LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-06, 3:11pm

Default How do you encase a lentil bead?

I know, I know, this is a terribly Newbie question. In the past I have bought some beautiful encased lentils and tabs from some of you on LE. Now that I have learned, somewhat, my lentil press, I am dammed if I can encase lentils and get them to come the same sizewise. Is there a tutorial that addresses this issue? Or could some kind soul educate me? Thanks so much in advance.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#R-85
Old 2010-06-06, 3:45pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

encase it before you press it.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-06-06, 4:31pm
Storm Queen

It just takes some practice to get the amount of glass right. After awhile it becomes second nature. Just try to keep your encasing as thin as possible...something else that just requires practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-06, 5:09pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Nancy I'm certainly no expert and am trying to learn just like you. If it will help I'll tell you what I've been doing and I'm starting to have some success with it, just need a LOT more PPP.

I do my core color as an olive pit shape that ends just short of where each lentil hole starts. I mark my mandrels with a sharpie so I'll know right where I want my glass. Then I get my encasing glass really molten so that it's more like painting it on than rolling it on if that makes sense. I put clear around each end to seal the core in and then for the body I paint with the encasing glass back and forth, as thin as I can get it like Amy says. I always look it over one final time for any missed spots where I didn't cover the core completely because I learned the hard way if there's a hole for the core to come through it will and that ruins the bead, at least for me. HTH.

Old 2010-06-06, 5:32pm
Formerly FishBulb

I also encase before I press.

If you want minimal mess to the core decoration, you could do something like Astrid is describing, make the core smaller, press it then encase, and press again.

I found when I use presses I sometimes have to re-do it several times before everything is right. When I was new to presses I thought just one press would be enough, but now I've seen that's not the case. Don't be afraid to re-press as often as you need!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-06-06, 5:40pm

Candice, Amy, Astrid and Angie, thanks so much for your input. This is what I thought was the right way, to encase before pressing. I did try it and had a few little gaps between the lentil color and the edge of the clear encasement. But I need to get back to practicing it again. I just moved my torching equipment from a remote studio back home to my garage, so am hoping that this coming week I'll be ready to start back up and try it some more. You guys are the bestest!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2010-06-06, 6:14pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
I also encase before I press.

If you want minimal mess to the core decoration, you could do something like Astrid is describing, make the core smaller, press it then encase, and press again.

I found when I use presses I sometimes have to re-do it several times before everything is right. When I was new to presses I thought just one press would be enough, but now I've seen that's not the case. Don't be afraid to re-press as often as you need!
This is so true for me too!