Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-09-24, 3:58am

Default Other inside hazards?

OK - I've gotten good advice about how to redo my shed for ventilation but my SO has said - why don't you use the spare bedroom and not worry about weather - people stealing glass, etc.?

I have my DD old bedroom on the front of the house. The carpet is ruined and the walls ain't so great either. I was converting it to an eBay/sorting attic stuff/general workroom. It has one window and a door directly across from the window leading from the hall.

His thoughts and mine: I could take out carpet or laydown fireboard (not sure of term) around torch area. Put metal desk I have for torching area and kiln in front of window. Fan in door behind me would bring in fresh air (and dog hair). Vent hood would be installed above desk and out top of window - no chance of contaminated air intake, Oxygen would be from concentrator. Propane would be outside of window and the hose run in through window. Fire alarm is outside in hallway above doorway. I can installed CO detectors. We have fire extinquishers.

Questions:

1/ I tend to spill frit and shock rods - is it better to remove carpet completely? Animals will not be allowed in room to cut paws.

2/ With propane tank outside (and I need to check insurance and fire inspector), probably in some sort of box, how do I get out there to turn off tank and bleed my hose - I can't leave torch burning. That part eludes me. How do quick disconnects work? Would they help?

As usual, the help received is greatly appreciated!

Martha
Old 2005-09-24, 7:34am
Safety ALWAYS

First of all, a fan in the doorway of an inside door *IS NOT* a source of fresh air. The fresh air *HAS TO* come from outside - somewhere - either an open window in another part of the house or a duct from outside. You can't turn on an exhaust fan in your house without having replacement fresh air coming from the outside of the house.

Ok - for the other issues - you don't have to remove your carpets. Here's what I have done in my studio. The place I rent from has carpets on the floor, and I was not permitted to remove them - even if I could - it would be a mess, they are cemented to the floor. I put resin paper down (it's the red stuff that flooring professionals put down to prevent squeeks). On top of the resin paper, I put down 3/4 inch thick compostition board, also called underlayment. Then another layer of resin paper and finally, 1/4 inch "tempered hardboard". The "tempered hardboard" is a very hard material with resists wear and tear as well as burning. It has a smooth surface, making it real easy to clean, either with a broom or a vacuum. I've dropped white hot glass on the hardboard, and there has been some scorching and a very small amount of flame, but as soon as the hot glass was removed, the fire went out. I highly recommend this stuff. Also because it is smooth, you can use roller chairs and scoot around quite easily.

For the propane tanks, check with a local home improvement store and see if they stock Rubbermaid (or other plastic manufacturer) "deck boxes". I use one that holds up to 4 - 20 pound tanks at a time. We cut a notch in the hinged top so that the hose was not compressed by the top when closed, and put a conduit clamp to keep the hose from moving around and abraiding.

We use quick disconnects on all our tank to hose connections. There is a special QD that is available that will screw right to the regulator output.

If your exhaust system is ducting out the window, and the deck box is right below that, have a removable section of the window blocked off (you will need this to prevent exhaust air from coming back into the house). When you are setting your pressure, simply remove the section, adjust the regulator and replace the block. If it is too far down, use concrete garden blocks to raise the box to a level where you can reach it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-25, 4:13am

Good stuff Mike - thank you! I'm printing out threads for my SO to read and help me setup when he gets home.

I usually have my bedroom window (across hall) open a bit for fresh air. If I understand correctly, if I have that window open some and the doors to the bedrooms open and then the fan bringing air in from the hall then it might be acceptable?

Thank you!

Martha
Old 2005-09-26, 4:25am
Safety ALWAYS

Yes, provided the open window is open wide enough to supply the needed fresh air.

For example: an 8" round duct supplys 350 CFM of "free flow" fresh air. This translates to 50 square inches. So, if your fan pushes 350 CFM, you have to have your window open to an area that is at least 50 square inches.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world