Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-21, 12:31pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Arrow Need more tumbler barrels? Here's what I did!

I found after I got my tumbler that I needed more barrels! I hated having to dump the contents of a barrel out if I needed it for something else. I use the tumbler from Harbor Freight that has two small barrels on it.

Anyway, I got tired of dumping contents, washing the barrels over and over. So here's my tip of what I did to solve that problem.

I went to the thrift store and found these thermos for $1.50 each. They are very common at every thrift store I go to. Especially in the spring and summer.

These measure approx. 9" in length and 15" in diameter. I didn't measure the height of the handle.

1. Wash the thermos.
2. Cut the handle off at the swivel with wire cutters. This takes some time. The collar around the thermos will also come off after you break the handle off.
3. Duct tape the top of the tumbler on top at the spout so the spout doesn't come open. I have never had any leaks ever, just duct taping the lid. I'm sure you could glue it closed if you wanted.
4. Wrap duct tape around the thermos.
5. Roughen up the duct tape. I use a pair of scissors and drag them across the duct tape in all different directions to rough up the tape. If you don't roughen it up, it won't spin in the tumber.
6. Write the contents of the container on the cap or barrel itself.
7. You now have a dedicated barrel that fits perfectly on a two barrel tumbler!!!!!

I just store mine in the cabinet below my tumbler and never have to dump contents for another type.

This is all I use now, and rarely use the barrels that came with my tumbler. This replaces both tumbler barrels and just uses one thermos at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-11-21, 1:14pm
Wonder-wench

Great idea! This may solve the "black residue" problem I get sometimes too.

Old 2012-11-21, 1:16pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
Great idea! This may solve the "black residue" problem I get sometimes too.
It absolutley solves that problem as well. I never have any issues with ugly gross black film/powder from these. These things take a beating!

Old 2012-11-21, 7:03pm
honorary bead lady

Brandy that is a pretty good hack
Old 2012-11-21, 7:38pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Brandy, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing!!!

Old 2012-11-22, 8:55am
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Brandy that is a pretty good hack

Thanks David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Brandy, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing!!!
Thanks! I hope it helps somebody out there with some of their barrel needs!

Old 2012-11-22, 11:09am

Question: do you ever tumble with silicone carbide to etch. If so do you mix with water or use it dry?
Old 2012-11-22, 12:06pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I use the silicone carbide and its with water and some pony beads.

I have the single tumbler and I found in my cabinet and old soup thermos, the single serve.....it works!! I was SO excited now I just need to find someone to sell me 1/2 cup of stainless shot......LOL

Old 2012-11-22, 5:17pm
Keep on keepin' on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
I use the silicone carbide and its with water and some pony beads.

I have the single tumbler and I found in my cabinet and old soup thermos, the single serve.....it works!! I was SO excited now I just need to find someone to sell me 1/2 cup of stainless shot......LOL
I'm so glad it worked for you! I wondered about those smaller tumblers myself, so good idea! I hope you find it just as nice as I do not having to change out the material in the tumbler for something else needed.

Old 2012-11-22, 7:47pm

I've had a tumbler for 3 years or more, but haven't used it once. Dumb, I know. But when researching which one to get, I found some people recommended using a larger glass jar, such as for mayonnaise or pickles. Hey, it's "free" after you eat the contents.