Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-21, 4:31am
Glass-aholic

Its same principle as the tornado beads. You create space in the center of the bead by layering either stripes of glass or dots and building on them. Glass will naturally pull towards center, SO if you create a short cylinder to start and start like you are making a star bead, but use striped instead of dots, poke the air bubble as in the pic if desired, and layer up your "dot/line" until you have created the ridges, and then encase w/o encasing the ends you SHOULD have something close to this shape. a little toying and bam The splatted look thin center should come from melting in the clear. You may have to marver it a little to push out the shape if desired before you totally build up the clear layers. I am just guessing here, I know I have made similar beads.

PS sorry about the rant, not directed to anyone in particular, I am just fed up with things not being as easy as they used to be. We all used to ask how to make beads that look like ____________ beads and it was never an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2010-05-21 at 4:34am.
Old 2010-05-21, 9:09am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansu View Post
I tried same as you said but in the middle of the bead looks fat after put dots on cells and put clear over on each cell.
Actually I'm curious about how can she makes the cells looked splayed and center of the bead looks thin as in the picture?

cansu
Do you have the book Passing the Flame? If so, everything you need to know is in that book. If you have it, I'll give you the page numbers.

Old 2010-05-21, 10:17am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

My .02 - I definitely agree with sharing the info - I do a ton of research on beads and search the web and other venues relentlessly. The early conclusion that I came to which has been reinforced over and over again is that NONE of the beads ANY of us make are completely new. Every time I have thought that I have seen a brand new technique, invariably a few days, weeks, or months later I will come across something similar (either in whole or in part) that was made eons before the bead I thought was completely unique. What is unique is what the individual artist does with these ancient techniques. Both tutorials and free discussion further enhance this process. IMHO it is a complete waste of time (that could be spent creating) to argue about who did something first.....mostly because whomever really did do it first has been long dead. If you don't believe me - do some intensive research on the history of both beads and glass in general (not to mention other crafts whose techniques can be easily adapted to glass design). Design itself is as old as mankind and although the permutations of those designs might seem endless - they are, in fact, finite by definition. OK - done here.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-05-21, 11:50am

Thanks jaci, the key word in your explanation is mervering I think
I spend my whole weekend to handle this out))
By the way Amy I have passing the flame. Can I get the page numbers please
Old 2010-05-21, 12:02pm
Storm Queen

You can do a poked and encased striped bead. I'd show you a picture but I haven't done one in years. In Passing the Flame you would be combining the Rainbow Bead pages 76/77 but you don't need to get fancy and use two different color transparents, and the Poked Dot Bead pages 83-87. Like I said, I made these years and years ago along with a few other thousand lampwork artists so it's nothing proprietary.

Old 2010-05-24, 10:35am
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoglass View Post
I remember the days when beadmakers shared freely. That's how most of us learned.
Oh yes, the good ol' caveman days

Sara

Old 2010-05-25, 8:30am
Katherine

I have the above suggested "The little booklet by Jim Kervin on Smircich's techniques show how he does the apple cores" and it is great. Lots of pictures.

Old 2010-05-26, 7:32am
Glass-aholic

hey.. any luck yet on the apple core process??? have you got it?? pic's of trial and error??

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-05-27, 6:40am
Pincel de Fuego

pictures?
Old 2010-05-29, 7:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Jim Smircich originally did the apple core bead and he gives a clue here:

http://www.smircich.com/html/separation_line.html

The little booklet by Jim Kervin on Smircich's techniques show how he does the apple cores - his are bicones but the idea is the same.
YES! that's what I was going to say. Jimmy's been doing that since the late 1980s or early '90s. I suspect that Lillian's bead is her progression from Smircich's technique? So perhaps Cansu can go in a new and different direction with the apple core by going back to the original source? (Sorry, haven't read any further, because what Swamper said is what I was thinking all along...)

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-06-01, 3:29pm
LilianaBead

Smile

Hi
I'm flattered to be the subject of a very interesting thread.

I do have a tutorial describing both verbally and visually how I make my version of an Apple Core bead. If you'd like to learn more about how I came to the version in the tutorial, please stop by my blog
http://lilianabead.blogspot.com/2009...-while-im.html
I posted this entry as I was getting ready to write this tutorial.

I took a class with Jim and loved every minute of it.
Jim developed the technique behind the Apple Core and I've enjoyed seeing other interpretations of the Apple Core done by other artists.

I love writing tutorials - Hey, I'm a teacher
I'm also a professional studio artisan and the fees cover production costs.

Good melting and creating to all of you,
Liliana
Old 2010-06-01, 5:01pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I never heard of an apple core bead before, but last week as I was making a batch of barrel beads I pressed down way too hard on the clear that I had wrapped around the center of the barrel bead and I wound up pushing the clear down so much in the center of the bead that it pushed the color to the sides. When it came out of the kiln it looked just like an apple core. I was thinking that if I did a barrel bead with a yellow or ivory center and red ends and forced too much clear into the center while covering the whole bead with clear, I'd probably get a bead that really looked like an apple core.