Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-12-10, 10:12am

Default Pixel settings canon ps s315

Good am,Mr V has taken up photographing my beads and jewelry.pretty cool.His question is ,the pics are a little grainy more so when enlarged on the computer.Which pixel setting should be used ?
Thanks so much

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-12-11, 12:05pm

Hmmm,maybe I should elaborate.
Still images
L 2816x2112 pixels
M1 2272x1704 pxl
M2 1600x1200 pxl
S 640x480 pxl

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-12-12, 10:18am
Gentleman of Leisure

What I do (with my Sony DSLR) is shoot pictures in "RAW" format and reduce/crop picture down to size I need..... Reducing image is not as traumatic to image (grainy/pixilated) as trying to over enlarge them.... Get camera as close as possible/practical to "model" and shoot largest format camera is capable of .... Then reduce to "size"... IF camera has macro mode, you can use that, if not just shoot at minimum focal length....

"RAW" format is cameras best format for image capture, it is produces very LARGE pictures both in pixels (X,Y) and in color depth. It is maximum image capture, and is always easier to reduce to get desired size of final image than trying to enlarge a image that is to small to start with.... This is situation where to big (to much data) is better... Digital film is cheap, experiment a lot...

IF camera does not have a RAW mode, shoot in largest format possible (x,y) and with most color depth camera has.....In your case L 2816x2112 pixels is probably best format. Also what "compression" (JPG-GIF) camera saves image in will also effect image quality. Try to save image in least compression mode for initial image...

Lots of good photo "how to" tutorials on internet, I seem to remember a couple of good ones "here", you may want to look back over old postings...

Also the software you are using to enhance/crop images will have effect on final picture.... Software that comes with digital camera tend to be very limited in what they can do..... There is some free photo edit software like GIMP which is quite good or some commercially available software like Adobe Photo Elements 8 ( street priced around $79)... Another free one that is less exotic than GIMP is IRFANVIEW....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-12-12 at 10:35am.
Old 2009-12-12, 10:27am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Someone who is asking about pixel size, isn't going to know what RAW is. As well, unless you have a good editing software to adjust color levels and contrast etc... RAW will not produce the best colored images.

Set your camera to .jpg format, and choose the highest pixel setting. 2816x2112.

If your pictures are pixelated when you enlarge them, then you need to change your settings. If on the other hand they are 'grainy' (known as "noisy") then you dont have the proper lighting.

Last edited by MardiGrasGlass; 2009-12-12 at 10:32am.
Old 2009-12-14, 10:47pm

Thanks I appreciate the info.

karen
Volkano Exotik