No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-02-07, 6:51am
Keep on keepin' on...

Default Gurgling torch/Bouncing Flame

I am concerned about gurgling coming from my torch and I can't figure out what is causing it.

About a week ago I ran low on propane. Okay I ran the tank dry almost. Got more propane, hooked up and now I have a gurgling sound. This gurgling effects my propane and my flame bounces. Sometimes its more gurgly than other times. I have changed out my propane tank thinking it was something with the tank itself. Put a fresh full tank on, still a gurgle.

My hoses are less than 3 months old. Everything is connected correctly, no leaks found. I have cleaned my torch tip of carbon, blown it out and it sure did need it. Gurgling still there. Tempted to disconnect the hoses but not sure if I can even clean it. I can't imagine water somehow getting into my hoses.

I have a minor. I use tanked oxy and the propane tanks that are bigger than bbq size. Large like what sits on a motor home. Which is where mine came from. The oxy is also a new tank. I got that the day after I got the propane.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. The gurgling drives me nuts, and causes my flame to bounce which is effecting any work I do with glass that reduces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-07, 5:05pm
Senior Moment

I want be clear I dont use a dual torch, but I'm wondering if your hoses need to be drained?

Just a thought,
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-02-07, 6:34pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
I want be clear I dont use a dual torch, but I'm wondering if your hoses need to be drained?

Just a thought,
Alli
Thanks for the response Alli! I've been googling off and on all day trying to figure out the gurgle. I will google about draining hoses and see if I can find anything that way.

Old 2013-02-07, 6:50pm

Turn on one line at a time and listen for the noise. Make sure your exhaust fan is on...

Old 2013-02-07, 8:04pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
Turn on one line at a time and listen for the noise. Make sure your exhaust fan is on...

Thanks! I did that. Its coming from the propane line. When I turned on the propane, alot of tan colored gunk came out of it. Powdery type stuff, it hit the shelf above my torch, covered my workbench. It obviously smelled like propane and I thought it would dissapate. The smell left, but the powdery stuff did not. I had a huge mess to clean up, I'm still cleaning....

I'm just baffled. In 7 years I've never had something like this occur. I'm not sure what to do, but I don't feel real safe running my torch because this is not normal.

Old 2013-02-07, 10:52pm

Could be the hose is breaking down. There are two grades of hose, R and T. One is for acetylene and one is for propane. Propane will break down the acetylene hose.

Old 2013-02-08, 7:29am
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
Could be the hose is breaking down. There are two grades of hose, R and T. One is for acetylene and one is for propane. Propane will break down the acetylene hose.

I'm glad you put this here so others know this if they don't. I do have the correct hoses for propane. I made that mistake once when I first started lampworking. I don't think my hoses lasted 3 months before they were cracked and broken up. A hazard for sure.

Today I am going to take my hoses off and thoroughly check them out. I have a small compressor and I thought about blowing it out incase there is water in there somehow. If that doesn't fix the issue, I think I'm just going to go get new hoses. I hate to do that since they are around $60.00. I am concerned this gurgling and my flame bouncing higher and lower isn't safe.

Old 2013-02-09, 11:45pm
Senior Moment

Again, just a thought, because this is NOT my area of expertise! I wonder if the powder is the chemical (mercaptan I think) they put in so we can smell if there is a leak? Now why it would dry out and leave such an amount in your hoses I haven't a clue, but might be something to question your supplier about.

Be safe!
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-02-09, 11:50pm
Queen of the milo field

I made the mistake of trusting someone I thought should know what they were doing when I first started. They own/run/a hot glass shop & are pro glass blowers. And told me to just get a welding torch hose set/regulators. Yup. Torched for way too long using hose for acetylene. And didn't know I shouldn't until I started hanging out here. Changed out that sucker fast after that.

dj
Old 2013-03-11, 11:00pm
I like fire....

I have found a place - I think Cyberweld - has good prices for welding supplies.
you might try looking them up.
much better than $60 for hose.

http://store.cyberweld.com/