Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-06-06, 6:29pm

Default Boro Newbie

just spent my afternoon playing with Boro and didn't get anywhere. I'm using a Lynx and basically the same neutral flame I would use on soft glass. the Boro was pliable but really never moved to a liquid, do I need to really crack up things on the torch? i'm just following the directions of the manufacture in setting up the flame. 7-9 inches of a propane fame, turn on the oxygen till it starts to hiss, back off just a touch, turn on the second oxygen and refine flame and candles to 3/8-1/2". no problems in soft glass, just isn't enough to move Boro around.
tips welcome.
thanks Murf
am i just impatient?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-06-06, 6:36pm
Serenity Now!

Turn up your HEAT, Murf! A Lynx'll "do it", you just need a LOT more heat......

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-06-06, 7:29pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

And, just for the record - when working with boro (vs soft) you need to be
really paying attention to how hot your mandrel is getting.
Focus the heat on the glass - not the mandrel.
I burned through a buttload of mandrels before I learned
how to keep them out of the flame .

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-06-06, 8:41pm
The Venerable Bead

crank everything way up but especially the oxygen. the ratio of oxygen to propane is 6 to 1 for a boro flame. you want to bring that bead down to 1-2centimeters away from the torch head too where you wouldn't dare bring a soft glass bead.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-06-06, 9:16pm

Just went out and the results seemed better. The Lynx has two oxygen knobs the main and the fine adjust lets say. If I open the main up to much, then I lose the finer adjustment. Also the clear and I’m trying to make pendants runs or melts much faster than the colors I was applying. Certainly need longer punts than soft glass, and maybe some sun block as well. Thanks, keep any tips coming this way.
Murf

------------------------
Old 2007-06-07, 2:02am
Boro Brat

Murf, what are your pressures at?? I raged my lynx...about 3 psi propane and 20 psi oxy. Boro will melt like buttah Crank it up, bring it close (to the torch head) and melt some boro! You really want to pound a lot of heat into boro to get nice colors...work it white hot and strike at the end. Also remember that with boro, chances are you will be adjusting that flame a LOT. For just about everything I do, the flame gets adjusted...don't be afraid to make the candles longer or a little shorter depending on what you are doing...just be careful if they are shorter that you are pounding plenty of oxy through there to keep the heat off the face of the torch The lynx should melt that glass in no time at all...it's an awesome boro torch!!

Old 2007-06-07, 5:33am

Ditto everyone - plus - it takes a lot of playing with all the variables - flame, glass, and muses - I've had a Lynx for about four months now and every session is a lesson on how everything works together (or doesn't) ... I always intend to try one thing different, but my random nature drives me into trying everything I can think of instead of mastering that one thing I planned on. Oh well... at least I learned how to make tiny encased boro beads on 1/16th mandrels... without burning up the mandrels. Now if I can only get pulled and centerd points ...arrrgh.

I have only tried the Lynx once with soft glass, but I surely love it with boro!

Oh, a face shield helps too.

Go have some fun!
Sally
Old 2007-06-07, 7:28pm

Pipyr - Wow - thanks for posting the pressures you're using with the Lynx. I have been told that I'm not using enough oxygen to get decent colors from boro. I guess I've been following the "rules" too closely - the instructions that came with the Lynx say to set the propane at 5-8 psi and oxygen 10-15 psi. Using the lowest propane (5 psi) and the highest oxygen (15 psi) that GTT recommneds would only give a 3/1 ratio and Paula suggest a 6/1 ratio. I thought I might do harm to the torch if I strayed outside these parameters. Now to find more oxygen!!

Judy
Old 2007-06-07, 9:37pm

I have a question about that 20 psi in oxygen, I am running Dual Devilbiss Concentrators and believe they collectively max at 18 psi and have the propane at 5-8 psi. My question is if I run the full extend of oxygen that I can through the primary knob the secondary knob fails to refine the flame. Really baulk at thought of hooking back to my oxygen tank due to cost. So is the 16-18 psi falling short in my needs? Sorry still need to play more before I can make any judgments, just curious of course.

------------------------
Old 2007-06-08, 9:07am
The Venerable Bead

knock the propane back to 3 and crank both concentrators up to max and you should be good to go. more PSI is better but 18 should do you fine

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-06-09, 12:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
I have a question about that 20 psi in oxygen, I am running Dual Devilbiss Concentrators and believe they collectively max at 18 psi and have the propane at 5-8 psi.
Adding concentrators does not increase the PSI output, just the volume. You are still only getting about 9 to 10 PSI of oxygen, so you probably want to drop your propane down to 3 PSI or so.

I was hoping to get away from tanks, but it looks like unless you go with a high priced generator like the Huricane or Psyclone you just can't get the pressure and volume for boro.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-06-12, 10:40am

I'm pretty much of a boro newbie as well. I have made marbles but have had trouble with getting the colors to come out. I need info on developing colors that are not washed out and on annealing and garage temps and schedules. Thanks tons!!!
Old 2007-06-12, 10:46am

Hi Jeannie...

I pm'd Jeannie and told her she could get some really great boro information in this forum! Hope you get what you're looking for!
Old 2007-06-12, 11:06am

Thanks Jo! I"m gonna go play a little before the temp goes over 100 here and I'll report back later on!
Old 2007-06-12, 3:01pm

OK! Well I am through in there for today. I lit my apron on fire and burned holes in it and sucked in a bunch of smoke and scorched my shorts. I'm gonna go swimming. lol. Thanks for your hints. I'll check more later.