Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-15, 7:18am
Keep on keepin' on...

Default CiM Ghee - What am I doing wrong...

I hate this color. It's the ugliest color I have ever bought. I bought this color because I am out of opal yellow and Frantz does not have any. So last time I was at Frantz I bought Ghee after reading that you could get a nice color similar to Opal Yellow. The pictures I saw of it were nice. Mine are more like burnt out yellow opalino. It really doesn't have much color to it. Reminds me of homeade lemonade really faint yellow, almost not yellow.... But at times I'll have spots of that dark carmely color but not through and through. Like brown spots on a banana. Bad description I know. Its ugly.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work this color to get the caramel colors to come out?

Thanks for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-15, 7:34am
Tweedle Dumb

I made the same mistake. EXACTLY the same. I was told Stone Ground is closer to Opal Yellow, and I agree. It's not opal yellow, but it is a helluva lot closer than Ghee.

Ghee sits on my shelf. It's ugly and I have no love for it.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-01-15, 8:04am
Jacqueline Parkes

I found you have to work it hot and long.

Old 2013-01-15, 8:07am
Lampworkaholic!

I love Ghee, especially for the gorgeous caramels you get. It's not Opal Yellow, but you can embrace it for what it is, not what it isn't. Or send it to me. I'm up for trades while my glass budget is zero.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-15, 8:16am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I found you have to work it hot and long.
"That's what she said".....

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Old 2013-01-16, 2:38am
Naysayer

^ lol

Yeah Ghee is nothing like opal yellow, it is an 'opal' glass, as in translucent
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=31

Stone Ground is close but more yellow imo..it's a 'silver' yellow so it does cool reactions
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=38
Old 2013-01-23, 4:54pm

I know a gal who has about a # of opal yellow (Vetro) leftover. Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you her info. I found her on artfire, she is a really good seller, helpful and wraps glass better than any I've ever received.

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2013-01-23, 5:16pm
Glass Addict

Yep, just what Gems In Bloom wrote... work it long and hot to get the caramel and burgundy/purple colors to bloom.

I love it for sculpture pieces but dislike it for small quickie beads...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1120093...lampwork-glass

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1181627...lampwork-glass

Old 2013-01-23, 5:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
"That's what she said".....

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Hahaha!

Old 2013-01-23, 5:19pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I figured out the true beauty of Ghee when I was making some leaves as I get the glass super hot for those.

Old 2013-01-23, 6:58pm
Senior Moment

I picked up some Honeycomb, which is a darker version of Ghee and I love how many different colors it can be, depending on amount of heat and type of glass. I'm actually going to pick up some regular Ghee to see if I like it as much.

But yeah. Definitely NOT a similar color to Yellow Opal IMHO.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-01-24, 8:51am
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks for the responses guys! I forgot about this thread! I put the Ghee up and may revisit it again. I've worked it long and hot, short and cold. All I get is a faint opalino color. Fortunately for me I only bought a quarter pound so I don't have a ton of it. I may play with it this weekend and see what it does if I work it sculpturally. I was hoping to use it for small beads I am working on. I found a few long shorts of OY until I decide to buy more.....

Old 2013-01-24, 9:44pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I love Ghee, especially when it comes out like this ...

Old 2013-01-24, 10:00pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post

Holy mackerel, those are gorgeous!

Now I want caramel candy, is that wrong?

Old 2013-01-24, 10:02pm
Slogan Challenged...

[QUOTE

Now I want caramel candy, is that wrong?[/quote]

Never.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-01-25, 3:00am
offically down under

Quote:

Lovely beads for sure. But, if you had told me that you used carnelian, I would have believed you.

Old 2013-01-25, 6:20am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanks Astrid & Tammy.

Tammy, I thought carnelian was a pink colour? (or is that the point? )

Old 2013-01-25, 6:44am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:

Those are very pretty. It looks like it reacted to the silver.

Old 2013-01-25, 6:48am
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:

THIS^^^^^ is the reason I bought Ghee. To acheive a color siimiliar to this. I love this color and although it isn't OY, this color is a great substitue for what I am doing. I saw some pics of someone's chocolates made with Ghee and the color was also similiar and a color I would love to get out of this glass. Any advice on achieving this color MrsD?

Old 2013-01-25, 6:41pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanks Jac, I might try it with just the frit & no silver next time & see if there's much difference.

Brandy, the only thing I can suggest is what the others have already suggested, work it hot & long. I know I fiddled around quite a bit with those beads to get that caramel colour, strike it like you would a silver glass & see if that works any magic on it?

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Old 2013-01-27, 6:13am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I was just looking for a picture for someone & I saw this one & thought of this thread ...