Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-07-26, 8:14am
Redhot Torch Mama

Default Black Pearl. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

OK, so i bought some GA black pearl. Lovely blues and greens show on the sample on the site. Looked good to me! Followed all their directions and .... nothing. Nada. Zip. A tiny wisp of blue or green here or there. I've worked it hot, cool, reduced, you name it, called it everything but Bob.

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks,
Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-26, 11:09am

I had some and it was easy to reduce to blue and green, with some marvering or the flame. If yours is that resistant to reaction, sounds like either it was mismarked or a dud batch. If you bought much of it, you could call the vendor and see if they could replace it.
Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2009-07-27, 7:19am
The Venerable Bead

black pearl is my all time favorite implosion blue/green. try it

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2009-08-12, 1:00pm
Normal is Boring!!

green blues come out when I encase it only- try to encase it.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-08-12, 9:39pm

yes the best blues and greens.
G.
Old 2009-08-14, 9:18pm

a picture would help a lot.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-08-14, 10:20pm

I only have had good results with it by working it once and striking. It has so much silver that it will muddy up very quickly otherwise. Like they said...encase it and you will get those tasty colors too.

Try taking a 3mm rod and encasing it so you have a thin clear coat..
Oh and hello haters

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-08-15, 5:26am
Redhot Torch Mama

No picture necessary -- just picture a plain, black rod. That's all I'm getting.

I'll try encasing and see what I get, though!

Thanks,
Kelly

Old 2009-08-15, 7:15am
Hummel factory reject

Kelly, you may have received a bad batch or the wrong color completely. Black pearl will reveal it's silvery goodness very quickly once in the flame. If you would like a rod of black pearl to compare just p.m. me. Your supplier may have had a mix up.

Old 2009-08-15, 10:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Kelly, you may have received a bad batch or the wrong color completely. Black pearl will reveal it's silvery goodness very quickly once in the flame. If you would like a rod of black pearl to compare just p.m. me. Your supplier may have had a mix up.
If the rod won't change in any flame, then your probably have black violet or something. Heat the tip of a rod, squash it very thin, and then hold it up to the light to see what the base color is.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-08-19, 8:25pm

I get great results for Black Pearl, I think you have some other color.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-08-20, 12:44pm
Borovangelist

And if what they suggested doesn't work, call it Bob

|
|
Old 2009-08-23, 12:59pm
Complete Noob

Blue Green, you bet. What a nice surprise!

Two cents from a complete Noob jumping in here, but after reading this thread, and based on Paula(VenBead)'s suggestion, I pulled the Black Pearl sample that was languishing untried with the other supposed "ho-hum" colors in my GA sample pack, and gave it a quick try. The attached shows the remaining rod after stringer pull, and how it changed, and the resultant implosion. I did not deliberately try to reduce, just a simple dot/maria implosion. The Black Pearl did the colors all by itself.

(Simax clear, GA Black Pearl dots, GA Raven bail)

Last edited by bgc1865; 2009-08-23 at 1:01pm.