No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-17, 5:49pm
Chrissy

Lightbulb Check list

I bought a cricket today! I also bought a M15 oxycon(unlimited oxygen for 550, cant get much cheaper than that) and a Paragon Fusion 7 w/ bead door(I got it from clayking for 722 with shipping and tax). Now all I have to do is figure out how to set all this stuff up. I know that I need to buy hoses but which ones? How? Where? This is so much more complicated than the HH. If somone could walk me through this I would very much appriciate the help! I have about 400 dollars left for all the extras.
Old 2009-02-17, 5:59pm

Chrissy,
You'll need hoses,flashback arresters,and a propane regulator. the oxycon puts out only 15 psi and can be controled at the torch. here's a site for hoses.Lots of glass / torch suppliers carry these. I think the cricket has a male hose connection, so the gas and oxy hoses only need fittings on one end.
http://www.sundanceglass.com/gas%20e...m#anchor558325

Kevin
Old 2009-02-17, 6:11pm

Sorry, by the way. I had just left a wordy piece on your Concentrator thread that Tolstoy would envy. As you have already moved ahead with the concentrator, disreguard it as ranting and enjoy the glass. Which is what I would buy with 75% of your warchest.
Kevin
Old 2009-02-17, 6:14pm
Chrissy

thats ok... I really appriciate all the help... I have been learning on a hh with a friend and she told me that one m15 would run my lynx. So when I got on here today and found out that I couldn't I cancelled my lynx order and switched it out for a cricket. Now that I have the larger oxycon it wont hurt so bad to upgrade in the future!
Old 2009-02-17, 6:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You don't need to have flashback arrestors with a surface mix torch like the cricket. You can use one if you want to, but it's not necessary. If you want, you can get the right hose and reg at a local welding shop - and while you're there you can pick up some TIG welding rods to make your own ever-so-much-cheaper mandrels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-17, 6:25pm
Chrissy

thx squid
Old 2009-02-17, 6:37pm

For what it's worth, not having an arrester on at least the propane line is just plain wrong. And the notion a flashback can't happen on a surface mix is just that, a notion. It does'nt happen very often, but it has happened.It's a really cheap fix to a really unreversible event.
Old 2009-02-17, 6:50pm

Default Flashbacks DO happen on surface mix torches!

....And I'm a (still) living example of someone who figured out how to have a flashback on a surface mix torch.

It's not common, but it CAN happen. Happened to me when I was first torching. Been a long time, so I don't remember if my propane or my oxy flashback arrestor blew, but I believe I didn't check my propane tank and let it run out as I was working. I was just glad I had those arrestors!

If you have an internal problem or failure of your torch, this could perhaps put you at risk, too. Low probability, given the high quality of most torches made for lampworking, but not impossible.

It's pretty easy to forget to check a tank, though, like I did. For that reason alone, I would recommend flashbacks.

Linda
Old 2009-02-17, 6:54pm
Chrissy

Smile

I would never run the risk of explosion even if there was a 1 percent chance of it happening. I have too many things in life to live for to save 50 bucks! Thank you for looking out!