Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2007-03-01, 6:44am

Default cheapest place to get an oxy con?

I am researching the oxy con/generators. Ebays rough because most get pulled due to lack of correct description. Does anyone know where to go to get the cheapest. I will be eventually running a barracuda on it and know that I will end up getting two. Any info would be great. thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-05, 6:09am

concentrators are no longer to be sold on ebay period. Finding a cheap deal now may be tough. You can search the search engines, and pay attention to the "sponsored links" on the top and right side of the search pages. Sometimes you can find a deal.

I currently have a special going on, as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-05, 7:18am

You might want to check out this thread about Hobbies for Us:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46640
You can get a good deal with a 1 year warranty from them. On the other hand, for a bit more you can get a concentrator with a 5 year warranty from Justin (above) or Kimberly (www.pyronamix.com).

Last edited by Judi_B; 2007-03-05 at 7:27am.
Old 2007-03-05, 7:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
concentrators are no longer to be sold on ebay period. Finding a cheap deal now may be tough. You can search the search engines, and pay attention to the "sponsored links" on the top and right side of the search pages. Sometimes you can find a deal.

I currently have a special going on, as well.
What happen, did ebay make a policy change?

Justin, what kind of deals you got right now?
Old 2007-03-05, 7:37am

ebay made a huge policy change, and concentrators/apparatus are no longer allowed.

I currently have the Devilbiss MC 44-90 5LPM/9PSI concentrator. $370 shipped/lower US with my 5 year warranty included.

I also have some Solairis 505 5LPM/9PSI concentrators for $485 shipped to the lower US. 5 year warranty on this machine also.

Old 2007-03-05, 11:38am
ManBearPig

Buy one from Justin. You won't be disappointed.

I have two (DevilBiss machines), and I have sent at least a dozen of my customers there. They know their stuff.

Old 2007-03-05, 11:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Search E-Bay for Oxygen GENERATOR.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-03-05, 12:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Search E-Bay for Oxygen GENERATOR.....

Dale
They will be pulling them soon if they havent already. Ive already tried that.

Even selling OGSI Generators which are not FDA approved/used for medical reasons, is not allowed

Old 2007-03-05, 12:24pm

Oh yeah! They certainly have been pulling them left and right. Over a 2 week period I have been watching some that were listed under concentrator and under generator some listed for non medical use hobbies only and ever darn one of them were pulled. Something like 30 in the 2 weeks. It can be very frustrating. Some of the sellers moved theirs to Yahoo auctions but, I just don't feel real comfortable about going that route. I understand some of the rules that have ebay pulling items but, is there a danger with these that I do not know about. I understand that for medical use you must have a prescription but, jeeze they make it hard to do anything now a days.

Old 2007-03-05, 12:26pm
ManBearPig

Not really hard at all. Just go to someone reputable and buy one (i.e. Oxygen Plus Medical). That way if you ever have a problem, you don't have any problem getting in touch with them to get it fixed.

Oh, and before anyone asks... No, I don't work for Oxygen Plus, and I don't get any kickback from them when they sell concentrators. I just think they offer a great product, and they stand behind it.

Old 2007-03-05, 12:27pm

I bought mine through www.hobbiesforus.com
I had excellent service from them and my concentrator is still tickin away. I would think that due to loosing sales from ebay the sellers would want to lower their website prices comparable to the ebay prices.

Old 2007-03-05, 12:30pm

Okay so what does one need to hook up one to two concentrators to the torch? thanks, leigh

Old 2007-03-05, 12:58pm
ManBearPig

If it's one concentrator, you just need the hose you normally use. You don't need a regulator, though. Just screw the hose to the output of the concentrator. If you want to connect two concentrators, you just need a Y connector. Whoever you get your concentrators from should be able to supply you with one.

Old 2007-03-16, 6:24am
Bead Maker / Instructor

I suppose this question has been asked and answered multiple time but I'm forging ahead and asking anyway.

What is the difference between an oxygen concentrator and an oxygen generator?
I am VERY interested in freeing myself from the albatross that is the expensive oxygen tank. (€65 for the largest tank in Florence, Italy - about $87!! and I use a tank a week) However, after communicating with a number of companies and reading endless threads, I still have no idea which is the best route to take. We even bought one in Switzerland and had to send it back because it was way too weak for any kind of serious beadmaking.

I work full-time making (soft glass) beads and am looking for a second bead maker. That means we need an oxygen concentrator/generator that can generate enough juice for at least one-and-a-half full-time beadmakers. Does such a machine exist?

If any companies see this and reply, please keep in mind that we are in Europe. The machine would need to be usable in Italy and I would need to have some idea of shipping costs.

Thanks for any suggestions - I would LOVE to get this cleared up.
Tim
Old 2007-03-16, 10:38am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltDown View Post
...What is the difference between an oxygen concentrator and an oxygen generator?

....we need an oxygen concentrator/generator that can generate enough juice for at least one-and-a-half full-time beadmakers. Does such a machine exist?
Concentrator is a word used to refer to the lower output machines, e.g., generally less than 10 LPM; Generators is a word used to refer to the higher output machines, generally more than 10 LPM. It's just words... they are all oxycons... the all get the oxygen by extracting it from the air. Really, really big generators are used to fill oxy tanks, when liquid oxygen is not avialable.

Enough juice depends primarily on the torch you are using and how hard you run the torch. For example... a Piranha will run 100% of capability with one 5 LPM oxycon - and you live with about 5kBTU heat. Want more heat... use bigger torch... use more fuel, more oxygen, e.g., a Barracuda will give you 20kBTU at 100%... but you need to feed it 20 LPM oxygen to do that. See the relation? Torch ~ fuel/oxygen ~ heat... either the torch limits you... or the oxygen limits you. With a tank, oxygen is unlimited (until it goes empty ).

Take your oxygen tank size in liters of oxygen. Divide that by how many minutes it lasts you. "A tank a week" won't cut it... exactly how many hours is that -- more precisely how many liters do you use per minute. You must know that number. That's how many liters per minute you need from an oxycon... at a minimum. A oxycon is not 99.9% pure oxygen...it's 90-95% pure...so add 10% to your LPM number to compensate. Then... look for a oxycon that can give you that much juice. It may be a concentrator or a generator.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-03-16 at 1:22pm.
Old 2007-03-25, 7:59am

I'll put $ on it that any on ebay that are getting pulled are getting reported by some one that sells them. no ifs ands or butts about it.

Ebay does not pull any thing thats in violation of any policy on there own. They require the dirty scum bag nark system to sdtay on top of stuff like that, and like most ebay auctions that get reported they get reported by someone that has a vested intrest in seeing there compatishin snuffed.

Ebay does not just search or look for items that are not supposed to be there. They even say so in there TOS policy.
Old 2007-03-25, 9:58am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutboy420 View Post
I'll put $ on it that any on ebay that are getting pulled are getting reported by some one that sells them. no ifs ands or butts about it.

Ebay does not pull any thing thats in violation of any policy on there own. They require the dirty scum bag nark system to sdtay on top of stuff like that, and like most ebay auctions that get reported they get reported by someone that has a vested intrest in seeing there compatishin snuffed.

Ebay does not just search or look for items that are not supposed to be there. They even say so in there TOS policy.
There were people on eBay who would pick up concentrators out of dumpsters or off the curb or from garage/estate sales, maybe replace a filter or two, and then sold them as "refurbished" or "reconditioned." Some simply sold them as used "as is" (and in those cases, I cannot fault the seller for a busted unit unless they claimed that it worked when it really did not). Maybe eBay received quite a few complaints from dissatisfied customers. I know that several people I have talked to have bought units off of eBay and were burned in that way. That's why when asked, I have always said to be careful when buying off of eBay. And I would still say the same. Buy off of eBay (if available) if you want to, but be careful and beware.

I would think that anyone running a successful business would be too busy with their own auctions to troll eBay looking to axe their compettion. I guess the operative word here would be successful.

But, you know, it still wouldn' surprise me. When I started selling concentrators, a particular company that also sells them called up my number and hung up - I guess to check me out. My husband called them back (thanks caller i.d.!) and they first acted like they hadn't called, but then made up a fake reason for calling, and then got into a friendly conversation saying that there was room for all of us in this industry, etc., etc. (funny, since they did not know about this market until someone else I know told them about it). Then, they called up someone I know in the glass industry proclaiming that they were going to clean up the concentrator industry from all the fly-by-nighters selling concentrators and proceeded to ask my friend if he had ever heard of Pyronamix or Kimberly Stark. What the heck? When my friend spoke up and said that he knew me and that I was not a fly-by-nighter, the caller started going off on another concentrator company in the glass business and how he had big plans to shut them down, etc.

The funny (ironic) thing is that they themselves have a shady background and bad reputation in the concentrator industry and were operating under a different name and in a different location than they are now (they had been run out of town, basically) and here they are trying to run someone else out of town! I think they want to monopolize the industry.

Do I think that these guys were the ones responsible for getting the concentrator listings pulled? It's possible. But really, that market is so big outside of lampworking, it could have been any of the sellers on there. Maybe it was the combination of actual consumer complaints and other sellers reporting auctions that got it shut down.

I think the bottom line in any business is that if you take care of your own business, your competition will take care of itself. That is not to say that if you know of dishonesty and deception that you stay quiet. Most bad things eventually die out when they get exposed for what they are. But, getting the plug pulled on someone just because you are jealous of their sales is lame and just plain greedy.

The funny thing is that if a seller did this to shut down his competition (or prevent an upcoming competitor from entering that market), he has effectively cut off his nose to spite his face - because now, he, too, is unable to sell his wares there.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2007-03-25 at 10:04am.
Old 2007-03-27, 6:15am

Its not hard for some one to take a few hours a day to drive the comatishion off of ebay. esp if they are desprite. ebay takess any one at therew word if they report an aution. You could go find some lil girl selling a stuffed bugs bunny and report it to ebay that its illegal and the auction listing is removed with in a few mins. ebay don't check in to any aligations inless the sell says hey WTF? then they will look at it and if its ok they will let them relist it. ebay does not police them selves becase the law says if they do they are resoponcible for every thing on ebay. instead they take the we don't know about it inless some one points it out aproch. keeps them from getting in trouble if any thing does slip by.

I'm sure ebay prob. did have some kind of a policy change regarding medical use items cause the are not legal to sell for medical use if some one don't have a perscription.

So its probly a combonation of a few gready selles and a few want to be do gooders that just have no life. is all it take to wipe out a few 100 listings a day. there are pepeol whos lifes suck so bad they don't have any thing better to do but surf ebay looking for things to rat on.

I've seen posts on this board before even from peep that where braging they got some ones ebay auctions pulled for the stupidest things. Like makeing a bead that was prettier then theres and selling it for less. or nit picking on a single word used in the listing. So I know the practice exsists.

I used to sell stuff on ebay till all of the suddon this sell called honestjoe would report every one of my listings and any one else selling the same things as him as illegal drugs. So I contacted like 5 other sellers that I was noticing where allways getting there adds pulled. and asked if any of them noticed this honest joe was the only one not getting there listings pulled.
and they all had a felling it was him.
a pcs of pyrex = illegal drugs
WTF????
It got so ridulas selling any thing on ebay when all it takes i one other dishonest thife to wipe the good selers out. and good sellers don't resort to that so they end up being the ones that leave ebay and these Honestjoes can keep selling with 20 negitive feed back.
Old 2007-03-28, 10:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
There were people on eBay who would pick up concentrators out of dumpsters or off the curb or from garage/estate sales, maybe replace a filter or two, and then sold them as "refurbished" or "reconditioned." Some simply sold them as used "as is" (and in those cases, I cannot fault the seller for a busted unit unless they claimed that it worked when it really did not). Maybe eBay received quite a few complaints from dissatisfied customers. I know that several people I have talked to have bought units off of eBay and were burned in that way. That's why when asked, I have always said to be careful when buying off of eBay. And I would still say the same. Buy off of eBay (if available) if you want to, but be careful and beware.

I would think that anyone running a successful business would be too busy with their own auctions to troll eBay looking to axe their compettion. I guess the operative word here would be successful.

But, you know, it still wouldn' surprise me. When I started selling concentrators, a particular company that also sells them called up my number and hung up - I guess to check me out. My husband called them back (thanks caller i.d.!) and they first acted like they hadn't called, but then made up a fake reason for calling, and then got into a friendly conversation saying that there was room for all of us in this industry, etc., etc. (funny, since they did not know about this market until someone else I know told them about it). Then, they called up someone I know in the glass industry proclaiming that they were going to clean up the concentrator industry from all the fly-by-nighters selling concentrators and proceeded to ask my friend if he had ever heard of Pyronamix or Kimberly Stark. What the heck? When my friend spoke up and said that he knew me and that I was not a fly-by-nighter, the caller started going off on another concentrator company in the glass business and how he had big plans to shut them down, etc.

The funny (ironic) thing is that they themselves have a shady background and bad reputation in the concentrator industry and were operating under a different name and in a different location than they are now (they had been run out of town, basically) and here they are trying to run someone else out of town! I think they want to monopolize the industry.

Do I think that these guys were the ones responsible for getting the concentrator listings pulled? It's possible. But really, that market is so big outside of lampworking, it could have been any of the sellers on there. Maybe it was the combination of actual consumer complaints and other sellers reporting auctions that got it shut down.

I think the bottom line in any business is that if you take care of your own business, your competition will take care of itself. That is not to say that if you know of dishonesty and deception that you stay quiet. Most bad things eventually die out when they get exposed for what they are. But, getting the plug pulled on someone just because you are jealous of their sales is lame and just plain greedy.

The funny thing is that if a seller did this to shut down his competition (or prevent an upcoming competitor from entering that market), he has effectively cut off his nose to spite his face - because now, he, too, is unable to sell his wares there.
I guess thats a good theory, but the FDA ultimately stepped in and made ebay pull the listings. Stinks for me because I used to do quite a bit of business on ebay. I have since spread out to a few other internet based auction/catalog based sites, not that I wanted to. I liked ebay

Old 2007-03-28, 11:02pm

Well any way ebay still has the entire section as a catogory.
and even if they did decide to not allow them ebay still would need its army of loosers to report the listings so they can pull em. Ebay does not take an active part in monitoring there site and they relie on its users to report listings. So even if its not allowed it still takes an active part from some one to point the listings out to ebay.

BUt as far as the orignal ? of who is cheapest. I can't say cause I don't always compair prices daily from each vender to the next or each model.

But I can recomend www.pyronamix.com as being honest and helpful without tring to over sell anyone. If you need 1 to run your torch. They won't try to get you to buy 2 or 3. But if you have a bigger torch that needs more then 1 to run.They will trutefully tell you you they won't just promis you oh ya it will work fine hoping that saying you need 2 don't scare you off. or if your torch just will not run off of a concentrator they will tell you it ain't going to work.

Being as it can be hit and miss when it comes to finding a good place to deal with when it comes to o2 gens. Its the only place I can recomend without having to worry if some one will get screwed.

It seems these things are like diamonds and jelwery. Because there can be insane profits from being a rip off it can attract all kinds of the wrong sorts in to the game.

BTW I'm am not implying any one inperticuler is a rip off. I'm just saying that I know www.pyronamix.com is one good place that I know is all good.