Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-31, 8:08am

Default my bead release sucks!

I'm in search of a new bead release. I make a lot of large focals and pressed beads. I've used Foster Fire and Smooth and Tuff and am not happy with either. Any suggestions? I used Sludge plus years ago.

I know there's posts out there about this but I'm search engine challenged so thanks for any answers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-31, 9:05am
one day at a time

I used to use this one, and I know Karen makes huge beads on a HH, and does a lot of heavy marvering. It's Purple Piffle, and I recently found a jar of it so I will be playing with it again soon.

www.hotglassbeads.com
Old 2007-12-31, 9:10am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

A few weeks ago I took a couple of bead classes where Frantz Art Glass Bead Separator was used on our mandrels. The teacher was a big fan. Our beads did come off nicely after soaking in water for a bit.

I bought a 32-ounce bottle on sale since I was running out of Bucket of Mud. I poured some of the Frantz stuff into my old BOM bottle and thinned with a bit of water (it was rather thick) and would recommend this stuff highly. I do lots of 2-inch tube beads and find that they release much more easily from the mandrel after a short water soak compared to when I was using BOM.
Old 2007-12-31, 9:23am

I have been using Dip n Go Sludge from Arrow Springs. I have been making a lot of boro lately which takes a lot of heat. I LOVE this stuff. In fact, I just ordered a large bottle. You can literally dip and heat and you are ready to wrap glass. Beads come off rather easy and it comes out of the holes easier than BOM.

Old 2007-12-31, 9:57am
Sparkle Strumpet

I'm a Sludge Plus advocate....never given me any trouble that I didn't cause myself!

I've had a sample of foster fire....thought it was too thick for me. tried to thin it and could never get happy with it. Tossed it.

BUT...I've begun to think that bead release is a personal preference and what's right fpr one of us isn't necessarily right for us all.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2007-12-31, 10:01am
ManBearPig

Sludge Plus works great for me.

Old 2007-12-31, 10:03am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

When did Frantz start making a bead release?
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-12-31, 10:11am
I'm meeeeelting

I started with the Frantz Bead Separator and hated it. I found it very hard to get beads of the mandrels. Just goes to show that there isn't a one size fits all to bead releases, I guess. Gwacie, I don't know if they make their own or put their own label on one purchased from another company. I've had better luck with Foster Fire.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2007-12-31, 11:26am
Storm Queen

Sludge Plus or Dip & Go.

Old 2007-12-31, 2:09pm
Dichro Addict

I mix Smooth and Tuff with some Sludge Plus. It's the perfect bead release, in my opinion.

Old 2007-12-31, 2:23pm

Kragg Mud is AWESOME!!

Old 2007-12-31, 2:32pm

I love Dip N Go Sludge. Used Bucket O Mud but beads stuck with that. I don't have to soak them at all. Just a twist and they're free. Don't know how it will work w/very large beads, though.

Old 2007-12-31, 2:36pm
Ex-lurker

I love Alice's Bead Release that comes in powder form and you mix it to your consistency. Never have had a problem with it.

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2007-12-31, 3:18pm
Just me

My bead release of choice is Fusion Bead Separator from Frantz.
I tried BOM and had tons of problems with it breaking just heating the mandrel. I mixed it with the last of my jar of Fusion and made it useable but cleaning the beads has become a real chore. The release dries really dense and requires scrubbing to get it off the bead holes.

I griped and griped about it and oddly enough santa brought me some Fusion Bead Separator this Christmas! Imagine that! I'm a happy camper again.

Old 2007-12-31, 3:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
I mix Smooth and Tuff with some Sludge Plus. It's the perfect bead release, in my opinion.
I was gonna try this but then gave my Sludge plus away.
Guess I'll try the Dip and Go since I'm going to have to order some glass from Arrow Springs anyway.
Thanks alot!

Old 2007-12-31, 3:33pm

I love sludge plus and dip and go sludge from Arrow Springs. Beads come of easily, and it cleans out of the hole easier than bucket o' mud. In my opinion, anyway.
Old 2007-12-31, 3:51pm
Anna Duhame

I've had the most success with Bucket o' Mudd. I just tried the smooth and tough too and have had a problem with the beads breaking loose. I am just too rough. I might have to try that Dip and Go...it sounds really popular!

Old 2007-12-31, 8:09pm
I practice alchemy!

Dip and Go came with my starter kit. I haven't had much trouble with it. The beads come off fairly easily, clean not too badly, and I've never had any of it break off when it's in the torch. I'm a little nervous about the thought of maybe trying another bead release.

Celeste
Old 2007-12-31, 8:13pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

I love Alice's too. Never had a bead stick!
Old 2007-12-31, 8:46pm
Glass Addict

Another Fusion fan here - rarely have to soak and I have never had the release break on me during a session...

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2008-01-02, 1:21pm

I've been making my own since 1991 (before most of these brands were on the market.) Still like my pink mud the best.
Old 2008-01-02, 5:07pm

Default sludge is giving me grief

I'm relatively new at this (took some lessons a year ago, finally got my torch (Nortel Minor) set up, and have been working for about a month.

Sludge is just dandy for many of the beads I'm working on. I don't seem to have any problems getting my beads off the mandrels (I put them in a bench vise and pull them straight off) or cleaning the bead release from the holes (I am using a welder's "tip cleaner" tool that is working nicely). Even long-ish tube focals (like 1.5 - 2") come off fine.

The problem I'm having is when I'm working heavier beads, like larger encased florals. I get a tiny base bead, thinly encased, add some vine cane, thinly encase again, add flowers and some leaves, and then encase with a pretty thick layer - leaving a pretty big heavy bead, thinking, "yeah, this is gonna be fiiiine, nicest flowers I ever made..." and as I'm heating and melting the final encasing layer, the bead release breaks at both ends and leaves me with a spinner and a nasty glob of drippy hot molten mess that USED to be the best flowers I ever made. Pfeh.

Is it my bead release? Sludge has done this to me before, but my most recent session was the worst ever - every big bead I made seemed to turn to globby spinning messes. My Sludge dried out while I was away over Christmas, and I used a bit of distilled water to thin it fown. Did I thin it too much? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong to crack my bead release?

Anyone else had a spinner crisis? How did you resolve it?
Old 2008-01-02, 6:41pm
just plain silly

Fusion is perfect for me. Tried Smooth and Tuff and had a problem with release breaking big-time.

Suzanne
Old 2008-01-02, 6:44pm

Fusion is also my brand of choice.

Old 2008-01-02, 6:51pm
state-eternal change

I use Fusion. I tried Smooth and Tuff and it wouldn't even stay on the mandrel! The store where I got it had to throw out the whole case, as it was all bad. I'm trying Mandrel Magic - apparently it's been tested ok, so I'll give it a go.

Old 2008-01-02, 8:33pm

Default I may try fusion next...

I think I just answered my sludge question here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632
Old 2008-01-03, 11:54pm
Where the Wild Wares are!

I'm an Alice's fan as well...

Someone told me about a prominent bead artist who mixes their own release, I believe it was 50% kaolin clay and 50% diatomaceous earth. Have never tried that -- wasn't sure if anyone else had...

Jim
Old 2008-01-06, 6:44am

I mix Foster Fire Heavy Duty and Fusion (1/2 & 1/2). It's worked the best for me so far.

Forgive everyone of everything, instantly
Old 2008-01-06, 6:59am
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
Did I thin it too much? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong to crack my bead release?

Anyone else had a spinner crisis? How did you resolve it?
I've had this happen. And it's usually because I've fried the release into powder by getting into the flame with my mandrel. I think it's excitement and trying to do something faster.

When it happens, point the mandrel either up or down...allowing the slider bead to slip onto the intact bead release. It will just sort of jam there. Get a tool and tap the bead a tiny bit to seat it on the release.

Doesn't give you a lot of time, but it might be enough to finish heating it evenly and get it ready for the kiln.

If there's still a lot of work to be done, water anneal it and move on!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-01-12, 4:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieBSmith View Post
I've had this happen. And it's usually because I've fried the release into powder by getting into the flame with my mandrel. I think it's excitement and trying to do something faster.

When it happens, point the mandrel either up or down...allowing the slider bead to slip onto the intact bead release. It will just sort of jam there. Get a tool and tap the bead a tiny bit to seat it on the release.
Thanks, Laurie - this is exactly what happens. Great suggestion - I'll definitely try it.

I got some Fusion and tried it for the first time today - I LOVE IT! I can encase without getting sparks off of my mandrel near the ends, no bead release fry and crack - it is most excellent. I've had a MUCH better day today.

Regards,
Rita