Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-09-03, 5:48pm

Default Propane Canisters with a Hot Head

Still relatively new to lampworking and using a hot head, (I'm sure like many others here), I was sorely disappointed to see my MAPP gas is no longer available at my local hardware store. I'm using the little canisters and I've read some threads about Map/Pro and the learning curve required to master it... but I'm curious if I could try Propane canisters. Is Propane safe to use with a hot head? Will I get the similar results with either?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2008-09-03, 5:57pm
addicted to dichro

Propane is just as safe to use with your hothead as MAPP. The only issue is that typically the propane that comes in those small 1 pound tanks is dirty and your beads might look duller and sooty. That was my experience when I tried it 4 years ago, but it's worth trying out for yourself. I use bulk propane without a problem, but some people also find the bulk sooty. I think it actually depends on the propane the tanks are filled with. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-03, 6:38pm

thanks! I'll give it a go... can't hurt, right?!
Old 2008-09-26, 7:40pm
Back to 👊 1

I was going to ask that same question and you answered it, thank you! Now, is it when you move up to a "real torch" where you need to think about the oxy and such? When do you add,(iffinz it needs), the oxygen part of the picture? Thnx G
Old 2008-09-26, 9:33pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You need to find best spot in flame when using propane... Different fuels have different burn characteristics. Finding best spot (sweet spot) in flame is challenge... The sweet spot is where fuel/air combustion is most complete and will be least dirtiest spot in flame...

People claim propane is dirty but I have used #1 canisters and #20 bulk tanks and have always found that getting flame adjusted properly (not always full on) getting distance right from end of torch body is good cure for most cases of "dirty propane"..

Temperature wise there is not much difference in propane or propylene or map-pro... Its all in flame adjustment and location in flame...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-28, 9:08am

Hello -
Being very new to the whole lampwork experience, I have a question about my hothead torch. I am using the 1# tanks of propane. Today, for the first time, the flame started shooting out of the larger air holes below the actual torch head. Is the tank too low in fuel or is there something wrong with my torch?
Also - where do we dispose of the tanks? Are you taking them to a recycling place or a waste management facility?
Any/all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 2008-09-28, 10:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

Don't have concise answer to flames shooting out of air holes... Might be dirty torch, or tank almost empty....

As for disposal of tanks, the should be totally empty, and you can just toss them in regular trash in most places, other have found that even recyclers balk at taking them...

But the key here is "totally" empty they are quite safe to dispose of in any sane manner.... If tank is so low it will not "fire torch" any more, take it outside with torch head connected and set it in open space (best in slight breeze to dissipate gas) and open valve on tank and let it empty on its own (no flame) when any hissing stops tank is EMPTY and safe for any type of disposal...

Dale

Old 2008-10-01, 8:24pm

Default Mapp gas use with hot head

I have been using mapp gas and was informed by my company where I purchase it that only the name will be changed (but they couldn't tell me what it will be) I am having a problem with my Hot Head..not enough gas is getting thru.. has anyone ever had this problem before.. do I just purchase another hot head or try & fix it.. also should I upgrade to a bench burner..also
if I do upgrade do you keep the tanks of propane & oxygen in the house (my husband would be very opposed to this idea!!)
Thanks for any help
Old 2008-10-02, 8:29am
Gentleman of Leisure

MAPP was a Methyl Acetylene-Propane mix....

MAP-PRO is totally different fuel, it is Propylene.

If you are having problem with hot head, maybe its time to move on.... IF you are serious about glass, better torch can be very rewarding....

Dale

Old 2008-10-19, 10:17pm

Unhappy

I have been using Mapp gas and learned that the new Mapp-Pro is not the same after a session of burnt beads. Long story short, I think I've decided to switch to propylene. However, I am now concerned, after reading Dale's post that Mapp-Pro is propylene! I am also convinced that I need to drill a hole in my house to put the tank outside. If Mapp-Pro is propylene, am I going to have the same burnt bead problem and a hole in my hose to boot? HELP
Old 2008-10-21, 10:03am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLauck View Post
Hello -
Being very new to the whole lampwork experience, I have a question about my hothead torch. I am using the 1# tanks of propane. Today, for the first time, the flame started shooting out of the larger air holes below the actual torch head. Is the tank too low in fuel or is there something wrong with my torch?
Also - where do we dispose of the tanks? Are you taking them to a recycling place or a waste management facility?
Any/all help is greatly appreciated.
re shooting flames: i had that happen to me once - scared the pants out of me too! check to make sure your torch head is firmly tightened onto the neck. since i re-tightened the torch head it's never happened again and now i make sure to check each time before i light it.

recycling: check yr municipal website for the free hazardous waste depot days. I just collect the empty cans and then drop them off for free on those days. for more frequent drop offs just look for a hazardous waste supplier who will accept them - you may have to pay though.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-11-09, 8:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
You need to find best spot in flame when using propane... Different fuels have different burn characteristics. Finding best spot (sweet spot) in flame is challenge... The sweet spot is where fuel/air combustion is most complete and will be least dirtiest spot in flame...

People claim propane is dirty but I have used #1 canisters and #20 bulk tanks and have always found that getting flame adjusted properly (not always full on) getting distance right from end of torch body is good cure for most cases of "dirty propane"..

Temperature wise there is not much difference in propane or propylene or map-pro... Its all in flame adjustment and location in flame...

Dale
What Dale said. Once you find the "sweet spot" & get the torch adjusted right, your beads shouldn't be sooty & you shouldn't burn your glass when using propane. (if you're burning it, slow down--it's not a flame thrower, & it's a SLOW torch, you can't melt stuff fast with it, you'll just burn/soot the glass, that's just the way it is!)

and NO PROPANE, for ANY TORCH (no matter WHAT type) belongs in the house if it's over a 1 pound tank!!!
Hoses can run through windows/doors & disconnect when you're done each session(some folks do that) or through a hard-piped & specially installed hole in the wall, or whatever, but NO BIG TANKS IN THE HOUSE!!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies