Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-01-06, 3:38pm
Beadmaking.nl

Question Question for the experts: Which Torch?

Please can I get some advise from the profi's?

I have and use a conkinect Torch, which burns on only Propane. One of the reasons I choose this one was because of it would be dangerous to have Oxigen at home and the torch is easy to make it stand the way you want.

But I find that it makes so much noise and my clear is not really clear. It has stripes in it.

Question 1: Is a torch which burns on oxygen better?
Question 2: What about the noise?
Question 3: What about safety?
Question 4: What about the stripes in clear?

Thanks for helping this newbie
Old 2006-01-06, 5:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl
Please can I get some advise from the profi's?

I have and use a conkinect Torch, which burns on only Propane. One of the reasons I choose this one was because of it would be dangerous to have Oxigen at home and the torch is easy to make it stand the way you want.

But I find that it makes so much noise and my clear is not really clear. It has stripes in it.

Question 1: Is a torch which burns on oxygen better?
Question 2: What about the noise?
Question 3: What about safety?
Question 4: What about the stripes in clear?

Thanks for helping this newbie

A fuel /oxygen torch is worlds above the fuel/ air torch... Its beyond "better"....

A torch that burns oxygen and fuel (propane or natural gas) will burn hotter than the fuel-air torch you have now.

It will burn quieter that torch you have now.

Oxygen IS NOT dangerous by its self. PROPANE IS DANGEROUS... Only thing oxygen does is act as a oxidizer for fuel. It is not explosive. It only causes a fuel to burn faster and hotter over air acting as a oxidizer.

Stripes in clear is probably carbon or soot from your present torch. Your torch maybe too fuel rich or you are working to close "in" in flame where fuel is not completely burned and sooting up your glass. Try moving further out in flame (away for torch head) a bit where combustion in more complete.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-01-06 at 9:27pm.
Old 2006-01-06, 5:48pm
boro color bender

Yeah, what Dale said. You will be much happier with a Minor, Piranha or similar torch.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-07, 3:13am
Viking Flame Keeper

Do you ever do any business with StipGlas in Tilburg? They are the guys who developed the Conkinect torch.
Anyway, they have a studio with Minor Burners so if you ever head down that way give them a call and ask if you can try one of them out.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-01-07, 10:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikki
Do you ever do any business with StipGlas in Tilburg? They are the guys who developed the Conkinect torch.
Anyway, they have a studio with Minor Burners so if you ever head down that way give them a call and ask if you can try one of them out.
Actually I think the Conkinect torch is the HOTHEAD (in USA) on custom mount....

IF this picture is correct....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-07, 12:38pm
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Actually I think the Conkinect torch is the HOTHEAD (in USA) on custom mount....

IF this picture is correct....

Dale
Jan-Hein at StipGlas is the one who developed the custom mount.

Thanks Dale for pointing out my error, I should have been clearer.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-01-08, 10:38am
Beadmaking.nl

Dale, thanks a lot for the clear explanation. I understand it totally.
Kikki, thanks for the tip!
Old 2006-01-08, 3:50pm
Insane? You're Insane!

I just switched from a propane only torch to a minor..........and WOW what a difference. I cannont even begin to tell you how much better it is. I can make beads as fast as I can think of them. No more waiting for the glass to get hot. Now it's trying to catch the drip! I've had the minor for a week and a half and have made more beads than in the last year. I need more glass! It was well worth the money spent. Don't forget you'll have to have regulators and hoses. That adds cost, but most places sell them in kits. I am able to rent my O2 tank for $5 a month. It cost $20 to fill it. I hope some of this helps.
amber
Old 2006-01-08, 3:59pm

Amber,

I'm curious about how long a tank of oxygen is lasting you in hours of use. And what size tank?

Thanks,

Wonker
Old 2006-01-08, 4:21pm
Insane? You're Insane!

well,
My husband went a picked it all up for me so I'm not sure how much it holds, but it is about five feet tall and as big around as a two liter bottle of pepsi! It has lasted for at least 15 hours of use so far. I don't know how much to expect. I can tell you this, that sucker is HEAVY! I helped lug in the house and if the excitement of getting had wornoff I might not have gotten it up the three steps to the door! I let you know whn I run out.
Amber
Old 2006-01-11, 1:40am
Beadmaking.nl

Amber,

Thank you so much for your message. I saw the DVD of James Smircich and was wondering how quickly his glass melt and so little noise the torch made.

So that made me asking if I should sell the conkinect and buy a Minor.
But I did also heard about that it was dangerous about having oxigen at home, but Dale told it was the propane with was dangerous.

Well, I have a propane bottle in my studio, that's allowed in the Netherlands, but when it burns it will burns a lot faster with the oxigen.

How about a oxigen-generator? Less dangerous?
Old 2006-01-11, 5:33am
boro color bender

If you've got propane inside, the least of your worries should be the oxygen. Get the propane outside and the oxygen will be a safe thing to store inside. If you have tanks, secure them with a chain or straps, so it can't fall over.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-11, 12:16pm

Smircich now uses nothing but a Mini CC...Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-01-11, 2:30pm
Beadmaking.nl

What's that? A mini cooper?