No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-11-01, 8:07pm
Pincel de Fuego

Default Roomba?

For <different reasons> I have tiny lampwork shards all over the floor of my studio. Would you let your roomba clean it up?
I mainly worry about the shards puncturing the filter... what do you think? Do you vacuum shards?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
Old 2015-11-01, 11:52pm
Phill

I would think it would be OK.

Those machines don't have outrageous suction yet ( I think).

But I might wait to test it until I had a spare filter and watch it close.

But honestly, I would bet that the Roomba would miss most of the smaller shards and those would be the ones that would give you the most grief once they get tracked all over the place.

Good quality broom, hand broom and dust pan would be my method followed by masking tape rolled backwards on the roll or one of those sticky dog hair rollers for removing hair from upholstery if I was thinking of going bare foot in that area at all.

Good Luck.
Old 2015-11-02, 7:34am
Dazed and Confused

I'm with Speedslug on this.

I have a Roomba for the house, and while it normally gets 90% of everything on the floor, the 10% that it leaves could very well contain those almost microscopic glass shards - which we all hate encountering.

I'd just do it analog - broom, dustpan, brush - and possibly wash the floors (if they're washable) afterwards to get the last of it.

Also, in my studio, working with glass? Personally, I always work wearing 'proper' shoes.
Closed-toe when around hot or broken glass, despite my almost pathological need to wear flip-flops for most of the year
Old 2015-11-02, 9:17am

Good old fashioned shop vac once a week. Use the water pusher attachment to slide around on the floor. I have concrete floors in my studio, and ( boy am I going to get comments on this ). But I work in sandals and barefoot. A lot!

I liked my room a while it lasted, but in my studio... Give me a honkin shop vac with extra hose all duct taped together!! Ain't no better clean! Lol
Old 2015-11-02, 10:45am
Pincel de Fuego

Hahaha i used to be paranoid about stepping in glass but I've been working barefoot for about a year and it's really not such a big deal... Like the tiny burns on my arms and legs aren't such a big deal either. But yeah I'm thinking if it's ok for the roomba I'll use her to spot clean that area and then I'll use the wet Swiffer sheets like crazy to get the rest of it... Definitely wouldn't use a broom because then how would I get the glass out of the broom....?

I definitely don't want it to travel around my house (because that's not fair to my husband) so I'll make sure to clean the roomba afterwards...

/
/
Old 2015-11-03, 12:22am
Phill

I clean my broom by brushing it against a fence or a post outside.

But I might get one broom and use that one only for the studio area if it was really important.

Going barefoot all the time can build up very nice calluses so your feet can tolerate a little glass dust now and then but babies, pets and others in the house may not have the thick skin needed.

All of that said have you given thought to a dedicated throw rug for the studio?

It would reduce some of the breakage and could be vacuumed upside down in the driveway to beat the tiniest of shards out of it when needed as well as rolled up and stuck under the bench when you don't want it out.

We do remember about your having some 3 doctors in the family and a foot that found something extra to bring back to Panama from a trip to New York some time back.
Old 2015-11-03, 9:40am
Pincel de Fuego

We are a no-rug house because of allergies. ...even in the bathroom what we have is a towel on the floor so I can machine wash it all the time.

Aaahhhh hahahaha I had COMPLETELY forgotten the thing I got in my foot in nyc.... That sucked!!!!! Just remembering that is making me want to put shoes on......

/
/
Old 2015-11-03, 10:11am
Phill

Hey, beach towels work as rugs just fine.

I used them as blankets back in Guam as well.