No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-16, 10:21pm

Default Problem with propane

Hi,

Tonight after I had been torching for about an hour or so, my propane starts acting up. It started jumping from 5 to 10 and then down to 5 then to 0, etc. I kept adjusting the valve at the tank and on the torch, but it kept jumping around. Why? It is a new tank. I checked for leaks and didn't find any.

It is cold outside. Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Christie
Old 2005-11-17, 7:20am

Now that I have had a chance to read some other posts...

Maybe I am having the problem because my hoses are coiled on the floor. Mike explained to Burt in another post why this is a problem.

I will try lifting my hoses above the tank...crossing fingers...

Christie
Old 2005-11-17, 7:44am
Safety ALWAYS

It's also due to the cold. As you use propane, the temperature of the tank (and the liquid propane itself) drops. If the surrounding air temperature is also cold, you get kind of a double whammy.

Up here in Minnesota it is currently about 6 above zero right now. We will be wrapping our propane tanks with an electric blanket as we work today and Friday/Saturday. Keeping the tanks warm in this fashion will help keep your propane at a reasonable pressure.

Burt was using a Hot Head torch - if you are not using a Hot Head, you will not have the same problem - the regulator attached to the tank filters the odorant and prevents it from being sucked down into the hose. People with regulators rarely if ever have a problem with gunk buildup in the hoses.

More likely the problem is the temperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-17, 7:58am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help. An electric blanket, huh?!? I had no idea. Interesting. I will keep my tank warm tonight...I think I have a heating pad somewhere...

Guess I can go lower my hoses now. Thanks for letting me know that problem is specific to a HH.

I learn something new every day!
Christie
Old 2005-11-17, 3:10pm

Default still not working...

Well, my tank is warm, but still moody. My propane regulator is all over the place 5, 10, 0,10, 5, 0...it won't stay in one spot. This happened from the moment I lit the torch. I try to work then the flame flares up, then down, etc. The regulator would read 0, but I would still have a flame...it did go out after awhile.

Help! I want to make beads!
Christie
Old 2005-11-17, 8:07pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Sound like regulator is trying to tell you its about to expire...

Dale M.

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-17, 8:23pm

I thought that might be the problem. Ugh! It didn't last all that long. Can I buy a new one at Home Depot or something or do I have to go through a specialty shop?

Thanks!
Christie
Old 2005-11-18, 5:19am
boro color bender

Depending on what your torch requires, you can use a pancake regulator from Home Depot. You can't really dial in the pressure, but they're cheap and work for a long time. It's the kind you use on BBQ's. if you need the other type, you can check Ebay or your local welding shop.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-11-18, 9:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

I used a pancake style (bbq) regulator for propane with a National 8M with SM7 tip and it worked fine. Using a pancake regulator is about the same as using residential pressure (about 1/3psi) natural gas. Only propane burns a little hotter.

Think regulator and "B" fitting adapter and all made pancake regulator about a $24 investmet. I got my regulator and most parts at a RV travel center. But had to get "B" fitting (for welding hose) at welding supply.

Dale.

Old 2005-11-18, 10:37am
Fire and Fluidity

Here in Kodiak, I have had the same problem with varying pressures, very specifically related to outside temperature. It seemed to happen only when my 100# tank was full or nearly so, the temp was about 41 degrees or lower, and was cured by the heat blanket trick.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2005-11-18, 11:22am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith
Here in Kodiak, I have had the same problem with varying pressures, very specifically related to outside temperature. It seemed to happen only when my 100# tank was full or nearly so, the temp was about 41 degrees or lower, and was cured by the heat blanket trick.

-Don-
Yes..Propane pressures are temperature sensitive. The lower the temperature the less the ability of the liquid gas in tank has to evaporate into a gaseous (vapor) form to be supplied to tank outlet valve. At about -40f. the evaporation process completely stops.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-11-21 at 10:39am.
Old 2005-11-19, 9:05am
Dichro Queen

Winter has arrived here in Indiana as well. Mike and Dale, when you use an electric blanket, do you have to do anything special regarding using it outside w/ snow etc? I hope I am not sounding too stupid but... I keep my propane tank in a small plastic container normally used to house garden hoses, gardening tools etc. Do you just wrap the blanket in a single layer around the tank? Also, with it being plugged in (I am assuming), is there any danger of moisture from snow etc. short circuiting it? What temp do you keep the blanket at? Do you plug it into an outdoor outlet or run an extension cord to it from the inside. Sorry if this is alot of questions, but I truly want to be safe and also torch through the coming winter with a "happy" propane tank. Thanks in advance for your answers. So glad you are there to help!!!

Jenny
Old 2005-11-19, 9:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

Sorry I can't give definitive answer for you as I have had no experience with having to wrap a tank to keep it warm. (sunny California)... What comes to mind for me is those electric heating cords used for water pipes.... The are pretty tough and can probably withstand the elements. Any sort of protection for tank to keep down exposure to elements will probably make a difference. Even placing something as simple as a upside down garbage can over tank can help protect from elements. Maybe put tank inside a garbage can so you can just remove lid to turn on, just be sure that there is some vent holes at base of can so any leaking propane will not pool there.

Dale

Old 2005-11-21, 7:27am
Safety ALWAYS

I use a rubbermaid tub to keep my tanks in. The blanket is first wrapped around the outside of the active tank, then tucked around the top, leaving only the upper section free so that the regulator and valve can be adjusted.

Most modern blankets are set up with an 8 hour timer on them so they automatically shut off, this is a very good idea IMHO - I leave mine plugged in all the time, and about an hour or so before I need to use the tank, I run down the the studio and turn the control to "on" and "high". The control is kep inside the box, as it is not really designed for exposure to weather at all. I've got a small hole bored in the rubbermaid box for the electrical wire.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-21, 10:01am
Dichro Queen

Thank you for the information! Dale, I am from California, and I envy you your winters!! My friend in San Francisco enjoys emailing me when we are at -10 and telling me how cold 43 degrees is. Mike, this is exactly the information that I needed. What a simple and elegant solution to the winter blues! Since snow is predicted for the next 4 days, I am off to buy an electric blanket this afternoon! Thanks for keeping me torching through winter!

Jenny
Old 2005-11-21, 10:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokomis
Thank you for the information! Dale, I am from California, and I envy you your winters!! My friend in San Francisco enjoys emailing me when we are at -10 and telling me how cold 43 degrees is. Mike, this is exactly the information that I needed. What a simple and elegant solution to the winter blues! Since snow is predicted for the next 4 days, I am off to buy an electric blanket this afternoon! Thanks for keeping me torching through winter!

Jenny

Well.... Its been in the high 70's to low 80's the last couple of days... Supposed to be that way through Thanksgiving... But it did get down to 58 last night...

Dale

Old 2005-11-24, 9:44am
Dichro Queen

Now Dale, come on now, no need to flaunt your exquisite weather!!! It is snowing here, with 35-50 mph gusts of wind and the temps are in the single digits..... but hey, we have mighty good corn! Ok, so there are no redeeming factors in order to make a comparison between your winter and ours! Went out and bought the electric blanket which is currently ON OUR BED...not sure the tank will get it if my hubby and the dog have anything to to say about the matter! LOL. I hope everyone has a wonderful Turkey Day and they get a bit of torch time in as well!

Ready to eat turkey and then have the required post feast nap!

Jenny