with pliers and a rubber grip mat.
Drag the mandrel across concrete or other hard uneven surface.
Bounce the mandrel like a pogo stick.
Put them in the freezer.
Soak in water or vinagar and try the grip and twist again.
Rivet tool. Though this may crack some beads.
I'm not sure if a water pick or ultrasonic cleaner would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-07, 1:10pm

That was quick!
The mandrels are not bent. Still working with pretty new mandrels, being a newbie....
The beads will not budge, also not after soaking. I was able to get one off with the trick I read somewhere on here about rubbing against pavement tiles.
Two of them eventually had chips come off the ends from me attempting to get them off the mandrel. I want to have another go at making cylinder beads, and hoping to get a better result.
Old 2013-09-07, 1:11pm

Thanks for those unsticking tips as well. Just wondering of there is something I could be doing differently with these beads to prevent them from getting stuck.....
Old 2013-09-07, 1:12pm

You may try double dipping for future experiments.

Old 2013-09-07, 1:20pm

Hi there, Floorkasp!

I generally soak my beads in warm water for a bit before trying to take them off the mandrels...

Are you pulling or twisting? Are you holding the mandrel in your hand or using some sort of grippy tool? Try holding the mandrel with pliers or something, and gently rotate the bead back and forth until it starts to move; dip it back in the water and keep twisting until the bead is rotating freely; the mandrel should slide right out.

If the beads aren't moving at all, it's possible that you broke the bead release under the bead and the glass is stuck to the mandrel; if it starts to move but then gets stuck, there may be a bend in the mandrel - you may be able to (carefully!) work the bead back in the other direction and slide it off the other side, or it may just be stuck... If you keep having these issues, try making some in clear or a pale transparent, so you can see if the bead release is breaking...

Good luck!
Old 2013-09-07, 1:48pm
Glass-aholic

Long beads are tricky to get off! I have more bent mandrels from them...........
Slow work at them usually works for me, just giggle them for what seems like forever and they loosen right up... Eventually!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-07, 2:10pm

As mentioned, I'd recommend soaking them for 15mins to overnight in water and then use a pair of pliers to grip the mandrel right above the bead while twisting the bead back and forth. Unless your bead release broke and you got the glass at the mandrel stuck to the steel you should be able to get it off. I make long beads all the time and love fosterfire bead release for these (and all my other beads too lol)!

Tina

Old 2013-09-07, 2:53pm
honorary bead lady

An inch? 3-4 maybe, but an inch? Shouldn't be a problem at all
Old 2013-09-07, 4:53pm

Be sure you are thoroughly heating the bead release and mandrel. Everywhere you plan to put glass needs to get to the white red stage. Insufficient heating will insure that you will be making plant stakes instead of beads.
Old 2013-09-07, 5:11pm

Are you letting your bead release dry thoroughly (overnight)? Should you be heating the release or don't they recommend that?

Do you see it cracking while you're working, or do you see it flaking off on your work surface? If you do, just chunk the bead now, it will stick later, promise.

Trick I learned from a class with Kimberly Affleck on long, thin beads. When you marver the bead, hit the marver "moving", already have your spin going. Think - hit the ground running.

I am really glad I invested in the rivet tool. The only beads I break are the ones that would not have come off anyway.

Barbara
Old 2013-09-08, 2:34am

Thanks for all your advice. Will be trying all of those in my session today!
Old 2013-09-08, 7:46am

Think I found the problem. Made three beads in a transparant glass, two were fine, third one clearly showed that I cracked the bead release inside. Pretty sure I have not been getting the glass hot enough before marvering. The result, applying too much pressure when marvering and just twisting the bead release off the mandrel. Great tip, working with a clear glass to see what is happening to the bead release. Now, it's just back to more practice!