LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-03, 12:20pm

Default Problem with Lynx hose fittings not fitting my Quick Connects[B][/B]

I recently purchased a Lynx, but the fittings at the ends of the gas hoses don't work with my Quick Connects. The diameter of the fittings on the Lynx is quite a bit smaller than that of the Quick Connects. I'd rather not remove the fittings to fit the QCs because it's obviously a neat and tidy job done at the factory. Is there an "adapter" part or something that I can use in between the factory fitting and the Quick Connects instead of cutting the hoses?

(If this isn't clear, I can take some pictures to show what I'm trying to explain.)

Thanks!

Renee
Old 2010-10-03, 12:23pm
Somebody's watching me!

pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-03, 6:09pm

This pic shows Lynx fittings (male) at the ends of the hoses that are directly attached to the torch.

Here's a pic showing the Lynx fittings with the Quick Connects fittings (male) beside them.
(I'm wondering if that little "bump out" on the shaft of the QC male fitting is what makes the "click" and the attachment to the female part. If so, it stands to reason that the Lynx fitting doesn't work because it's the same diameter all along the shaft, right?)

And here's a pic showing one of the Lynx fittings (male) inserted into one of the Quick Connects female fittings. It fits inside, but it doesn't "click" and attach. The Lynx male fitting is 2mm long and 0.5mm in diameter. The Quick Connects male fitting is 2.5mm long and 0.5 in diameter.

Do the photos help with the diagnosis? Thanks for your help, BTW. I'm anxious to use my new torch and truly appreciate any assistance.
Old 2010-10-03, 7:02pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Ok that is easy..... You have "push on barbed ends" on short hoses coming from torch and all you need is to go to welding supply and get a short section of hoses with threaded coupling (on one end) that will fit to quick disconnects and push them on torch hose connectors.... Or you can have barbed ends removed and replaced with "B" type (threaded) hose connectors...

You my also need additional "coupler" to match hose ends to QD units...

These are all standard welding industry parts and should be locally available

Take torch and QD to welding supply if counter person is any good, he/she can fix you up in about 10 minutes from off the shelf parts...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-03 at 7:09pm.
Old 2010-10-03, 8:52pm

Sounds great - thank you so much for your help, Dale!
Old 2010-10-04, 12:24am

Your barbed ends probably have a filter on them - be sure to not lose the filters in the process of your upgrading, as the small ports on the lynx seem like they'd be exceptionally prone to clogging.