No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-07, 9:10am
Student!

Question glass glue?

I am making these ornaments for my family and my skill level requires 3 beads to make them. Since I would prefer buttons and not black bunny tails, do any of you know of a glue that I could use to set these beads to stay where I want them?

Thanks!

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2012-12-07, 9:34am
I'm meeeeelting

I'd say 2 part epoxy may be your best shot if you're insistent on glue, but I think you can get these looking more button-like the way you're making them. When you get the dots to the stage they're at or even a bit less melted in than that, take a flat tool (the side of a butter knife or chisel shaped x-acto would work well for this), give the raised dot a little heat and then flatten the dot a bit with the flat side of the blade. Leave it raised but with a flat, instead of rounded surface. Gently heat to remove the chill mark. You may have to do it a couple of times to get it to keep that shape minus chill marks.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-07, 9:39am
Student!

Felicia, thanks for the tip on the buttons. I will give it a try.

But these are actually 3 beads stacked together that I am looking to lock in place. Right now the middle and bottom beads spin a lot and I really want to just hold them in place.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2012-12-07, 10:01am
Loving learning

Ahhh, I was confused too, now I get it.
I've heard there is some very thin tubing you can put inside the beads too so the wire fits tighter, but I've never bought any to try it.
I agree that the 2 part epoxy should work great, & for such a low stress use even a tube of Goop might do the trick.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:37am
New-old member

The best glass glue, IMO, is a UV cured epoxy, Loctite 349 or 363. It's kind of pricey, but it literally bonds glass to glass better than glass bonds to itself. It may not be best for this application as it works best with transparents and needs a good solid glass to glass contact point.
Otherwise, 2 part epoxy or even a dab of silicone will work just fine! Try to find an epoxy that dries clear or white though, some of them end up grey and yucky.

Furnace worker melting boro on a Redmax with tanked oxy.
Old 2012-12-07, 11:48am

E6000

Barbara
Old 2012-12-07, 2:01pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
E6000
This!
Old 2012-12-07, 2:17pm
Student!

thanks guys...on my way to the store to get some.

I appreciate the help!

Old 2012-12-07, 2:57pm

E-6000. You can buy it at walmart or many other places, it's cheap and it's good. Apply, let sit for ten minutes, press on beads then don't touch for 24, preferably 48 hours and your done. All the products mentioned above are great,they cost more and in most cases you can't find them locally so you have to pay shipping.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-07, 7:40pm
Student!

Bob, thank you for some guidance. I found the E6000 at Michaels but I was struggling to get it to work. I guess a little patience might go a long way here, but...never really been good at that.

we'll see how stuck it is tomorrow!

Old 2012-12-07, 8:02pm

For sure E6000 is good but I also use a lot of "Goop". That's the brand. Can get at any lowes , home depot , etc. there are a few different goops but the "Household" one works great
Old 2012-12-08, 9:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh View Post
Bob, thank you for some guidance. I found the E6000 at Michaels but I was struggling to get it to work. I guess a little patience might go a long way here, but...never really been good at that.

we'll see how stuck it is tomorrow!
Cheryl, don't apply to much use the end of a toothpick, it does not take much.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-08, 11:29am

I li ke Welbond better than great Glue
Old 2012-12-08, 12:08pm

I usually stick my completely glued pieces into a warm oven - 200 DF - for an hour or so when I use E6000.

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-12-08, 12:23pm
Student!

I'm still waiting for my 24 hours to be up but it seems good so far. (Gonna go make more snowman parts to distract myself!)

Bob, I did use a toothpick because I really don't want to use much. I just don;t want his spots to move.

Would sticking it in the oven speed up the process?

Thanks everyone!

Old 2012-12-08, 9:43pm

Well, this is pretty low-tech, but so is your problem; you just need to make the head pin big enough to keep the beads from spinning. Tacky glue would work well for this, fill the gap, dry fast, and no fumes.
Old 2012-12-09, 4:40pm
Student!

Thanks everyone. I used some e6000 and it worked great! I'm actually running ribbon up the middle so gluing it to the beads wouldn't work and heavy wire would have limited my options for completing the ornaments. (My wire skills are still in development!)

Thanks for all of the advice!