Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-09-08, 2:11pm

Default Live/work studio

Howdy Folks....

Is anybody working out of a live/work studio? If so, I've got a couple of questions.

I've had commercial studios before but never a live/work studio. I’m really thinking about renting a floor of a warehouse in central Austin. There’s a couple for me to pick from, the issue is the one that I like is on the second floor and I’m not sure what to do with the 40lb propane tank or the 30lb MAPP tank. Any suggestions?

The other one is two story, the bottom isn’t finished out and the 2nd floor is living space.

Both are concrete…both have unrestricted zoning.

There’s a couple more that I have appointments next week to view. Any suggestions regarding live/work studios that are loft style, would be very appreciated.

~Moon
Old 2005-09-08, 2:43pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Well if its "commercial" space the regulations for propane tank storage may be different than for "residential". NFPA regulations for residences states no tanks over 1 pound allowed inside and no more than 2 tanks at any time....

Regardless of what the zoning is, the absolute safest situation is for the tank to be OUTSIDE. Keeping tank outside eliminates many possible violations of rules/codes. It's very simple to have tank outside (in secure enclosure if necessary), and run steel or other acceptable metallic piping into studio area. NFPA provides that you can have propane piped in at pressures up to 20psi. By having fixed, medium pressure regulator at tank (outside) this allows you to have additional adjustable regulator at location where torch is setup in studio.

You state there is no restrictions on site you are considering. Is this the landlords statement or is it city fire inspectors statement?... I am willing to bet fire officials and city building code people will have definite ideas on having a tank indoors. Especially if it is a "living" area on second floor.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-09-08 at 3:45pm.
Old 2005-09-08, 3:20pm

I have an appointment with one of the fire marshalls next week to go though the codes. I understand that having a tank inside is an issue....I'm trying to figure out if it's worth even the trouble to pipe it up to the second story or not. There's several sites for me to choose from.

To answer your question regarding "nonrestricted", that's a zoning issue...but it does have to do with building code only within confines regard the activities that can take place in the building. The landload of one of the buildings is also an artist. He's in the process of working with the city to create a hub of live/work studios for the artist community.

What else am I missing....I'm trying to cover as many different bases before I start this process.

Thanks Dale...this helps.

~Moon