LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-04, 7:55am
Pink pink pink!

Default Aether and Ekho compatibility issues?

I made a whole bunch of rounds and pillows with ekho and aether yesterday and half of them have cracks. Not your standard thermal cracks but jaggety cracks all through the aether layer in all sorts of directions. Not quite sure if this is a known problem as I'm not a usual aether user as the cost is quite high and you can't get it in the UK but from what small stash I have I wouldn't have expected it to crack against a DH glass. I've used it successfully with aurae before this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Sparkly treats at All That Sparkles Jewellery**
Old 2010-11-04, 8:43am
Tweedle Dumb

There was a post in the Bathroom the other day, and the person said they had problems with Aether and one of the DH glasses... but for the life of me I can't remember which. Jed and/or Julie addressed their concerns in the bathroom too, so the thread is gone.

ETA: I don't know if this is the same person that posted in the bathroom. But is was also addressed in this thread on the second page.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...06#post3239806

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-11-04 at 8:54am.
Old 2010-11-05, 7:30am

every bead I have made with terra2 as a base and encased with aether has cracked.
I have only done this three times .
I was wondering if anyone else noticed this?
Old 2010-11-05, 4:05pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Aether and Ekho

We’re sorry to hear about this. Shahlaa kindly provided us with additional details about the glasses she purchased and her batch annealing process. Yesterday we tested our stiffest Aether against a softer batch of Ekho. The result was 451 PSI. Even if we double this actual result for the worst case possible but, highly unlikely scenario, we’d still be within the safe limit of 1,000 PSI at 902 PSI. Although this is within the safe limit there are processes that introduce additional strain into glass. Having a metal heat sink (i.e. a mandrel), super chilling with presses and leaving the pieces unannealed will add more strain. Annealing immediately should help to relieve these additional strains. We do not recommend batch annealing. Although many beads can survive it, it will reduce your success rate with compatible glasses that are at a higher strain point.

Just to put these numbers in perspective when we did our own testing of soft glass manufacturer’s PSI spreads we had samples over 2,000 PSI that did not break.

All that being said, we are always happy to replace any glass of ours that is giving you trouble for any reason and will pay the shipping, even when it’s going to the UK! We’d even be happy to pre-test your glasses before we ship them.
Thanks
Jed and Julie
Old 2010-11-18, 10:06am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I use Aether with all of the DH Glasses. No problems at all with compatibility. Is it possible that you might be cooling the bead a tad long before encasing? Sometimes it can be almost impossible to tell the difference between thermal and incompatibility cracks.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-11-18, 10:10am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Just a thought.....I had an incident recently where a rod of the dreaded Precision Diamond Clear (honestly - I don't know where that stuff keeps coming from, I thought I had purged it all!) got into my Aether bowl and I didn't notice until I had already made a few beads...(all cracked). You can usually tell the Aether rods because if you lay them down next to other clears, the ends will look very slightly greenish/gray (kind of an old coke bottle shade - but lighter). Once I banished the crappy clear and returned to the Aether I had no more issues.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-11-18, 3:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Just a thought.....I had an incident recently where a rod of the dreaded Precision Diamond Clear (honestly - I don't know where that stuff keeps coming from, I thought I had purged it all!) got into my Aether bowl and I didn't notice until I had already made a few beads...(all cracked). You can usually tell the Aether rods because if you lay them down next to other clears, the ends will look very slightly greenish/gray (kind of an old coke bottle shade - but lighter). Once I banished the crappy clear and returned to the Aether I had no more issues.
this is a definite possibility
I'm going to try again .