Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-11-15, 8:33pm

Default Sharpening Photo Image Help..Please?

Oh dear, I'm sorry to show my ignorance here, but I have been searching around trying to figure out how to "sharpen" my image after I have taken it. I have figured out how to resize it, I have found the contrast, brightness stuff, but no sharpen image. If the picture is taken "raw" I see how to sharpen it with my Canon software, but that leads to more problems than I know how to deal with. Is there some special place I am just not looking? I would really appreciate any help. Thank You.

Jeannie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-11-15, 8:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Gimp (an awesome free photo editing software) has a filter called "unsharp mask" that sharpens beautifully.
Oh and your Canon software should edit it in jpg mode too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-15, 8:43pm

Thank you for coming to my rescue! I have looked all over in this crazy canon software and can't find it. It would be easier if I could find it in there to sharpen the photos. Do you have any idea where it might be located?

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-11-15, 8:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What's the specific name of the software you're using?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-15, 8:46pm

It is called the Zoombrowser EX. Is that the name that you are looking for?

Thanks,
Jeannie

Old 2010-11-15, 8:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I found the user manual - it says you can convert from RAW to jpg with the software, so I would think you could resize, sharpen and save as and pick jpg as the file extension or type.

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/dcsd/...6_144dpi-e.pdf

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-15, 8:57pm

uh oh.... You did a fly by on me there. My picture was not taken raw is that ok? I tried to take my image, put it in the RAW thing, and it sharpened it, but I could not transport it or drag it out of there as the sharpened image. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for all of your help Squid!

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-15, 9:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Look at page 42 of the pdf in that link - it shows how to do a save as after editing. Will it let you do that?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-15, 9:19pm

I tried to do a "save as", renamed the file and put it on my desktop, but when I opened it up, it was back to the original unsharpened picture. It just won't let me transport it out of that RAW picture thing. Seems like they would have a way to sharpen a regular jpeg image. Or do you have to take a picture in "RAW" to sharpen it?

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-15, 9:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

On page 105, it shows adjusting sharpness of RAW files and does not show it for any other file type, so it looks like it has to be raw to sharpen. .

Honestly, I would download GIMP 2 and use that - it is SO easy to use. If you decide to get it, I can walk you through exactly how to do what you need.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-15, 9:27pm

OK, I'm gonna follow your link and go do the download "GIMP". Thank you for all of your help!

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-15, 9:35pm

Hey Squid,

Are you still there? I went to download Gimp, and it was talking about changing my home page, switching everything to Yahoo and all kinds of things....Is there any way around all of that?

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-15, 9:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Are you downloading from here?

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

and no, you don't have to do all that.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-15, 9:39pm

That looks like it might be a different place than what I was at. I will go try that. Thanks.

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-15, 9:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am going to bed now, but will check back tomorrow.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-15, 11:54pm

I'm finally going to bed now too. I did get GIMP downloaded from the site you gave me. I figured out how to sharpen the image. And I also managed to get the pixel size below 640x640, but the KB is still above 90. If I keep reducing the pixels until the KB is 80, the picture looks terrible. Is there a different way to get the KB smaller, other than to keep going down on the pixels? OK, I just felt my brain seize up.

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 2:43am
Entropy increasing....

Can you save it for the web? Is there a Save for Web under File?
Old 2010-11-16, 5:58am

Man, here I am up early trying to do this again.

Hi Kevan- Thank you for trying to help. I don't see a Save for Web under File on Gimp or my Canon software.

So, is just reducing pixels the only way to resize the photo to post? I have seen other people post such beautiful sharp pictures.

The most frustrating thing is I bought a light tent with lights, the whole shebang. My husband just purchased for his work,which I am conveniently using, a Canon Rebel and an EF100 Macro lens. I am using a tripod and a shutter release. I know about setting apperatures(don't know how to spell it) and shutter speeds. Great set up right? The original picture looks nice but by the time I get to 80KB by reducing pixels...YUK!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH, I think I am going crazy!

Good Grief, bit of a rant there. Inner peace, Inner peace, Inner peace.......

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 6:44am

All right, I am going to post a picture to show you what I was able to get to work.

To me, it really does not look that good at all. Any suggestions? If you are still reading this post... Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 7:10am
Happiness is....

Jeannie,
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55371848...raphy-tutorial
Kevan has her photo tute on sale until ???, I've been eyeing it but I don't even have beads to photo, lol!
I'm not sure if it would work for gimp, but maybe she will pop back in and tell you.

I really like your the colors you used in your beads, and the middle one is a unusual shape. Very pretty!

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2010-11-16, 7:39am

Hi krisdaka,

Bless your soul, you made it to the end of that post!

Thank you for the compliments on the beads.

I have seen Kevan's tut, but I thought that it might have more to do with the camera, lighting and taking of the picture. I think I pretty much have a handle on that, it is the taking that nice image and making it still look sharp and nice by the time it is reduced and ready for posting. But maybe I am wrong about that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 8:42am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Why are you trying to get it below 80kb? If it's for the image uploader here, I highly recommend not using that and getting a photobucket account instead. You load the pic to photobucket (and 640 x whatever is a good web size) and then link to the pick with [img][/img] tags around it and voila, it shows up.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-16, 12:20pm

Hi Squid,

Welllllll, I guess I was trying to get an 80 kb picture because it says to have it that in the LE image uploader. I didn't realize there was any other way to do it than that. So that is just a limitation put on our pictures by LE? Good grief, I feel like a big ol' ding dong! Ok, now I just need to go and figure out photobucket.

Thank you so much Squid and any one else who chimed in! It is so nice of everyone to take the time to help someone out. I truly appreciate it!

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 3:19pm

I hate to ask more questions....... but here I go...

OK, I've got a photobucket account now. So what kind of things matter when I get ready to post a photo from photobucket? Are there any type of rules I need to follow? Squid mentioned a 640x whatever pixel size. Does a KB size matter at all? I'm not even really sure what the kilobyte number means in a photo. I just have fears of posting, and an itsy bitsy pea size photo shows up, or godzilla bead wrecking havoc on everything! And what is this "Tag" thing that Squid speaks of? Will Photobucket just walk me through the process of doing that when I get ready? Yeah, I'm pretty much just sittin here with a big clueless look on my face. Thanks in advance if anybody can send some enlightenment in my direction.

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 3:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsky View Post
I hate to ask more questions....... but here I go...

OK, I've got a photobucket account now. So what kind of things matter when I get ready to post a photo from photobucket? Are there any type of rules I need to follow? Squid mentioned a 640x whatever pixel size. Does a KB size matter at all? I'm not even really sure what the kilobyte number means in a photo. I just have fears of posting, and an itsy bitsy pea size photo shows up, or godzilla bead wrecking havoc on everything! And what is this "Tag" thing that Squid speaks of? Will Photobucket just walk me through the process of doing that when I get ready? Yeah, I'm pretty much just sittin here with a big clueless look on my face. Thanks in advance if anybody can send some enlightenment in my direction.

Jeannie
Size your pics to 640 by whatever it defaults to in GIMP, then upload to photobucket. When you go to your album, you will see the pic with 4 different links underneath. Use the bottom one that says "IMG code" - it includes the [img][/img] tags needed to post in a forum. Just paste it to your post - and if you are worried about the size, preview your post before posting.

This is a 640 x 500 pixel pic:

I find it to be about the right size.

It does not matter about file size in photobucket .

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-11-16, 4:39pm

Squid to the rescue again! I'm hoping to let go of your hand and be a big girl now and get this figured out. Thanks so much again.

By the way, I love the picture that you posted!

Jeannie

Old 2010-11-16, 5:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Good luck - and thank you. I just happened to have posted that pic earlier in a thread here so I used it again. That is a backyard visitor at my house that I was lucky enough to see again today

DOG is my co-pilot