Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-06-28, 8:15am
Certified Thread Killer

Default How Well Does a Mega Minor Perform on a 5LPM Oxycon?

I currently run a Mega Minor on tanked oxy…

I want nothing more out of life than a Regalia that delivers 10LPM, but it isn't in the cards for me at the moment. The local tanked oxy supplier may or may not have cylinders in stock for me to trade and it takes days to get them filled. Not good when I have an order.

I need an oxycon, any oxycon, a.s.a.p.

There are so many almost name-your-price oxycons available in the local classifieds and they are all 5LMP machines.

Will a 5 work adequately with a Mega Minor and propane?

The vast majority of my work is under one inch thick at any point.

I always use 104 glass, although I Lauscha but sometimes the rods are kinda beefy.

Are there any particular "brands" to avoid, are some easier to set up than others?

Can't wait to get a ready-to-use Regalia 10, I'll start rolling my dimes starting now…
Old 2010-06-28, 8:31am
PyronamixK

Here are the flame measurements of a Mega Minor on a properly reconditioned 5 LPM machine in good working order:

Nortel Mega Minor
candle length: 0.350”
shoulder width: 0.850”
flame length: 10”

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107834

If that is about the size of the flame you're used to working with, then you might like a 5 LPM machine.

As far as what brands, my favorite is the Invacare. AirSep and DeVilbiss are good, too. Respironics are quiet, but they're not as good as the Invacares, IMHO. Healthdyene machines were good machines, but they are no longer being made (I think Respironics bought them out). So, if you see a Healthdyne machine, it is probably pretty old. If you're buying them from the classified ads, then be sure to pay attention to the hours on the machine.

On a properly reconditioned machine, hours are not so important because everything has been repaired or replaced and it's like resetting the clock. But, on a machine that has not been reconditioned, you will want to get low hours - because over time, machines need maintenance. You also have no guarantee that the machine was run properly before or has been stored properly. So, just be aware that you could get it and even with low hours, it may or may not put out good purity and it may be in need of some servicing.
Old 2010-06-28, 8:53am
Certified Thread Killer

Thanks, Kimberly.

I apologize if all of my questions have been answered elsewhere in the forums. I have spent way too much time searching for the answers and I am quite good at ferreting out information that I need. I hate being a noob with questions that have answers easily found with a simple search.

At least I have a good start.

I am used to working with a smaller flame because I try to eke as much oxygen use from every tank as I can. Looks like one of my concerns has been addressed. On to the next.

There is a local well-maintained "Invacare 5 with Senso 2" that has "27,503 hours and works perfectly".

I don't know what would constitute "high hours", but I don't mind if the oxycon eventually dies. I would prefer to use it "to the death" because I have a hard time getting rid of something "perfectly good and still working" even if I am no longer using it.
Old 2010-06-28, 9:11am
Salt Box Beads

I have the DeVilbiss and first time I hooked up the Mega to it I burned through three mandrels! I was chasing the glass around for the first 30 mins or so until I got used to it.

I also did a few small boro spacers just to see how hot it really was. Boro spacers turned out fine. It's plenty hot on the 5lpm Dev.

Lorraine
Old 2010-06-28, 2:43pm
Alaska Boro

From the archives of LE.... Concerning the question about the number of hours on a concentrator from post #3.

"Justin L
2005-11-10, 3:49pm
There are a wide range of concentrators out there. Heres is a quick shakedown of what you may be able to buy:

Assuming all concentrators are rebuilt properly:

-Airsep Newlife: Last about 12k hours, no real filters to keep contaminants out of the system. Sieve beds tend to get contaminated easily from lack of filters, and will harm purity in the higher flow rates. Should put out about 8-9psi which is good. Pretty noisy valves as they age. If you get a relatively "new" Newlife, they seem to be quieter.

-Invacare Mobilaire 5: Last between 20-25k hours. Many many HEPA filters to keep the system very clean. Sieve beds are very very resilient and hardly ever go bad. Put out mid 90% o2 at all flow rates for a very long time. Factory PSI is 5 or 6. Quiet machine.

-Healthdyne Alliance: Lasts about 20k hours also. Good filtration. Sieve beds are very resilient. WHISPER quiet! 96% purity at 5LPM is very common. Factory is 5 or 6 psi.

-Devilbiss MC-Series; Solairis 505/515- Last about 20k hours also. Great filtration, pretty quiet. Good purity. These machines chug along at 8-9PSI from the factory with no problems whatsoever.

Respironics Millenium: When you get one that works, they are good...for about only 8k hours. "Fewer moving parts" doesnt always mean reliability. There is a reason they are on ebay for $100 AS IS. They are pretty quiet. 6PSI output pressure."
Old 2010-06-28, 3:47pm
Gonna get blow'd up!

I have a mega minor on a Invacare Mobilaire 5, it does what I need it to...but I only make beads, pendants, etc in 104coe. It can go hotter...way hotter on the 5 lpm than how I normally have the flame...but I'm scared of fire ;D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-29, 6:29am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

27,503 hours is too high. There are many oxycons out there with less than 2000 hours and inexpensive, if you are patient and dilligent.
Old 2010-06-29, 10:00am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
27,503 hours is too high. There are many oxycons out there with less than 2000 hours and inexpensive, if you are patient and dilligent.
I am being patient and diligent…LOL!
If I am patient and diligent enough, I will have enough saved up for a really good guaranteed one!

Thanks, everyone, I am keeping this thread open in my browser to refer back to whenever I see a "good deal" in the local classifieds.
Old 2010-06-29, 6:44pm
Salt Box Beads

I would NEVER buy a used non refurbished machine. These are medical concentrators used for people that could have been very ill. ( unless they are sold as new scratch and dents etc,) I was in home health care for years and a lot of the people using these had disease. Aids, TB, Hepatitis etc

A medical concentrator that has not been refurbished and is for sale in the paper or on Craigslist probably has not been cleaned..YUCK!!!!

I cleaned one regularly for a client and it was filthy!! He had emphysema. I would pay a hundred or so dollars more to our vendors and give them my business and have peace of mind at the same time with guarentees.

I am not saying you can get disease but I am saying they could be NASTY if they have not been refurbished and totally cleaned. I personally would not go near a used one that has not been completely refurbished. JMHO
Old 2010-06-29, 8:06pm
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post

I am not saying you can get disease but I am saying they could be NASTY if they have not been refurbished and totally cleaned. I personally would not go near a used one that has not been completely refurbished. JMHO
Ewww…see? I would never have known these things if I hadn't asked the question. Looks like lots of things to consider.

Just say "no" to someone else's boogers.
Old 2010-07-03, 12:51pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Uh, one note I'd like to add... if you DO end up getting one out of the newspaper, make sure you have them demo the machine for 20 min before you take it. It takes them a while to warm up and build up maximum oxy output. Also, if there's a problem with the machine, it will likely show itself during that 20 min!

Also, if you find that one isn't quite enough, 2 machines hooked up together with "T" hose give me more oxy than I need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-08-11, 2:18pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i have the Mega with a refurb 5lpm Devilbiss concentrator. it's plenty hot. I work fairly large (usually at least 2-3" long and up to 2" thick) and i can work my pieces no issues plus it gives of lots of radiant heat so great for sculpting.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2010-08-11, 2:40pm
Entropy increasing....

I am running mine on a 10ml and I don't know the brand, but I run it at 6ml.
Old 2010-11-16, 11:57pm
Certified Thread Killer

Talking

So I've stopped looking in the local classifieds for my new oxycon. I have pretty much decided I want a good refurbished unit with a warranty. I'll pay a little extra for something I can trust and I know is set up and basically ready-to-use.

It's down to a Respironics M-15 from Jack
or
The Invacare 5LX from Kimberly

Hmmm…guess I had better check on the availability and/or build-times. The tanked oxy prices here are outrageous! I've gone from $15 per canister refill (if they have any to swap out) to almost $25. I OWN the tanks! There is a $4.50 "documentation fee" for every time the tanks are filled. Ridiculous…and frustrating at the very least.

The BigAl has laid down the rule for me "no more tanked oxygen"! Unless, of course the build times are way out…then I'll have to refill again, won't I? That would be bye-bye to another $75!

*sigh*

Bored without oxygen