The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-30, 4:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Moon Lampwork View Post
I find it kind of "suspect" that this is your first post on this forum.
Indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2014-07-30, 5:52pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Moon Lampwork View Post
I find it kind of "suspect" that this is your first post on this forum.
I don't. A lot of beginners buy Devardi products/glass, and beginners often lurk for a long time before they register with this forum. Low post count doesn't mean much to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-07-30, 6:02pm
Against the Grain

For heaven's sake.

Old 2014-07-31, 7:58am
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbunny2009 View Post
See, this is where things go wrong in these conversations.

Saying someone's post is "suspect" is disrespectful and condescending, putting others on the defensive.

The topic of the thread is poor service, not spectacular service, for this particular vendor. If several buyers are having issues with multiple aspects of how a vendor does business, in my opinion, it is good to share on this type of forum. There are many glass vendors out there and I prefer to support the ones who do give consistantly great service, while delivering a reasonably priced product in a well-packed, unbroken manner.

I stumbled across Devardi on my own on ebay. Other vendors that I now use, I found here in discussions on LE, and so far LE members have not steered me wrong.

Any vendor like Devardi that has such a love/hate relationship with its buyers, should make any buyer cautious.
This.

Flonche, the fact that this is his first post is not what I find suspect, and I only used that word because he did. It's what he chose to say as his first post that seems a little odd, disrespectful, and condescending, and suspicious. Maybe you didn't read his post, so I just wanted to clarify. I certainly don't think that everybody who posts for the first time on this forum is "suspect." That would be pretty silly.

Old 2014-07-31, 9:05am
Disconnected

Yes, that's what I understood from the conversation as well, Lynn. I guess it's poor timing from him, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his opinion on Devardi.
I mean that I wouldn't connect his opinion with his post count and would treat a new poster the same way as a regular here, even though his opinion is strongly stated. I mean that one post is too early to "suspect" in my humble opinion. When they keep going on and on about how we're all wrong and we all get called out for being a bunch of middle-aged bead ladies, then it becomes annoying. But we're not there yet
And I know you're not silly.

Old 2014-07-31, 9:51am
Against the Grain

I understand Flonche. I believe that everyone is telling the truth about their past experiences with Devardi. Seems like something has changed recently.

John, I hope you will continue to participate on this forum.

Old 2014-07-31, 8:18pm

A late opinion, and I'm a newb lurker, but I ave primarily bought from Devardi, with a few purchases from other retailers online. Devardi ships really predictably, and fast.

Their glass is cheap (not costly), for sure, and is irregular in rod size and even shape sometimes. Clearly hand-pulled, but I expected as much. I had read that they actually help to raise conditions for those that made their glass? I could be naive.

Twice I have had inclusions in rods of what appeared to be clay/release.

Since I began using a rod warmer I haven't had issues with shockiness basically at all. Before then it was all about color/pigment saturation.

I've never had an issue, so I've never interfaced with their customer service. I order glass, tools, aventurine, and silver foil from them.
Old 2014-07-31, 9:41pm
I like to melt things

I have never used Devardi, and therefore have no useful opinion to share about it, but I feel like we need to disabuse the notion that hand pulled glass is by necessity 'irregular in rod size and even shape'.

Every other glass manufacturer that hand pulls their rods (which is all of them) seems to recognize that glass rods that have these problems can't be sold as first quality product. Quality control is better with some manufacturers than others, but it is notoriously absent with Devardi.

For example, if you buy a pound of Effetre, you may get one irregularly shaped rod or one with a small stone, or no problems at all. If you buy a pound of CiM or Double Helix, it will most likely be utterly perfect and have no problems at all. If you buy a pound of Devardi, it will pretty much always be all over the map, from what I understand.

It is up to everyone individually to decide the level of poor quality that they can personally tolerate. Some colours are so desirable, that they are worth putting up with weird quality problems. However, I would be hard-pressed to accept both poor quality product AND substandard service. I hope that the OP's problem gets sorted out and that everyone else who deals with Devardi has much more positive experiences going forward.

-
-
Old 2014-08-01, 9:24am

imo & ime, devardi glass isn't sorted at all (quality wise). i know they have fats, rods, and "stringers" (i put stringers into "'s because imo 4 to 5mm isn't stringer...it's cane) so they sort for size to some extent, but as for 1sts, 2nds, odds etc.....it's all the same to them.

devardi...great for basic tools and some of the colors are actually decent, but mainly just tools for me. i've got a $30 set of large claw grabbers (the kind with the support disc that you would use for goblets and the like) and i straight up LOVE them. they're better quality then some of the higher dollar grabbers i've seen.
Old 2014-08-01, 1:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieG View Post
I have never used Devardi, and therefore have no useful opinion to share about it, but I feel like we need to disabuse the notion that hand pulled glass is by necessity 'irregular in rod size and even shape'.

Every other glass manufacturer that hand pulls their rods (which is all of them) seems to recognize that glass rods that have these problems can't be sold as first quality product. Quality control is better with some manufacturers than others, but it is notoriously absent with Devardi.

For example, if you buy a pound of Effetre, you may get one irregularly shaped rod or one with a small stone, or no problems at all. If you buy a pound of CiM or Double Helix, it will most likely be utterly perfect and have no problems at all. If you buy a pound of Devardi, it will pretty much always be all over the map, from what I understand.

It is up to everyone individually to decide the level of poor quality that they can personally tolerate. Some colours are so desirable, that they are worth putting up with weird quality problems. However, I would be hard-pressed to accept both poor quality product AND substandard service. I hope that the OP's problem gets sorted out and that everyone else who deals with Devardi has much more positive experiences going forward.
Good Point. Lauscha is also hand pulled. For the most part it is all pulled evenly and without bubbles so it is rarely shocky. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-08-01, 3:54pm

The Devardi nonsense is why I don't post that much here anymore.
Old 2014-08-01, 9:08pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Good Point. Lauscha is also hand pulled. For the most part it is all pulled evenly and without bubbles so it is rarely shocky. Paula
So true! And I always marvel at how even though Lauscha rods are usually really thick, they are rarely shocky at all apart from when you reheat a previously heated rod tip.

-
-
Old 2014-08-02, 8:13am

I have never seen a Lauscha rod with an air bubble. I have seen some clear with marks in it years ago. It turned out that the guys in the shop were paddling too hard and that is how the marks got there. Melanie they do make skinnier rods but they (still in today's market) want a premium for them. If the Euro ever went down then they might become affordable. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-08-04, 3:57pm
Formerly FishBulb

I remember when Devardi first came out, and the thread on here about it turned into a real mess. That's the same thread Hayley and others were referencing. I've never had any interest in dealing with Devardi after reading that. O.o

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2014-08-05, 10:06am

Well, reading this thread reminded me that I wanted to try some of Devardi's glass. And I placed my first order. It should get in tomorrow. Will let you know how it was packaged and if I was pleased with it. Not to worried about the shocky part. I use a Czech rod holder for preheating my glass. Makes things go a lot faster.
Old 2014-08-05, 1:36pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
The Devardi nonsense is why I don't post that much here anymore.
Really? That's the only reason? All the other battles that go on around here and just one topic is enough to keep you away yet that's the one you choose to post on?

|
|
Old 2014-08-06, 7:01am

Box of goodies just arrived. I bought tools and glass. They were not packaged perfectly, but the glass itself was rolled in paper, placed in a box, inside the mailing box. Out of a hundred rods or so, one is broken.
Old 2014-08-06, 8:33am
Slogan Challenged...

So far, so good! They do have some gorgeous colors, have fun

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-06, 11:23pm
Naysayer

Back to my post about the envelope, it wasn't glass, it was a graphite tool...still.

I'm a sucker for glass though, I do want to try some of their pinks, sounds like I may try it seeing as they use boxes now lol.
Old 2014-08-07, 5:19am
one day at a time

The pinks and those butterscotch pudding/peachy colors - yummy!
Old 2015-04-03, 9:26am

I began lampworking about 2 years ago and Devardi was my first "practice" glass because of the prices. I learned how to use it by pre-warming and didn't know that most glass didn't require this warming. Now that I have began buying and using other glass I have found that it does need the extra time and had decided that I wouldn't use it anymore. However, I have also discovered that they have colors that I can't find anywhere else. For that reason, I have kept all my Devardi glass and just stick it in my kiln to heat up before I try to make beads with it. Customer service has always been exceptional and I have had good luck with their tools.
Old 2015-08-27, 12:24am

Wow, Daniel is extremely unprofessional and passive aggressive. I bought 2lbs of glass from Devardi and when it showed up it was wavy, full of inclusions and all over the map in terms of size. I sealed it back up, marked it return to sender and sent it back that day. When I emailed to say I wasn't happy Daniel threw a hissy fit. I had to file a dispute with paypal to hopefully get my money back.

As far as the quality goes, I used to pull cane in college. Never had a problem with inclusions or wavy glass. The thick part at the ends was either thrown in the trash or used as frit. No one in their right mind would want to use a piece of cane that starts at 1/2" and goes up to 1-1/2" at the other end. (He denies they ever have pieces that big.)
Old 2015-08-27, 12:12pm

Your experience with Daniel has become the norm. Personally, I'm surprised their still in business with his attitude.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]