Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-27, 1:45am

Default Need help to identify some glass

Hi everybody,

need some help on this glass.

Ordered Vetrofond Yellow Ice 947 Odd.
Received the glass above, which I think is not Yellow Ice.
But I'm not sure, cause I never ordered that glass before.
Maybe Vetrofond Sunshine Odd 946 ??
It would be very helpful, if somebody have a pic. of their Yellow Ice or any suggestion, what I received instead.

Thanks in advance
Elke

Old 2010-07-27, 4:27am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default yellow ice

wow, that's not what I would call yellow ice-though I can see where if you didn't know (i.e. lost the label), someone might have assumed that's what it was. frantz pix

yellow ice looks more like an almost transluscent ivory. I use it for everything, love it under silver glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2010-07-27, 4:48am

Thank you Charmaine,

the seller I bought from has the same pic.
When I told him, he sent the wrong glass, he answered, that odd lots always vary in color and the reason for my complaint was, that I just don't like the color from that batch.
There's no other seller here in Germany handling with Yellow Ice.
Frantz don't offer paypal and other US sellers take $ 34 shipping for 2 lbs.
So, no Yellow Ice for me.

Elke
Old 2010-07-27, 4:57am

Maybe it's lemon meringue 949?
Old 2010-07-27, 5:28am

Maybe try for a swap in the garage?
Old 2010-07-27, 6:00am
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Elke!
That doesn't look anything like the yellow ice I have . . . . mine looks like a very pale ivory, not yellow.

Maybe make a bead with one rod just to see what is looks like, that might help identify the color

Old 2010-07-27, 7:15am
Rose colored glasses…√

It's wrong that they won't take it back...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-27, 7:29am
one day at a time

That looks like a standard special color - "bright yellow" S-416. I've seen this color named sulfur yellow and acid yellow in the past.
Old 2010-07-27, 7:50am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I just dont understand why the seller refuses to take it back? This is ridiculous, if you order something (no matter what it is) online, or without being able to hand pick it yourself, you should always have a right for return. I would just tell the seller that you might wanna contact somebody about the consumer rights in this case, and maybe he would see, that he is being unreasonable. Odd or not, you have to be able to return the item that is not what you wanted it to be.
I would be so furious, that I would feed the "yellow ice" for the seller, even if it cost me more than buying another batch!
Just FYI.. I dont recommend eating yellow ice...
I hope you will be able to swap it, looks pretty, but nothing like it should.
Old 2010-07-27, 9:17am
And silence is golden

At least yours ended up looking like what I would consider Yellow Ice to somewhat resemble. Have you made a test bead with it yet? You might be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the elusive yellow that I am searching for lies in this color! Take a look at my Yellow Ice rods. I actually thought that the vendor had sent me Ivory instead.

I decided to do a test bead on my Yellow Ice. There isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that this is Vetrofond Ivory. Not a bit of yellow in it. I'll be checking with the vendor to get his opinion.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-07-27 at 9:22am.
Old 2010-07-27, 9:21am

Elke, your supplier should definitely give you a refund on that snot green glass, especially if their website photo showed the real ivory version. Batches can vary, but they don't vary THAT much.

FYI, ABR Imagery here in the States is having a 50% off sale on Vetrofond, so you might be able to get some of the real Yellow Ice from them and the discount on the glass will help offset your shipping cost.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169955

Old 2010-07-27, 9:25am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
Elke, your supplier should definitely give you a refund on that snot green glass, especially if their website photo showed the real ivory version.
Is this glass supposed to be IVORY? Not a pale yellow?
Old 2010-07-27, 9:25am

Aleta,

The Yellow Ice in your photo is the way the glass normally looks. Your first photo looks like every batch I've ever bought. In the rods, it's more translucent than Effetre or Vetrofond light ivory but it opacifies once it's melted, just like in your second photo. What you have is the real deal, though they might have chosen a more appropriate name for it.

Old 2010-07-27, 9:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Is this glass supposed to be IVORY? Not a pale yellow?
Yep. It's a translucent ivory.

Old 2010-07-27, 9:29am
And silence is golden

Well dang! If I wanted Ivory, I would have bought Ivory. I like that there Snot Green glass that Elke has!
Old 2010-07-27, 9:32am

Yellow Ice is superior to ivory when you're working with silver glass. It's handy stuff to have around, even if you bought it thinking you were getting something else.

Old 2010-07-27, 11:35am

Thanks a bunch everybody for the great help.
I haven't made a test bead, cause I want to send back that ugly glass.
Contacted the seller again to remind him of the right to send back everything within 14 days.
He agreed then, but I've to send it back on my own costs.
I don't mind about, if he don't need good buying customers, okay.
I also find out, there was another name for 947 Yellow Ice here in Europe, it was called Belgian Lace.
But can't find any sellers here.
ABR doesn't show any 50% off for Vetrofond, just 40% on Momka's.
The best price for it, just $ 15.60 for 1 lb. I found at Frantz.
I don't have a credit card, just a verified paypal account, but Frantz do not offer that method.
So, maybe I try to get some thru the garage.

Thanks again !!
Elke

Old 2010-07-27, 11:46am

Elke..maybe you should make just one test bead of it..it may be exactly the color yellow Aleta is looking for..maybe you can work out something with her if it is.
I just ordered some last week from mike franz..I don't remember it looking like ivory..I'm confused now too..lol
"

Old 2010-07-27, 12:03pm

I paid $ 36 for the glass and to ship it to the US would cost another $ 18.
A lot of money for 30 rods of an undefined glass I think.
And if I make a test bead, maybe the seller won't take it back, he's very special.

Elke
Old 2010-07-27, 12:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post

ABR doesn't show any 50% off for Vetrofond, just 40% on Momka's.
The best price for it, just $ 15.60 for 1 lb. I found at Frantz.
I don't have a credit card, just a verified paypal account, but Frantz do not offer that method.
Elke, ABR posted in the sale rack this morning that until August 6th they have the Vetrofond odds on sale at 12.00 per pound. And they do take Paypal.

It probably isn't mentioned on their website. You have to mention the sale in the comments box when you order. Here's the link to the sale announcement:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169955

Old 2010-07-27, 12:21pm

Thanks so much Kim
That sounds more than good just hurry up to order.

Elke
Old 2010-07-27, 12:42pm
Pink pink pink!

elke I don't know who supplied it to you, but try and contact Q & Griet at Glassworks in belgium as i know they did have belgian lace (yellow ice) until recently. x

**Sparkly treats at All That Sparkles Jewellery**
Old 2010-07-27, 1:01pm

Thanks Shalaa,

I visited their website yesterday, but didn't find it there.
Now I just ordered at ABR 5 lbs.............will last for a while.

Elke

Last edited by Locococo; 2010-07-27 at 1:28pm.
Old 2010-07-27, 1:01pm
lurking on LE since 2005

just my 2 cents, but for an odd lot, they seem to have made a lot of it...

I've bought it from lots of different vendors at different times-there might be a slight variation in its opacity, but any time I've ordered it, it always looks like a not quite solid color light ivory, never actually "yellow", though I think there was a lemon ice odd that was also reactive...?

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2010-07-27, 1:15pm

Charmaine,

I don't know how many lists/websites and posts I was going thru today, but Yellow Ice and Lemon Ice was always stated as the same glass.

Elke
Old 2010-07-27, 1:24pm
Pink pink pink!

elke, always drop Q an email as their site isn't always up to date. sometimes they have hidden stock!! lol!

**Sparkly treats at All That Sparkles Jewellery**
Old 2010-07-27, 1:24pm

Quote:
Thanks Shalaa,

I visited their website yesterday, but didn't find it there.
Now I just ordered at ABR 5 lb.............will last for a while.

Elke
Yeah, Dave just posted this sale this morning.

& Thanks Kim
Old 2010-07-27, 1:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pink View Post
elke, always drop Q an email as their site isn't always up to date. sometimes they have hidden stock!! lol!
Shalaa,

a seller, who's handling with glass and has an online store and want to sell, should have stated all their glass.
To write an e-mail and ask "hey, what else do you have?" seems to be weird to me.

Elke

Last edited by Locococo; 2010-07-27 at 2:49pm.
Old 2010-07-27, 4:32pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Shalaa,

a seller, who's handling with glass and has an online store and want to sell, should have stated all their glass.
To write an e-mail and ask "hey, what else do you have?" seems to be weird to me.

Elke
But it's not weird to the vendor, if they are a small shop (like me) I have more than 1000 items in my physical store and have nearly 800 on my website... I work alone and cannot afford to hire someone to get the remaining 200+ items onto my website. I do it as time permits. I guess what I am saying is, maybe they are just behind on getting things up to date. And an email asking if they have this item shouldn't be weird. Of course they want to sell... just because they may not have everything on their site doesn't mean they don't.

Old 2010-07-27, 5:23pm
Entropy increasing....

Yellow Ice is a very pale ivory and it reacts with silver glass. It's a really nice color. It becomes opaque after you melt it. It's a sort of off white.