Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-26, 2:35pm

Default stickers on glass rods?

I know this is a dumb question, but what is the easiest way to get rid of the sticker on the end of every glass rod? My local craft store puts a big 2 inch gooey sticker on them with scotch tape on top to be sure it never comes off.
Soaking has been my method but its so time consuming.

thanks
Old 2014-02-26, 2:51pm

A product call "goo-gone" works wonders. I think it is citrus oil based.
Old 2014-02-26, 4:20pm
Loving learning

Sometimes I scrape unwanted stickers off with a paring knife. Just remember they are sharp & don't get your skin.
Old 2014-02-26, 4:32pm

Goo gone is wonderful stuff, my local dollar tree stocksthe small bottles.
I use it a lot to remove stickers on books and items I resell or use for display.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-26, 4:39pm

thank you, it's now on my shopping list ... I was concerned about putting an oil based product on the glass, even if it is washed afterwards.
Old 2014-02-26, 4:44pm
Lampworkaholic!

WD 40. Or, burn them off.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-02-26, 10:58pm

Best thing. Can of Ronson lighter fluid!! Trust me been using it for years. Cuts the sticky off great. And I always clean my rods with alcohol prior to use
Old 2014-02-27, 5:56am

peel as much of the sticker as you can, put the end of the rod and the remaining sticky stuff in the flame for a few seconds. bam- gone!
Old 2014-02-27, 11:06am

ok I am laughing now, burn it off and lighter fluid, you are all having too much fun
Old 2014-02-27, 5:41pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

If some portion of the sticker is showing then they can just be soaked in water. Vinegar will burn off cleanly as well. The smell of goo-gone gives me a headache.
Old 2014-02-27, 10:52pm

You may think it odd. The lighter fluid. But it works great. I learned it from the owner of a used book store who uses it to remove the sticky when removing price stickers from paperbacks. TRUST ME IT WORKS!!!
Old 2014-02-28, 1:35am
one day at a time

Nail polish remover. Works like a charm, but make sure you get the plain acetone based. Not the one with the oily moisturizers in it! Just an oily mess you will have to wash off later. Plus you don't want oily anything near your oxygen source.
Old 2014-02-28, 4:01am

i don't mean to light the lighter fluid.....just wave the end of the rod that has the sticky mess on it in the flame (peel sticker first, if any sticky left, wave it in flame) and it pretty much vaporizes....i can see this trick being better for boro then soft glass, what with thermal shock...
Old 2014-02-28, 4:12am
one day at a time

Oh, I don't know why I forgot to mention this!

If you are in no rush to use the glass, you can do this: soak the rods for a few hours or overnight in warm soapy water. I use Dawn. You can do this in the kitchen sink, and for the long 20" rods, a plastic rectangular container they will fit in or the bathtub. This will completely remove all traces of dirt, oily residue, old stuck on gooey rubber bands, and the goo from the labels. You don't even have to remove the labels before soaking. They will slip right off.
Old 2014-02-28, 8:03am

I used a rod the other day that has sat in the studio for a cpl years and the sticker wouldn't come off so I just stuck the rod in the flame and burned it off - It left no residue or charcoal.
Old 2014-02-28, 10:21am

I remember I used to peel them off.... then I took a class and the instructor just burned it right off in the flame!! And I thought......

and also ......
Old 2014-02-28, 12:24pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Goo Gone works on pretty much everything. Love the stuff!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2014-02-28, 12:43pm

thanks everyone, I will have to test these ideas out and find my favorite
I'm still laughing at the idea of cleaning a rod very carefully for dust and crud so we get no scum, but bring on a sticker, and just burn it off in the flame.
Old 2014-03-01, 9:23am
addicted to dichro

I just use those ends as the shorts, or if it's something really rare that I don't want to waste I just peel them off. When I try to burn them off they soot the glass sometimes. Plus you probably don't want to burn adhesive.

Old 2014-03-04, 1:26pm
one day at a time

Burning the labels and goo off does not get rid of all of the impurities, trust me on that. You can see it pretty well with the transparents. Look closely and you will see tiny tiny microbubbles (scum) where the ashes from the burned stuff used to be.
Old 2014-03-09, 6:43am
JulieV

I too am a fan of burning them off. Then just pull off the glass at the end if it's scummy...

Old 2014-03-10, 2:00pm
state-eternal change

I put my sticker-laden ends of rods on top of my kiln for a couple minutes, usually softens the glue and I can get them off pretty easy. Otherwise, it's like a tiny amount of glass... get a rod nipper and nip it off. Hey, it's glass, you can throw it in the recycling.

Old 2014-03-10, 7:41pm
I like to melt things

I soak them in water to soften the label and the glue and then peel them off, if I have to. However, I make this a less-frequent task by making a point of not shopping with vendors who insist on making my playtime so annoying.

-
-
Old 2014-03-10, 11:37pm

I just use rubbing alcohol after peeling as much as I can with my fingers. Works well and doesn't give me a headache like most chemicals.

Old 2014-03-11, 7:02am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I just use rubbing alcohol after peeling as much as I can with my fingers. Works well and doesn't give me a headache like most chemicals.
Yep, this is what I do too.

Old 2014-03-11, 11:45pm

On a related subject, before you burn or soak them off, what brand of labels do you use that actually stay on? I have some colors that need each rod labeled. So far, Avery labels and copycat generic labels stay on for a month or so, then just let go, which becomes frustrating -- woodie, dark walnut, chocolatta -- all very similar when piled up next to the torch. All those similar oranges --those confuse me too. My saddest mix-up was using a stick of river rock instead of translucent dark ivory as a base for some boring beads. Then of couse there are the silver glasses that I positively will remember. Uh huh. Recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 2014-03-12, 1:49am
Feminist Killjoy

A soak in very hot, soapy water until the water is cooled usually does the trick for me. A taller drinking glass is good for this, so the rods just stand up in the cup.

I'm pretty sure Goo Gone actually contains the same ingredient as lighter fluid (Naptha). They smell exactly the same. Naptha is nasty, and I avoid it unless there's no other option.
Old 2014-03-12, 5:27am
one day at a time

Just cleaned a whole bunch after an overnight soak in the sink the other night. Got every bit of it off with very little scrubbing with a scrubbie. Some of that crap, I don't know what it was! This was the glass I had in my studio that was spared from fire. I think it was a combo of paint and melted insulation.
Old 2014-03-12, 5:49am
Feminist Killjoy

Eesh!