LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-01, 10:30am
I'd rather be torching.

Default What can you do with Opalino White?

I have found about a pound of this glass. I rarely use opalino. So what is there to do with this white?

Please share! Thanks, Leigh

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.
Old 2010-06-01, 11:12am
sunscreen me baby

Throw it across the room

Sorry, couldn't resist. I am not an opalino fan and no longer own any at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-01, 11:15am
I'd rather be torching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Throw it across the room

Sorry, couldn't resist. I am not an opalino fan and no longer own any at all.
Yeah, but then I would have clean up the mess

~Twyla Tharp
Old 2010-06-01, 11:38am
Lampworkaholic!

It is pretty with certain frit, such as Bonfire which I think is Glass Diversions.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-06-01, 11:39am
It's all about the color.

LOL...my immediate thought was to RAOGK it.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-06-01, 3:01pm

Just don't encase it unless you make a core of clear, first... and then it is even MORE washed out! I had gotten some interesting effects in the old days by layering a light opalino or alabastro, thin, over a darker transparent color, then doing my flowers and then encasing. Makes a ghosty effect.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-06-01, 7:06pm

I only have made one set with this color. I thought that I had a picture of the beads by themselves, but I can't seem to find it, but I made this Logo with the beads. When I used it as a base, it bled over the dots and lines to form a dark line in the middle of the color (like rubino does). It also kept the EDP from spreading out and devitrifying.

When used as a stringer (green bead on the far left) it spread just a littlle and seemed to brighten the beads.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2010-06-12 at 8:21pm.
Old 2010-06-01, 7:16pm
Lampworkaholic!

Pretty!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-06-01, 9:11pm
Super Duper

Opalino white is just another color, use it if you want a translucent white.

It has a nice texture for sculpting but boils easily. I'm not a fan of the alabasters or opalinos.
Old 2010-06-01, 11:12pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I LOVE opalinos. Don't want yours send it to me. I like blending the colors together, or using stringers on it. I love the translucency of it. It can break if it is encased, and not compatible with some other colors. It can easily take on the soot from a reducing flame, but when it works I love it!!!!

I finally dusted off my alabaster glass after what, 13 years. I hated it back then because it boiled too easily. I made it work the other day, and ooooh, buttery. I sure love the colors too.

Old 2010-06-02, 4:39am
Glass-aholic

I LOVE THEM!!! they look so good with the luster powders and pixie dusts!!! SOOOOO GOOD! I also like to trail a little bit of transparent color on the surface and let it melt in. the full translucent against the opalino in a contrasting color is really pretty.. almost gives it a water look to it. i also love the alabasters!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-02, 5:01am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Some of the most beautiful beads I have ever made were opalino and frit beads. My favorite is the light turquoise.....I used alot of it when I was on my hothead. Now I just am careful to not boil the shizna out of it with my minor. I also place mine on a warmer before using. I honestly have never had a problem with it. And that says alot cuz I cant do anything difficult. Maybe because I just treated it like any other glass because I didnt know any better?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-06-02, 8:15am

Default Opalinos and Rocio

You guys/gals are missing out. Opalinos not only enhance effects, but they change reactions of reactive colors. Rocio did a whole ebook on it.

Old 2010-06-02, 8:51am
I'd rather be torching.

Sure tempt me with yet another e-book

Well, this is inspiring! I will have to pick this book up.

Thank you guys for all your input.

~Twyla Tharp
Old 2010-06-02, 8:55am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Off to check out that e-book.

Old 2010-06-03, 5:58am

one more
Old 2010-06-03, 8:40am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio View Post

one more
Omg, that's a gorgeous bead! what's the base color, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 2010-06-03, 1:12pm
Fire Monkey

Try using it to encase a deeper color rod and pull stringers.
They are very "soft" looking and quite pretty.

Old 2010-06-04, 3:02am

Use it for very short garden stakes?

Old 2010-06-04, 11:56am

I have used it for part of the sky in landscape beads.
Old 2010-06-05, 1:57am
one day at a time

Wow, I never knew it could be a fantastic base for enamels!

I was going to suggest using fine #00 or #0 furnace glass frit in transparent colors on it, and you shouldn't have any compatiblity problems. Just don't encase it.
Old 2010-06-05, 5:29am
Unmedicated since '62

i have HEAPS of opalino - i accidently ordered the wrong stock number. i think i have it in about 10 colours plus lots of white and a nice striking pink. i put it away cos everybody told me i would have trouble using it as a newbie

now i think i'll try it with reactives

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-05, 6:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
Use it for very short garden stakes?

Bwahaha!!!

Old 2010-06-05, 8:58am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i have HEAPS of opalino - i accidently ordered the wrong stock number. i think i have it in about 10 colours plus lots of white and a nice striking pink. i put it away cos everybody told me i would have trouble using it as a newbie

now i think i'll try it with reactives
Oh, Deb! I love, love, love opalino and never had a problem with it as a newbie! Striking pink and carnelian are my fav's, but then I just love to coax the color out of them. When I make boring opalino spacers with pink, carnelian, nile green, white, etc., people say it looks edible, like candy! I've ordered my fav colors by the pound!
Old 2010-06-06, 6:38am
Glass-aholic

Carnelian and terra!! oooohhh sooo pretty!! (i used terra frit)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-06, 6:51am
sunscreen me baby

Oh great. I practically gave 10 or so pounds away a couple years ago. Figures

~

Old 2010-06-06, 8:43am
Rose colored glasses…√

I need to dig mine out again. I haven't played with it since I was brand new at the torch. I wouldn't have thought about silver glass with 'em. These are from forever ago. They aren't etched. I love the luminous quality of this glass.
Attached Images

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-06-12, 8:00pm
Leda

Chrissi,

Beautiful beads! What colors did you use for the flower petals? Were there two colors; and what type of glass?

Thx!

Leda
Old 2010-06-12, 8:02pm
Leda

Holly,

What colors would you suggest using together? And do you mean encase with the opalino? (The opalino on the outside of cane?)

Thx!

Leda
Old 2010-06-13, 12:12am
Unmedicated since '62

i made some pandora beads when i first started with opalino - they're really pretty- all the pastels in this shot are encased opalino

then somone told me it couldnt be encased - seemed fine to me
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy