Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-04, 7:31am
Angie09

Default What is the trick to a mirror finish?

I use alot of Triton and Aurae because I love the mirror finish. However, about 1 out of every 3 beads is either under-reduced or over-reduced. I have turned down my kiln to 900, put in extra lights behind me so I (supposedly) can see better, wear glasses PLUS magnifiers, only do 1 bead on a mandrel and still I don't have anywhere near great continuous results. Is there a trick to viewing the mirror reflection on a bead? How do YOU know when you've reduced it just right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... I've run out of ideas!!
Old 2012-01-04, 2:12pm
Angie09

No one? Even if it's just holding your tongue just right ... any help would be great!
Old 2012-01-04, 2:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I turn up the torch to a reducing flame and then lightly wave it through the top part of the flame. Just for a few seconds and then pop it in the kiln. I guess I can see well because I wear magnifiers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-04, 2:52pm
too many rods in the fire

I do the same as Gems, but I have also had some of the same problems you are describing, Angie!

My experience has been that once I have over or under-reduced the bead, it is often hard for me to get back that mirror finish. If I get it on there, it immediately goes into the kiln - if I continue to mess with the bead I find I often ruin the finish and can't recover it evenly.

I know that is no help to you, but I wanted to at least commiserate! I will be interested to read others' responses to this.

Old 2012-01-04, 3:03pm
Angie09

You know I do the same but I just don't seem to get all the glass reduced (or over reduce)....thought maybe it was because of the reflection cuz they look shiny when they go into the kiln but come out either under/over reduced. Maybe a flash light??? I'm just groping for ideas at this point.
Old 2012-01-04, 3:26pm
Rose colored glasses…√

With Triton and Aurae I don't use a reducing flame. I twirl my bead, passing it through the bluish part of the flame, near the face of the torch, a number of times.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-01-04, 3:29pm

I LOVE my Triton! I'll only slightly reduce my flame (if at all) then give the bead a couple of quick passes through the flame-that usually gives me that type of finish.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-01-04, 3:31pm

Triton and Aurae are really easy to reduce, so I think the problem would be over reducing. I get the best results with a just barely reducing flame, with a soft waving of the bead just at the bottom of the flame (as in the underside) - if I get too agressive, it gets some poopish (a technical term) spots.

And you could be losing reduction in your kiln. Check the threads that recommend charcoal in your kiln to maintain a neutral or reducing atmosphere.
Old 2012-01-04, 3:42pm
Angie09

I thought the idea of charcoal turned out to not be helpful....do you use it?
Old 2012-01-04, 3:44pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
With Triton and Aurae I don't use a reducing flame. I twirl my bead, passing it through the bluish part of the flame, near the face of the torch, a number of times.
Chrissi. ...what type of flame? Neutral?
Old 2012-01-04, 3:57pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Yep, neutral...just sort of waft it through.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-01-04, 4:59pm
Angie09

Quote:
Yep, neutral...just sort of waft it through.
Do you wait until it's totally cooled down?
Old 2012-01-04, 5:08pm
da General

I'd suggest multiple times through a light reduction flame. Also try, as Kathy suggested, putting the part you want reduced just barely in the bottom of the reducing flame so you have control of where you are reducing.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-01-04, 6:08pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Do you wait until it's totally cooled down?
good lord no, why?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-01-04, 7:09pm

Quote:
I thought the idea of charcoal turned out to not be helpful....do you use it?
No, I don't lose reduction in my kiln, so I haven't needed to try it. I did not ever see the part about it not helping - I have heard it so many times I just assumed it worked!

[ Hello Hayley!]
Old 2012-01-04, 7:52pm

Kathy, may I ask what kind of kiln you have that doesn't lose the reduction?

I'm looking to replace my current kilns (which lose the reduction if I leave triton beads in them for any length of time. (I tried charcoal, it didn't help)).

Thanks.
Mary

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2012-01-04, 8:00pm

I have a Jen Ken Chili Pepper, and a Paragon Bluebird XL. I use the Chili Pepper the most.
Old 2012-01-04, 8:30pm

Thanks for that!
Cheers
Mary

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2012-01-05, 6:10am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
good lord no, why?
I thought that was just a general rule for DH glass ... cool before reducing. Am I wrong????
Old 2012-01-05, 6:33am

Smile

I'm on a HH, so that will change my results vs. your results, but I do cool the bead for 5-8 second before I roll it through the flame. I seem to pick up more reduction this way. I roll it once, then take it out for a second and then roll it again just to pick up more of the finish.

But I'm just like you- I'll make 3 spacers just to get 2 that are reduced correctly. Hope this helps- it is frustrating for sure Laura

Old 2012-01-05, 6:42am
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
I thought that was just a general rule for DH glass ... cool before reducing. Am I wrong????
Not for all glass . Aurae and Triton can be reduced while they are still warm, but also reduce well when cold. They actually are the easiest glass to reduce imho .

Pictures of the beads that you consider un- or overreduced would help in helping you . I just quickly wave my beads a few times through a reducing flame and that does the trick for me.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2012-01-05, 7:15am
Rose colored glasses…√

My beads are typically smaller than average, so some cooling may occur between wafts through the flame. I basically twirl it through, hold it up and look at it, twirl it through, hold it up and look at it, lather, rinse, repeat until I have the look I want.

Old 2012-01-05, 9:15am
Back to 👊 1

Wink

Quote:
My beads are typically smaller than averag
Ya think?

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2012-01-05, 4:39pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
Pictures of the beads that you consider un- or overreduced would help in helping you . I just quickly wave my beads a few times through a reducing flame and that does the trick for me.
Thank you to everyone who has taken time to give me hints ... I really appreciate it. Here is a pic of one of the beads ... the circled area shows the kind of yellowish ugly finish I get often. I think it's from not reducing enough ... but I could be wrong!

Old 2012-01-05, 4:46pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
i get brilliant reduction and i dont conciously cool the bead, i usually work with really big and long focals so letting anything get even remotely cool is not on

Old 2012-01-05, 4:47pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who has taken time to give me hints ... I really appreciate it. Here is a pic of one of the beads ... the circled area shows the kind of yellowish ugly finish I get often. I think it's from not reducing enough ... but I could be wrong!

that looks more like over reduction to me

Old 2012-01-05, 8:41pm

If that is Triton, it definitely looks like over reduction. Under reducing leaves it blue.
Old 2012-01-06, 8:05am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
If that is Triton, it definitely looks like over reduction. Under reducing leaves it blue.
It's Aurae ... but I think you're still correct.
Old 2012-01-06, 8:12pm
Life is change. Love it

I wouldn't use Aurae if you want that mirror finish, I would use Triton.

Aurae is best for getting the amazing pinks and purples. I made these a gazillion years ago, and they were reduced after cooling way, way down, and then rolled in a reduction flame continually, in and out for a while.
Attached Images

Old 2012-01-07, 4:35am
Angie09

Wow. ...those are gorgeous!!! Guess I'll try that with the aurea instead. Thanks