No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-26, 8:24am
Semi Retired

firedancer, they are yours. Found your address in Roagk. hope you have better luck with them.

monarae, if you try fusing with it, please let us know the result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|

|

Last edited by dichromary; 2010-01-26 at 7:20pm.
Old 2010-01-26, 8:27am

I just got the foil in the mail the other day. No time to try it yet, darn it lol! Firedancer you beat me to it lol! Will be interested to see how it works for you.
I just did a couple of beads with the champagne rose, I just haven't had time to take any more pics. I can't wait for that shipment to come in lol!

Old 2010-01-26, 10:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
I wonder how the dichro fuses.
ooh, I would think well--since it's got issues with the flame, not with the kiln--please try it & show us? if it works for you, I might send you mine if it doesn't play nice after a few more tries, as I don't have *any* kiln--never mind a fusing kiln
(imagining it would be gorgeous trapped under clear for some barrettes, or pendants, as it's already done so thin!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-26, 12:47pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I think it might be worth a try, but I'm skeptical (sp?) Even though I used it successfully in the flame and encased it in clear, it all disappeared even though it was encased. If I try I'll let you know.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-01-26, 8:22pm

Thank you Dichromary. I will give it all a play.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-01-26, 8:40pm

BEADS MADE WITH DEVARDIGLASS AND THEIR NEW SILVER FOIL

[image]191891[ devardi hi density black base with army green, med brown, burgandy, and dark brown frit

transparent purple and Silver ivory stringer

trans sunset red base, butterscotch, med brown, dk brown, and Silvery Ivory stringer.

Sorry for the big pictures, I'm lucky I got them up at all with my poor computer skills. I absolutely love their silver foil !!!!
Old 2010-01-26, 8:53pm
Semi Retired

yum, baby firefly! did you use moretti ivory or devardi ivory for the sis?

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-01-26, 10:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
yum, baby firefly! did you use moretti ivory or devardi ivory for the sis?
The dark earth tone and the dk purple strands of beads have a mix of each, some SIS made with moretti. and some SIS made with devardi ivory. At the time I made the bottom strand of beads I didn't have any devardi ivory, I mentioned this to Natasha and she graciously put a couple sticks of their ivory in my freebie bag that came with my glass order.
Old 2010-01-27, 6:14am

baby firefly: They are so beautiful. I love your color combinations. Great job!!!And your pictures are just fine. As saying in Big Bad wolf. All the better to see you with, my Dear.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[

Last edited by firedancer; 2010-01-27 at 6:16am.
Old 2010-01-27, 6:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
BEADS MADE WITH DEVARDIGLASS AND THEIR NEW SILVER FOIL
Sorry for the big pictures, I'm lucky I got them up at all with my poor computer skills. I absolutely love their silver foil !!!!
Can I just say WOW !? Really beautiful work!

Thank you for posting them big too - it's great to see the detail and see what their silver does!

Old 2010-01-27, 9:22am

thanks you guys, always happy to share my color combos....I get lots of silver balls on the SIS stringers but unfortunately, I couldn't get enough detail to show them off. The SIS goes bonkers on most of the devardi colors, I haven't found any colors yet with ho-hum reactions. I was surprised at the reaction on the trans purple, my SIS picked up some blue hue to it that is really awesome. Don't know why that would happen but it's very cool.
Old 2010-01-27, 10:42am

Big pictures are always better lol. I am going to be playing with my foil this weekend I do believe. Love that color combination.

Old 2010-02-03, 7:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Pandora Beads

Hi Everyone, I got 2 minutes to rub together and made up these two Pandora Beads. Since the 3 little ones arrived we are beyond busy!

Everything is Devardi including the gold Insert. The Transparent Cranberry really cleaned up nice - no residue inside.

Old 2010-02-04, 10:40am

I received the dichro, Yesterday, and have not had a chance to work with it. I have injured my leg, and knee, and in for Xrays, and Mri on my knee. So will let you all know as soon as I get better. Thanks Dichro Mary.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-02-04, 10:52am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Hope the news is good and healing is fast Nell

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-02-13, 9:55pm

I got so excited that the sun was shining and I could get some decent pictures that I forgot to turn the camera on macro They are much prettier when you're looking at them for real...All I can tell you is that I'm using the heat of the bead to melt the dichro. When I encased the dichro, I had the base bead, behind the flame. I've been on the torch less than 9 months now and I made these beads, a good 2 months ago. I'm not having problems working with it. I use a mag-torch and propane, that's about as stone age as it gets.!!!!

Old 2010-02-14, 6:23am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
I got so excited that the sun was shining and I could get some decent pictures that I forgot to turn the camera on macro They are much prettier when you're looking at them for real...All I can tell you is that I'm using the heat of the bead to melt the dichro. When I encased the dichro, I had the base bead, behind the flame. I've been on the torch less than 9 months now and I made these beads, a good 2 months ago. I'm not having problems working with it. I use a mag-torch and propane, that's about as stone age as it gets.!!!!
Such pretty color combinations firefly! Awesome that you are getting such nice results! Post macro or regular - it's great to see your results!

Firedancer - so sorry to hear that you got injured. We hope you recover quickly. Let us know what the outcome is.
Old 2010-02-14, 7:47am

Thanks Finefolly: Thanks everybody for your thoughts. And thanks Natasha, from Devardi, for taking the time, to send me a personal email. That was so thoughtful.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-02-14, 8:40am

Pretty dichro beads! And the cranberry really is a pretty color. I just made my first big hole bead. Its made with the Mango from Devardi and the inserts and the mandrel were also from them. I think I really like this color a lot and will be ordering a lot of it. I have had some trouble with burning some of the other brands of oranges and this one didn't even come close to being burnt. Of course that may just be because I am getting better too lol.

Old 2010-02-14, 9:17am

Sonja, cool bead !! I've always wondered about that color, thanks for sharing. Did you make up your own frit? I love the color combination.!
Old 2010-02-14, 9:33am

Thanks! This particular frit was a gift from the secret santa thread. It is very pretty I will be sorry when its gone lol. Its also 96 coe, so Devardi works with that in the proper ratio of course.

Old 2010-02-14, 9:45am

It seems like the prettiest frits are the 96 coe, I've used them with Devardi too, sometimes not so sparingly....lol....and I've always had great results.
Old 2010-03-04, 8:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Snails

Hi everyone. I was drooling over Wesley Fleming's work (http://www.wesleyfleming.com/gallery/index.htm) and decided to try my hand at snails. Here are some pics of them. I work on a Hothead and I love the way this glss holds detail in a flame!

I used Devardi D162-Opaque Light Gray, and D75-Transparent Dark Amber for the snail bodies and the murrini are Effetre.

Old 2010-03-04, 8:49am

Oh what cute snails
I have a question. I have a rod of Devardi that when in rod form is a dark root bear brown, but when melted it turns kind of greenish and turns into a semi transparent. Could someone please tell me what color this is? It came in some sample glass that they sent me with my very first order.

Thanks.

Old 2010-03-04, 10:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Color Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Oh what cute snails
I have a question. I have a rod of Devardi that when in rod form is a dark root bear brown, but when melted it turns kind of greenish and turns into a semi transparent. Could someone please tell me what color this is? It came in some sample glass that they sent me with my very first order.

Thanks.
I emailed Devardi and this was their answer. Hope it helps!

"Hi, Yes, this is one of the caramels. Some have a greenish tinge to them. It's probably between D151 and D156 on the chart. Here's the link to the chart:

http://www.devardiglass.com/chart.html

Maybe they can match the colors. I have a bunch of those coming in the next shipment. The more you heat this color, the more opaque it becomes. Keep it very cool, and it stays the caramel color in the rod.
Natasha"
Old 2010-03-04, 10:59am

Oh thank you so much for doing that for me. I made some leaves out of this color with a leaf press, and it's just a wonderful color.

I just ordered a couple of days ago. I guess I'm placing another one. Time to shop again.

Old 2010-03-04, 11:08am

The snails are too cute! I hate that their most recent shipment has been delayed. I am so looking forward to the coppered colored glass!
Old 2010-03-04, 11:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you on the snails! They were such fun to make, and the first time I made something without a mandrel! It was scary, but then fun and addicting!

I think it is coming in mid-April, but I am not sure. I am waiting too. It's kinda like waiting for Christmas! I want to wait to order tool things when I get all the new glass... fun, fun, fun coming!
Old 2010-03-04, 11:41am

Love the snails!

I have a some rods of citrine that look dark yellow but when heated are a beautiful orangey color.

Does anyone know if their intense black works like the intense black that spiders when heated to high temps?

I am eagerly anticipating their new shipment as well, I need to purchase more of the clear and would like to try a couple of the colors I haven't tried yet. I am upgrading to a cricket from my hothead (just waiting for them to come in) and can't wait to see how some of the colors do with that torch. I have more pictures as soon as I finish editing I will post.

Old 2010-03-04, 12:09pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Love the snails!

I am upgrading to a cricket from my hothead (just waiting for them to come in) and can't wait to see how some of the colors do with that torch. I have more pictures as soon as I finish editing I will post.

Thank you! And PLEASE do tell how you like the Cricket. I am wanting to upgrade from a HH in the near future and would like to hear from people using either the Cricket or the Nortel Minor for detail work!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi