LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-18, 8:42pm

Default What is one technique you wish you knew how to do?

What is one technique you wish you knew how to do?

I would like to make a small signature cane with my initials. SB. I haven't tried yet and any tips would be welcomed. I'd like to make the trial and error stage go more quickly.

Thanks!
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-18, 8:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have seen a tutorial on how to do different letters - I will try to find it.

Oh and the one technique I want to learn is how to make petals this way:

I believe these beads are Anastasia's. Gorgeous aren;t they?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-18, 9:49pm

Default Floral Beads

Wow! Those are very stunning. Thanks for posting the photo and for your reply. I like how she put the real flowers in with the photo.

Scott

Old 2007-03-18, 10:23pm

Hello,

What I would really like to know how to do is the "curl" look in encased florals.
I don't know how do to a link but if you go to www.starleensstudio.com That is what technique I would like to do. Its not only the depth but the way the center curls around the bubble!
Her beads are amazing!!!!!
I can get the depth, somewhat,and encasing but can't get the "curl"
Anastasia beads are amazing also!
Old 2007-03-19, 12:36am
He can do the origami

I wish I knew how to make beads.
Old 2007-03-19, 5:09am
Formerly known as weasel

Great thread, I wish I knew how to make florals! I also wish I knew how to make a link to connect my beads with email.
I know greedy aren't I

Wilma

Old 2007-03-19, 6:19am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Scott - I believe the letter murrine were in a book I read/have. I will look through the ones I think it may be in tonight and let you know. I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-03-19, 7:49am
Viking Flame Keeper

I believe the instructions Squid is talking about is in the first Cindy Jenkins book.

I wish I could get nice colours out of raku, consistently.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-03-19, 9:01am
dances with ideas...

It's in Cindy Jenkins' book "Making Glass Beads."

I think I need to learn how to focus long enough to become good at some (any) technique.

Old 2007-03-19, 9:15am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
It's in Cindy Jenkins' book "Making Glass Beads."

I think I need to learn how to focus long enough to become good at some (any) technique.
I knew I had seen it in one of the books I have!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-03-19, 9:15am

scott...
I knew I had seen a good tut on sinature cane.
It under wet canvas...How to make a signature cane. The thread is dated 1/27/2003. Its how to make a c and a j but the basic are there.
Old 2007-03-19, 9:29am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yeah, I saw that one yesterday when I was looking. The one in Cindy's Jenkins books shows how to make all the letters

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-03-19, 9:58am

Default sig canes

Thanks for the tips. I have that book and haven't pulled it out in a long time. That is the book I learned from. I'll be sure to take a look. I'll also try to find the WC thread. You guys are the best for taking the time to help me with this.
It is fun interacting with all of you and viewing the pictures/links in your replies.
Scott

Old 2007-03-19, 10:02am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

here is the link to that thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...threadid=84886

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-03-19, 10:11am
ManBearPig

Kimberly,

You show me how to make seahorses and I'll show you how to make inside-out beads.

Deal?

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-19, 10:16am

Default wc link

Thanks Squid! That was fun to look at and gave me the idea before I have been able to find my book. Very cool.
Scott

Old 2007-03-19, 10:19am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
I wish I knew how to make beads.
LOL Otter!
Old 2007-03-19, 10:20am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
You know what - if I ever get to Virginia you have a DEAL!!!
I'm coming to Oregon later this summer. Staying a few months....

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-19, 10:32am

thanks squid for post the thread ....
Don't know how to do that linking business.
What are inside out beads?
Old 2007-03-19, 10:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Where are you going to be??
Not sure yet. Coming out to stay with some pipe makers. I think they are in Eugene and Arcadia (?). I'm still waiting to find out more.

But, I'm also thinking about going to see a friend in California, so I'll probably be all over the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbeardog View Post
thanks squid for post the thread ....
Don't know how to do that linking business.
What are inside out beads?
A very simplistic explanation is that you take a clear tube, open it up, draw designs on the inside. Then close it back down and shape it into a bead.

Here are photos of some that I own (no photos of recent ones I've done, though - I need to take some):

Oh, here's an early attempt of mine. Don't laugh. I've come a LONG way since then...

Also, look up Evolving Beau on this board. He makes some exquisite inside out beads....

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-19, 10:40am

I'd like to learn how to blow a small perfume bottle. I guess I will learn that soon when Roger comes to teach us. Right now I am clueless. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-19, 10:40am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I'd like to learn how to blow a small perfume bottle. I guess I will learn that soon when Roger comes to teach us. Right now I am clueless. Paula
I can teach you too...

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-19, 10:43am

I would love to know how to make a basic "barrel bead"
i know simple but i cant do it LOL
Old 2007-03-19, 10:50am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
I would love to know how to make a basic "barrel bead"
i know simple but i cant do it LOL
I'll tell you what I've discovered in teaching people shaping...

Work slower and cooler. Most people get the glass raging hot and then try to marver it into a barrel all at one time. That doesn't work. Get it warm and slightly soft, and then marver it a little. Repeat three or four times using very light pressure on the marver. And roll it along the marver, don't marver it by spinning the mandrel and keeping the bead in one place on the marver.

Hope that helps...

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-19, 10:55am

Good advice Chad!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-19, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'll tell you what I've discovered in teaching people shaping...

Work slower and cooler. Most people get the glass raging hot and then try to marver it into a barrel all at one time. That doesn't work. Get it warm and slightly soft, and then marver it a little. Repeat three or four times using very light pressure on the marver. And roll it along the marver, don't marver it by spinning the mandrel and keeping the bead in one place on the marver.

Hope that helps...

Oh cool!!
ive been trying it when its very hot and rolling back and forth along the marver and as you guessed it all goes wrong
i will give this a try thanks!
Old 2007-03-19, 3:13pm
mystical cat lover 56

I wish I could make beads too and paint them like the lady teacher at the
Blue Moon - I can't spell her name - but I love her beads !
Old 2007-03-19, 7:43pm

Anything sculptural

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-03-20, 8:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
Wow! Outstanding showcase! You are all amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Here are a few from me. After a weekend of resting my arm from use I am off to go light the torch! Here is to productive days for everyone!

Warmly,
id love to be able to do these
ro
Old 2007-03-20, 5:01pm

I would like to do a consistent perfect every time crunch bead. Same exact size, same exact shape. Same thickness.
Plus beads like in the post above.