Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2012-05-01, 9:33pm
Hole Challenged

Default Sorry - more questions

Please excuse the questions but I noticed that a lot of the info posted above is a few years old so I would like to verify a few things. I’m really not a beadmaker but have wanted to get involved in this program since I first saw it posted on this forum many years ago. I noticed that everyone keeps stating that wonky beads are okay so maybe it’s time I give it a shot – I think I can do wonky. LOL

I’ve tried to summarize the guidelines and suggestions from various posts and this is what I have so far. I do have a few questions in each part.

Overall -
No reactive glass
Clean out bead release

AOC beads – anything goes shape/style/color wise – a 3/32 hole is best but 1/16 will be acceptable. Approx 1-1/4” long. (That’s going to be a challenge for me – I work really tiny.) Bigger and brighter are better - Animals, cartoony, sports and food related are big hits. This might work out alright for me because I prefer something a bit sculptural. I noticed the comment that what we might think as pretty are sometimes the last to be chosen, does this include floral beads? I wouldn’t want to spend the time making florals if they are not a favorite. Is there a certain age group that is in the biggest need? I did notice 3 ages mentioned (3, 9 and 16) and would like to create my bead designs with a certain age group in mind even though I know that they can be chosen by anyone. I would definitely go more kiddie for the youngest ones and something more age related for the older ones.

Purple hearts have to be approved and sent to a different address. - I would like to understand this process better since I did have a custom heart press made a few years ago with this program in mind but then decided to take a break for glass. Are these still being accepted? The linked submittal form was from 2 years ago so I thought it best to check. If so, I would make a specific design and then send it in for approval? Only one of that particular design … correct? If they like it they will contact me for more. Has to be 1-1/4” wide (hope I didn’t have the press made in a 1” width). If you are chosen you have to commit to making at least 50 of the accepted design within one year’s time. Is that correct?

Butterfly beads are best with vertical holes and wire wrapped if possible but still accepted if not. - No protruding small parts that can easily be broken (that’s a given any way) and secure wings. I’ve noticed that most of the butterfly beads I’ve seen posted are very similar in shape – is this a mandatory shape or am I free to explore my own ideas? I recently started playing with silversmithing so if I wanted to incorporate antennas somehow in the wire work would that be acceptable?

Again, sorry for asking questions on things that have been answered numerous times before – I just want to make sure I have the most up to date info before proceeding. You have no idea how hard this is going to be for me since I am very much “hole” challenged. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-02, 5:37am

Hi Melodie,
Thanks for bringing this up - I think it's time to re-visit and update.

For AoC beads things haven't changed a lot except that we need more of them than ever. The smaller kids tend to go for the brighter primary colors while the older kids like more complexity. There isn't a target group with a greater need - we are critically low on all AoC beads. Sculptural beads are great so long as they don't have bits that are likely to break off.

We've recently moved to a commercially produced Purple Heart as well as Butterfly bead for most cases. It was just not possible to keep up with the number and quality required. We do use the hand made beads when we have them and we're alwys happy to see them come in the door, but making them is not as high a priority as it once was. The Act of Courage beads are our main focus with the glass bead community.

Look for a new set of guidelines very soon!

Thank you for all you do for Beads of Courage!

Robert
Old 2012-05-02, 1:37pm

So just to be sure .. beads need to be 1" or larger, yes?
Old 2012-05-02, 2:01pm
Loving learning

I'm always confused because the website says "all sizes and shapes".

I really want the beads I send in to be useable for Courage Beads for the kids. Everything I've seen lately is saying larger beads are what is needed, so I'm trying to go larger than 1 inch at a minimum (I seem to mostly make between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2") so that they can be put in the Act of Courage program. Are there two types, Act of Courage, and Big Act of Courage that need different beads?

I'd really be glad to see exactly what is needed, because the larger ones do take more time (and glass), so if I made them a little smaller then naturally I could make more, but if they need to be larger I don't want to waste my time/glass by making beads that aren't up to standard for Act of Courage beads, even if I don't make quite as many.

I will still sometimes send in other beads from my bead bowl if they are needed also.
Old 2012-05-02, 5:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

I believe all beads get used. I think BOC gets a lot of smaller beads and so the need is greater for larger beads. It's not that they don't use both, there is just more need for the big honking kid beads. But I would continue to send beads of any size which is what I plan to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-05-02, 5:29pm

All beads do get used but, as Elizabeth says, the really big ones go out for special Act of Courage purposes. We can use any beads that you will send us.

Robert
Old 2012-05-02, 6:09pm
Loving learning

Thanks, I'll keep making the larger ones, but stick in the smaller ones that I come up with testing colors, etc. too.
BOC is a great way to torch & feel like the beads will be used and matter to someone even though they may not be gorgeous yet.
Oh, & Melodie, I think the comment about how "pretty" beads to us may not be the same to all the kids, just meant a bead you may hesitate to send might be perfect for one of the kids, so send them as well as the "pretty" ones.
Old 2012-05-12, 4:19pm

Quote:
We've recently moved to a commercially produced Purple Heart as well as Butterfly bead for most cases. It was just not possible to keep up with the number and quality required
Would it be possible to see pics of the commercial produced beads so we have an idea of the requirements?

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-05-14, 9:07am

I'll see if I can get a photo or two posted.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:09pm

Smile purple heart :)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

there is my purple heart (its really pretty

and the back of it

and me with my beads- now over 2000!!!

health update- holding on, i have lost most of my vision to a rare disease so in treatment for that
and now having belly problems
recently diagnosed with epilepsy
and an mri found a brain lesion

i super exsited cause i leave for england in july!!! london olympics here i come!!!
Old 2012-05-20, 7:26am

Hang in there! I hope that y ou have a wonderful time in London this summer.

Robert
Old 2012-05-20, 1:21pm
Loving learning

How exciting, both the heart and the trip! I hope the trip is all you've dreamed of and you have a great time!
Old 2012-05-20, 3:43pm
Hole Challenged

Hope your trip to England is fantastic!!!!! Please come back after you get home to let us know what a great time you had.

Old 2012-06-26, 9:39am
Susan

Hi, revisiting this topic... I am still making butterfly beads from time to time and was wondering what the commercial one looks like.

Old 2012-06-26, 9:56am

I'll try to get a picture for you.

Robert
Old 2012-06-26, 1:25pm

Here's the commercial butterfly that we are using now.
Robert
Old 2012-06-26, 7:41pm
I think I could be a bead

Robert, are these butterflies glass? I'm just wondering since there was such a fuss about glass sculptural butterflies in the past. Maybe I'm confuse on that point though.

Old 2012-06-26, 8:35pm
Susan

Yeah.. I guess I am wondering if I should continue making butterfly beads

Old 2012-06-27, 9:07am

I believe that they are a pressed glass product but I haven't had one in my hand, so I can't be positive at the moment. I can tell you that they have been well received by the BoC community and have added an element of consistency (a good thing). We really need the bigger Act of Courage type beads and that would be a good area in which to focus your efforts.
Thank you for all you do for Beads of Courage!
Robert
Old 2012-06-27, 9:21am
Susan

Ok.. well then question.. I have made some one inch diameter straight sided lentils with butterflies on the side. Would you use these for AOC beads?

Old 2012-06-27, 9:52am

Yes we can. Some of the kids really like the butterfly motif so it does get used in areas aside from the bereavement bead from time to time.
Robert