No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-11, 5:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
Hi Kalera! I am a newbie, living in an area of Ohio that doesn't seem to have anyone teaching beadmaking, so I am learning on my own through books, dvd and this forum. My question is that I am seeing bead with dots of silver, that the artists list in their description as pure silver wire. How is this added to a molten hot bead, and is it soft wire or half hard wire that is used?
You have to use very thin fine silver wire... I don't myself use this technique, so I'm not the best person to explain how it's done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-11, 6:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Avis View Post
Hi Kalera,

Another newbie here. Really appreciate all this information. Thank you. Your beads are beyond wonderful.

BTY I would the first in line to buy that book if you ever write it. Also if you ever decide to teach a class, please add me to the list.

In the mean time here are my questions and thank you again for freely sharing so much great information.

Are there any books that you would recommend specifically for frit?
What is silvered sand?
I'm not that familiar with the recent books, but I've heard good things about Val Cox's Frit Secrets.

Silvered sand is my description for what ivory looks like with silver leaf burned onto it.

Old 2011-04-17, 1:41pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Kalera,

I am trying the swirl method that you use, taking the cold stringer and twisting. How do you do this and not get the whole bead twisted out of shape? I melt it back to it's original shape but I lose most of the swirl or wave look.
thanks

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-17, 2:40pm

Default Glass changes colour

I am using 104 glass but which ever colour I use it never
Comes out the same colour.
I am using a midranger Nortel with a minor on top, bottled
Oxygen.
When I heat clear it has a smokey effect in the heated glass
And when it cools it goes a brown smokey colour.
1. On bottled oxygen , am I using too much oxygen which
Causes the glass to change colour.
2. When I use red it turns blue.
3. When the bead cools the colours are different to the
Original colour.
I am getting confused to why the glass changes colour
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
Old 2011-04-17, 4:52pm

Hi again,

I received your Romance frit from That Frit Girl and OMG...you can't put it down. I started off with white, and then started to work through my glass one colour at a time. I couldn't stop making those beads. It is a WONDERFUL frit and I LOVE IT. I etched most of the beads, but I think I'll try tumbling the next ones.

There is one of bead set that I would love to know your secret.

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12593
Old 2011-04-17, 5:19pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Kalera,
your flowering garden beads, what is your frit for that? those took my breath away as did the beads someone posted and asked about on the first page of this thread.

I tried to scan thru and see if this question had been answered but my add and inability to physically sit at the puter for as long as I would like are interfering.

there was another set of beads with a pink base, I have to go find them again, and I'll be back to ask what that was.
as always, thanks, this thread (and you) continue to give and share.
we cannot have a true spiritual relationship with our creator until we have right relationships with other people. Your selfless act of giving is a window into your heart and mind. thank you for that. thanks for being you.
namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-04-17, 6:40pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
Hi Kalera! I am a newbie, living in an area of Ohio that doesn't seem to have anyone teaching beadmaking, so I am learning on my own through books, dvd and this forum. My question is that I am seeing bead with dots of silver, that the artists list in their description as pure silver wire. How is this added to a molten hot bead, and is it soft wire or half hard wire that is used?
Hey Kalera! Thought I'd chime in and answer this question since I actually do know the answer to this one

You use silver wire 30g or 32g if you can find it. Basically you have to get your base bead warm but not molten. Then touch the wire to the bead - it's a careful process whereby you want the silver to adhere to the bead but not burn off in the flame. Just imagine you're using the silver wire like a very fine stringer. You need to find the sweet spot in the flame (well, really it's near not in the flame!). Then, when you've wrapped the silver wire around the bead several times you heat the whole thing up. The silver will ball up. Make sure to melt the silver in enough as it will pop off if not just like dots with undercuts.

Hope that helped!

-Yee

Old 2011-04-18, 11:55am
Bead maker and bead buyer

I just wanted to say that one of Kalera's tips gave me that "Aha!" moment. I have no idea why this never occurred to me before, but now I'm using a spoon for frit like Kalera suggested early in this thread. It's so much easier to get good coverage, and I'm not risking breaking my bead release like I was when using the tray by itself.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-19, 4:57pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Hi Kalera,

I am trying the swirl method that you use, taking the cold stringer and twisting. How do you do this and not get the whole bead twisted out of shape? I melt it back to it's original shape but I lose most of the swirl or wave look.
thanks

I let the whole bead cool down, then, using a small is flame, I spot-heat just the area I want to twist. I do this all the way around, then carefully melt it smooth again. Hope that helps!

Old 2011-04-19, 4:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrak64 View Post
I am using 104 glass but which ever colour I use it never
Comes out the same colour.
I am using a midranger Nortel with a minor on top, bottled
Oxygen.
When I heat clear it has a smokey effect in the heated glass
And when it cools it goes a brown smokey colour.
1. On bottled oxygen , am I using too much oxygen which
Causes the glass to change colour.
2. When I use red it turns blue.
3. When the bead cools the colours are different to the
Original colour.
I am getting confused to why the glass changes colour
Any thoughts ?
Thanks

I believe you are either not getting enough oxygen in the mix, or overheating the glass... try turning down your propane, turning up your oxygen, or working farther away from the face of the torch.

Old 2011-04-19, 5:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanithS View Post
Hi again,

I received your Romance frit from That Frit Girl and OMG...you can't put it down. I started off with white, and then started to work through my glass one colour at a time. I couldn't stop making those beads. It is a WONDERFUL frit and I LOVE IT. I etched most of the beads, but I think I'll try tumbling the next ones.

There is one of bead set that I would love to know your secret.

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12593
Thank you!

That bead is made with a base of Bullseye French Vanilla, covered with silver foil then carefully rolled in Reichenbach Iris Violet powder spread in a thin layer on a marver, then encased.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:22pm.
Old 2011-04-19, 5:02pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Kalera,
your flowering garden beads, what is your frit for that? those took my breath away as did the beads someone posted and asked about on the first page of this thread.

I tried to scan thru and see if this question had been answered but my add and inability to physically sit at the puter for as long as I would like are interfering.

there was another set of beads with a pink base, I have to go find them again, and I'll be back to ask what that was.
as always, thanks, this thread (and you) continue to give and share.
we cannot have a true spiritual relationship with our creator until we have right relationships with other people. Your selfless act of giving is a window into your heart and mind. thank you for that. thanks for being you.
namaste
Rowyn

Thank you so much Rowyn!

The flowering garden frit is one that has so many colors in it I don't even know what it is anymore... lots of bright furnace glass frits I've mixed and re-mixed so many times that I couldn't even tell you.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:23pm.
Old 2011-04-19, 5:02pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks for answering that, Yee! And Damselfly, I'm so happy that tip was helpful!

Old 2011-04-19, 6:00pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you.
I was wondering, how has putting yourself out there and answering all these questions and getting all this feedback effected you? You are giving quite a gift here, has anything changed for you like the way you work or see your work? What have you gotten as the result of all this giving?

Old 2011-04-20, 2:47pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Thank you.
I was wondering, how has putting yourself out there and answering all these questions and getting all this feedback effected you? You are giving quite a gift here, has anything changed for you like the way you work or see your work? What have you gotten as the result of all this giving?
This was a hard question, I really had to think about it!

At first I thought that nothing had really changed... but after a while, it dawned on me that one of the things that's happening right now in my life is that I am looking at going back to school, and going back to making beads part-time. I think that in a way, this thread, and spilling my techniques/secrets, is helping me let go of this phase of my life. I will always be a beadmaker... who knows, I may even do it full-time again someday... but for right now, it's helping me to un-attach from feelings of owning these techniques and styles, and easing the separation. I have a sense of there having been purpose in the years I spent developing them, and hope that many people find them useful in developing and defining their own aesthetic.

The funny thing is, I had no idea when I started this thread that I was going to go back to school!

Old 2011-04-20, 2:59pm
Nikki Haverstock

Dear Kalera,
I find that I am often deforming the shape of my bead when I apply frit. I might be psuhing too hard, getting the bead too hot or both. But if I don't I don't seem to pick up much frit. IS this common? Am I doing something wrong or should I just be applying the frit multiple times?

Sincerely,
Confused in California
Old 2011-04-20, 3:31pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post

At first I thought that nothing had really changed... but after a while, it dawned on me that one of the things that's happening right now in my life is that I am looking at going back to school, and going back to making beads part-time. I think that in a way, this thread, and spilling my techniques/secrets, is helping me let go of this phase of my life. I will always be a beadmaker... who knows, I may even do it full-time again someday... but for right now, it's helping me to un-attach from feelings of owning these techniques and styles, and easing the separation. I have a sense of there having been purpose in the years I spent developing them, and hope that many people find them useful in developing and defining their own aesthetic.

The funny thing is, I had no idea when I started this thread that I was going to go back to school!
She's got everything she needs , she's an artist, she don't look back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJhiP44s60
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-04-20, 3:32pm
Biscuit Lover

Quote:

I wonder if you may feel more drawn to teach beadmaking now?
Old 2011-04-20, 4:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Dear Kalera,
I find that I am often deforming the shape of my bead when I apply frit. I might be psuhing too hard, getting the bead too hot or both. But if I don't I don't seem to pick up much frit. IS this common? Am I doing something wrong or should I just be applying the frit multiple times?

Sincerely,
Confused in California
Try letting your bead cool down and firm up; then, fairly quickly, roll it in the hottest part of the flame until the outer layer is glowing and sticky. Then it's perfect for a quick roll in frit; outside hot and sticky, inside still firm!

Old 2011-04-20, 4:55pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
She's got everything she needs , she's an artist, she don't look back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJhiP44s60
I love you!

Old 2011-04-20, 4:55pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen milligan View Post
I wonder if you may feel more drawn to teach beadmaking now?
I have actually thought about it a bit more lately... I love teaching, it's just always seemed so hard to work into my schedule!

Old 2011-04-20, 8:01pm
Triumphantly Knit!

What are you going to school for? That's so empowering.
Interesting that the thread propelled you forward in such a way, that's so cool. That's why I asked, 'cause when you give you get x 3. Catherine Ponder's work on abundance is what comes to mind.
If bead making is what you're meant to do full time, you'll be doing it with even greater satisfaction.
I'm starting to think I dreamt those pink beads of yours, I can't find them again! Oh well.
I'll keep looking, though.
angel blessings

Old 2011-04-20, 9:27pm
I'm a lilac!

I am not certain, but I'm thinking about engineering... I'm going to start with a bunch of math classes and see how it goes from there!

They weren't these, were they? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

I moved a bunch to eBay today.

Old 2011-04-20, 10:00pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

When you tumble etch beads do you need a dedicated tumbler just for that? and how long do you tumble for? thanks!

Old 2011-04-20, 10:23pm
I'm a lilac!

I only use my tumbler for etching... I would think that if you also tumble to polish jewelry, you would use a separate tumbler barrel (way cheaper than a whole tumbler unit) to avoid the risk of one little grain of abrasive scratching all your silver up. I usually tumble overnight, so about 8-9 hours.

Old 2011-04-20, 11:22pm
><>

Quote:
I love you!
When I read your post that song
popped into my head, and seemed like you, so I posted it.
I love that you are embarking on this journey and including us in your transition,
by sharing your thoughts about it.
I love your willingness to just put one foot in front of the other without having it all figured out.
For the newbie, or those of us 'beginning again' after a long hiatus it is
inspirational and encouraging.
I love LE for just this kind of thing.
You really have no idea how many lives have been positively effected by your generosity and sharing.
You already are a teacher, giving so much, right here on LE.
Thank you.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-04-21, 7:23am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

Old 2011-04-21, 9:16am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
When I read your post that song
popped into my head, and seemed like you, so I posted it.
I love that you are embarking on this journey and including us in your transition,
by sharing your thoughts about it.
I love your willingness to just put one foot in front of the other without having it all figured out.
For the newbie, or those of us 'beginning again' after a long hiatus it is
inspirational and encouraging.
I love LE for just this kind of thing.
You really have no idea how many lives have been positively effected by your generosity and sharing.
You already are a teacher, giving so much, right here on LE.
Thank you.
ditto,

no those aren't the ones, but they are pretty. I am starting to think I dreamt them up. they are like the green ones on the second page of this thread but a gorgeous pink/fuscia, matte finish. It's ok, I appreciate your trying to find them.
I feel excitement for you. Forward....
namaste

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-04-21 at 9:35am. Reason: second page not first
Old 2011-04-21, 9:22pm
pammigwynn

Default Bead Co-op, anyone interested?

I would like to start a bead Co-Op, and was wondering if anyone would be interested. I would like to sell our beads together. My idea is to have various artist's submit their beads to show at a bead fair.
We could all share in the cost, and share in the profits of the show.

Is anyone interested?

Old 2011-04-21, 9:26pm
pammigwynn

Default Bead Co-op, anyone interested?

I would like to start a bead Co-Op, and was wondering if anyone would be interested. I would like to sell our beads together. My idea is to have various artist's submit their beads to show at a bead fair.
We could all share in the cost, and share in the profits of the show.

Is anyone interested?

I am sorry, I posted in the wrong catagory.

Can't seem to figure out how to get to the right section.