Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-03-28, 4:22am
Unmedicated since '62

i think it might have been Kelara who described one time torching in PJ's and dropped a pendant in her lap and set the hooha on fire - eeeeyowch!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-03-30, 12:01pm

Punty into the palm and aftermath of a tube exploding in my hand while the lathe was running.

Old 2011-03-30, 4:16pm

So in Vegas I'll just look for the booth with the guy with bandages on his hands and that will be you?
under construction -
Old 2011-03-30, 4:53pm
birdergirl ~o~

Still have burnt myself worse cooking ~ but sweeping off the bench with my bare hands caused a cut deep enough to cut a nerve~ it has gotten better over time~ but still has some numbness ( or is that just me?).
THEN teaching a 2 week lampwork independent study to 16 YO god daughter, who I watched like a hawk to protect her from burns, on our last day of torching when she has gotten "comfortable " with the process~ she makes a nice spacer on the mandrel then lifts the mandrel with glowing hot spacer~up towards her face and hair to sweep the hair back from her eyes, right after I freaked out about that she takes a new rod of glass ( cool but,...) and scratches the side of her face with it !!! (!!!). Second freak out~ THEN she thought she'd be able to use the phone while torching NO I explained to her I bring the phone into the studio for emergencies ( mine!!). I was glad I hadn't relented on my watch during the 2 weeks. I was always standing within grabbing distance of her the whole time.
"sigh of relief!" no burns to show!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-03-30, 4:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie_M View Post
So in Vegas I'll just look for the booth with the guy with bandages on his hands and that will be you?
Nope as of this posting my hands are free and clear. minus one tiny burn. But i will be around loco on Sat doing something silly im sure.
Old 2011-03-30, 6:13pm

I think all the LE peeps should put their LE name on their booth space too - so I'll know who you are.
under construction -
Old 2011-03-30, 8:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie_M View Post
I think all the LE peeps should put their LE name on their booth space too - so I'll know who you are.
And how will we know who you are!
Old 2011-04-14, 5:26am

Default ouches,Chevy!

That's a bad one!
"

Old 2011-04-15, 5:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I
The one that was worse was the one I got from the tip of the HH on my inner elbow. Torch flame was out of course, but idiot me reach across it to get my coffee cup. Because of where that one was, it got infected and oozed like crazy. I had a bad reaction to a film-like bandage cover I put on it. This burn was dime sized but took 6 weeks to heal.
I have exactly the same.. inner right elbow from leaning over the end of my hot but unlit HH. That was over 3 years ago and the scar is just over 1" long and about 1/2" wide !!

Old 2011-04-17, 5:11pm

Ouch!
Old 2011-04-19, 2:33am

Default every just say to your self...ugh you dumn a**?

aproximately 35 min ago i passed my hand through my HH flame. funny thing - i watched myself do it

I was about to run out of propane and decided to practice/make stingers. low and behold! a giant ant in my lap making its way toward the girls... quick spring into action! Put stringer down fast and... omg... i watched my hand pass through the flame on the way to the rod rest thingy.

ok... well took a pic right after it happened... will take some more if it blisters or anything. ugh... you dumb a**
Old 2011-05-18, 6:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations View Post
So for the past four years I've been pretty lucky, but I just my got worst burn about 10 minutes ago and thought immediately "I'd better get a picture to show the other glassfiends!" It also helps when giving demos and the safety talk

Sure it's not as bad as a lot here, but man is that tip cooked...

I was sculpting legs of a crab and rotated my piece to get a crab leg out of the flame and was listening to music... middle finger got it (the irony!)! Smells burned too, probably mostly the burnt-nail smell, but it's getting all hard at the tip. It's hurting, but I'm posting this first, then will go back to cold-watering it and maybe back to the torch if I put a band-aid on it or something to keep the heat away... Here ya go:
I just joined the burn club too - SheperdCreations, mine looks identical to yours!!! I went to pick up a stringer and put my finger right in the flame.
Attached Images

GTT Mirage - tanked oxygen & propane
I'm a lampworking novice who hopes to one day be worthy of my torch.
Old 2011-05-26, 1:33am
picking Job's Tears

Ouch, ouch and ouch.

Guilty of sweeping my bench with my hand. Not gonna do that again.
Haven't torched with non cotton clothes yet, always long pants and always closed shoes. I tried to rewarm a bead out of the kiln the last time I torched and it kinda exploded - almost in my face (there's another good reason to never torch without glasses).

But my worst burn so far was from stepping onto the handle of a pot of hot coffee (metal pot still on lit burner) when I was 5 (on the floor of a boat). The worst burn in my family was also from liquid, when my Mom was making juice in a steam juicer and my baby brother pulled the hose off. It took 6 months for the worst part to stop bleeding and he has a scar from the front of his forearm to the back of his shoulder. He's still my "baby brother" though he's 42 now (and a rather successful mechanical engineer, married with 3 kids - obviously the scar doesn't scare his wife).
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-05-26, 2:04am
Resident hippie

Exclamation WARNING graphic

Here is a picture of my burn which I got when an off mandrel piece about 3/4" x 1/2" flew out of my pliers and into my croc under the table.
How did that happen?

This happened two weeks ago yesterday and it is so much better. I did get an antibiotic as it kept trying to go septic.
Thanks to AuntD who encouraged me to be serious about looking after it.

It's a long way down so you can skip over it if you like.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-05-26, 7:05am
Loving learning

Ouch!! I'm glad you got the antibiotics to heal well.

Thank everyone for posting these. I try to keep them in mind now that I'm melting stuff. I just realized that when I went out Tuesday I was in shorts & flip flops, but I'll try to do better from now on. I am VERY careful not to reach in front of the flame because of all these posts. I hope I continue that as I get more comfortable with things.
Old 2012-02-24, 7:32pm

Many years ago a marble maker was making a marble stood up to work it, whacked his foot on his rolly chair, passed out from the pain and woke up with the marble in his hand on his chest. Drove himself to the hospital. Burnt off a couple fingers.

Any oldtimers remember who it was? I have horrible memory.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-02-24, 7:54pm
Eight Miles Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Many years ago a marble maker was making a marble stood up to work it, whacked his foot on his rolly chair, passed out from the pain and woke up with the marble in his hand on his chest. Drove himself to the hospital. Burnt off a couple fingers.

OMFG.

Old 2012-02-24, 8:27pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post

I remember the incident...he also had to have skin grafts to his torso. All I remember is that he didn't hang out here. Somebody posted about the incident because he needed money for his medical bills. I wonder how he's doing now?

Old 2012-02-24, 9:13pm

It's not working. My very first class I was mesmerized by the flame and dropped a hot bead on my finger. I came back anyway.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-02-24, 9:14pm

Okay, just read the rest of the posts. Buying an apron on Monday. Do NOT want a burned hooha!

Old 2012-02-24, 9:16pm
Loving learning

The thought of that makes me cringe for sure.
Old 2012-02-25, 12:22pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

This afternoon I tried to press a stringer into a gather with a fingertip... how on earth I got from terrified of the torch to THAT bonehead move in 4 pounds of gas I have no idea. Worst one so far though, last night I reached over my cup full of rods to drop a hot tool into my water bucket. Impaled a fingertip on the pointy end of a rod that I hadn't bothered to round off after pulling stringers. Lesson learned? I doubt it. But I'll bet I store them sideways, or pointy end down, from now on! All that blood made the mandrel really slippery!

L-111

Old 2012-02-25, 12:45pm

ouchie everyone!! I never took pictures but have plenty of scars to prove my injuries!! I have twin scars on the tops of my breasts from glass popping off a rod and down my shirt! I have a few areas on my arms where I had burns occur, my favorite is the one where I actually reached across the falme to get a rod of glass and smelled something burning. I now actually wear a skull cap while making beads because of a huge piece of glass popping off onto my head!! I was grateful to have lots of hair because it never reached my scalp! lol

Old 2012-02-25, 1:56pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Awe, man... I'm already wearing long pants, leather boots, high-neck shirt, leather apron, kevlar sleeves... and now I have to add a HAT?!? I Hate Hats...

L-111

Old 2012-02-25, 2:00pm

I am not big on hats either, but I like my hair!!!!!!! last thing I need is a big old bald spot on the top of my head!!!

Old 2012-02-25, 2:21pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
Awe, man... I'm already wearing long pants, leather boots, high-neck shirt, leather apron, kevlar sleeves... and now I have to add a HAT?!? I Hate Hats...
Damm, what are you making?
Old 2012-02-25, 8:41pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I poked a sharp stringer end.....through my heavy cotton sweatshirt and turtleneck.... into my left wrist............it hit a vein perfectly.
Had a giant bulge within minutes. Still hurts a week later since it is right where I rest my arm when I type, and is quite an inspirational color combo.....
The scars on my neck are from happy shocky glass getting caught in the same heavy sweatshirt--thought I was covered, but there is always an opportunity for that rascally glass to sneak into--never thought about my hair!

Old 2012-02-26, 11:41am
Curmudgeon Engineering

It always amazes me that people whine so much about 'shocky' glass and then I watch as they take a cold rod and wave it rapidly up and down through the flame..shock, shock, shock, shock!! How could it not shatter? It's just been heated and cooled over a many hundred degree temp change repeatedly in a couple seconds.

Take the rod and place it above the flame way way out at the flame tip. Slowly introduce the rod into the flame while turning it still way out at the flame tip. Gradually bring it closer to the working area of your flame. A few rods/glasses will shock under any condition but this method will stop most of the shocking shocking.
Old 2012-03-04, 10:05pm

Do not torch with your mouth open. That's all I'm going to say.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-03-04, 11:27pm

Oh god, I can't do anything with my mouth closed. Guess I'm going to have to wear a shield over my face, too. Maybe instead of injuries, we should be posting pics of ourselves in protective gear. Ought to be good for a laugh or two!