LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-03, 6:20am

Smile Using enamels

I just received my Rio Grande catalog, a lot of nice stuff. They also sent me there enamel catalog which talks about enamels over metal. Are these the same enamels we would use on glass and I thought I read somewhere that enamels could be used on any coe of glass.
Thanks
Bob Proulx:
Old 2008-02-03, 6:31am
<--- Time traveler

I believe they are not as compatible as the ones developed specifically for glass. It is my understanding that Kate Fowle worked with Thompson to develop the 104 line that we use, but I could be misinformed.

You can buy enamels from several of the larger distributors; here's a link to the Thompson products on Frantz's web site:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....acturers_id=43
Old 2008-02-03, 6:41am

Thanks cghipp for your time and help.
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-02-03, 8:12pm
It's all about the color.

Here is a color chart that shows you what the colors will look like on a white base.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads...r%20chart2.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Listenup; 2008-02-03 at 8:14pm.
Old 2008-02-03, 8:24pm
<--- Time traveler

That chart is SO helpful - thanks for putting it together!
Old 2008-02-04, 12:56am

My pleasure.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-02-04, 10:10am
One Crazy Mama

kay you are awesome! thank you for taking the time to do that!!!!!

Old 2008-02-04, 10:45am

I just realized that the page was wrong. When I added the clear enamel, I didn't update the enamel count from 39 to 40.
I've just taken care of that.

Old 2008-02-04, 2:15pm

Thumbs up Great chart

Thanks for the chart this will be a big help.
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-02-08, 5:53pm
Glass my new Obsession

Can enamels be encased?

Old 2008-02-09, 3:41pm
Noobie

Im not sure if they can be encased or how they look..Ill have to try it when I get my ventilation working properly again. I love the look of enamel stringers and I have been wearing a mask when applying the stingers..I wonder if the enamel stringers can be encased and when applied does a mask still need to be worn??? I dont have a lot of exsperience w/ enamels, but have always worn a mask when applying, If i dont have to, I think I would work with them a lot more as I hate wearing that mask.
Old 2008-02-09, 9:52pm
szglassy

Hi Cherie

What king of a mask do you use?

Thanks!
Old 2008-02-09, 10:01pm
Life is change. Love it

Once the enamels are made into stringers, you don't need to wear a mask. It is only when you are initially using them in 'free form', ie they can float in the air, that a mask is essential. You need an N100 mask

Old 2008-02-10, 9:09pm
She better not sell these

Kay,
That is a fantastic chart! I have been fumbling around with my enamels, and been putting them on teensy test beads and marking the beads with a sharpie pen to ID them. I like your way much better!

Thank you so much for sharing with us

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-02-16, 4:07am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
Im not sure if they can be encased or how they look..Ill have to try it when I get my ventilation working properly again. I love the look of enamel stringers and I have been wearing a mask when applying the stingers..I wonder if the enamel stringers can be encased and when applied does a mask still need to be worn??? I dont have a lot of exsperience w/ enamels, but have always worn a mask when applying, If i dont have to, I think I would work with them a lot more as I hate wearing that mask.
Yes, you can encase your enamels, and you can encase the stringers as well. It creates a different effect than a straight enamel stringer would.

Kate Fowle did work with Thompson to get the 104 enamles we have today. (Just took her class at the Mandrel last weekend.)

There are also enamels for Bullseye, and for copper/silver metals.

The enamel acrylic paints and enamel watercolor paints are for any COE of glass. Those you paint onto your cold bead and then refire.

-Amy
Old 2008-08-21, 6:51am

Are these enamels are different then the ones you would buy in the art supply section of ac moore or michaals. Has anyone used them? I want to try some things out before I buy anything from my wholesaler because I have to buy a lot of the same item when I order but the prices are great.
Old 2008-08-21, 7:32am
tweetysweetie

Kay, just stumbled upon this thread as I was surfing around...wonderful link that you shared...thanks so much. The colors are so beautiful, makes me want to get the enamels down off the shelf and dust them off and USE them!

Old 2008-08-21, 10:23am

I'm just replying so I can keep track of this thread! Sweet!