Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-24, 11:03am
MacGalver

Definitely going to be trying this one!

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-24, 6:13pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Ok here's my follow up...torched with three of the pickeled glass today, lauscha reformulated, aether and a regular efftre clear. All three were really clear. i was blown away by how clear the cheap stuff was, especially because i diodn't follow the "rules" of pickling and used hot liquid in plastic (couldn't find a glass pan big enough). I really think this is a great idea. I will hope they come out of the kiln as clear as they went in and I'll post pics. i did notice some bubbles, but those were user error bubbles not those tiny little scum bubbles. I'm a convert the other bonus was that because i did each type of clear in a separate batch, i had time to let them drip dry between batchges, then i labeled each carefully, wrapped each bundle in a paper towel that was folded to about 2" wide, then put elastic around the paper towel not touching the glass. it is such a joy to work with them now.
Cara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-02-24, 6:25pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I got a 15" glass pyrex dish at Wegmans supermarket, on sale for $8.
I've been pickling just about everything. The rods are definately smoother feeling. Don't know if it's worth it for all rods, but I'm doing all my transparent and filigrana. I did the seeded tubes and I won't do that again, it took several days to dry out the insides.

HTH
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-24, 8:09pm
Mary Lockwood

Yeah, I pickled all my dichro strips. Worked a charm.

Old 2011-02-25, 6:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Glass Rod Cleaning & Pickling Instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbead View Post
I'm just gonna post this here. I am not a fan of any more chemicals, so I tried out the vinear / salt solution. I thought it was worthwhile. It was easy, didn't take long, and my clear and troubling transparents are performing better. Here is a link to a blog that I wrote about it with links to Patty's information, and the jewelry blog that I got my pickle recipe from.
http://isinglassdesign.blogspot.com/search?q=pickle

Thank you so much for putting this non-toxic recipe and the cleaning procedure all together in your Blog. It's such useful information. I sure hope people will post pictures of their improved clear beads!
Old 2011-02-25, 9:33am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Here's a bead made with effetre super clear that was pickled. i hope the picture captures the clarity. I am a convert. I had fished this glass out of the "too cruddy to use" pile. This is with Triton, hayley's winter murrini and That Frit Girl's cloak of an elven kind
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-02-25, 10:19am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Very nice bead. Thank you for posting it!
Old 2011-02-25, 6:00pm

You guys are all so great to share all this information. I have to complain just a bit though... I use my turkey roasting pan and pickled ALL of my glass. It took me all day Sat and most of Sun.... I am so excited this weekend to actually get to do some glasswork! BTW, I used hot tub ph down and I will no longer be roasting turkeys in that pan! Have a great weekend!
Old 2011-02-25, 6:14pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

What I'd like to find out pls .. two questions:

1. once you've pickled your glass how long is it good for before you need to pickle again - or never, just that I imagine it has to gather dust and whatnot again at some point? Just that I have LOADS of glass and I'd hate to do it all and then have to do it again!! Do you picklers (!) pickle just what you're going to use, or everything when it arrives at your studio?

2. Do you pickle just transparent or do you do opaque too?

Tx!
Amanda
Old 2011-02-25, 6:27pm

The idea of using pickle (or any acid) on the glass is to remove metal particles and other stuff that has accumulated on the glass and in scratches on it in storage and shipping. If you keep your glass under some sort of cover and don't move it around so that it gets scratched further there is no need to repeat this process. A simple wipe down with rubbing alcohol to remove dust and finger grease should be sufficient.

Robert
Old 2011-02-25, 6:27pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Amanda, I went nuts and pickled all my clears. I didn't pickle my transparents or opaques. I'm storing the glass wrapped in paper towels and I'll probably go through it quickly, so no pickling again for me. I got some Target glass wipes and i use them before i torch for dust. so far no complaints from me. I don't see the poiont to pickling opaques but I defer to finer minds than mine on that one.
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-02, 8:00am
Dark Flower Bead Art

I wanted to bump this tread. I have been testing the pickled clears. So far I pickled and tested effetre new clear, effetre super clear, lauscha reformulated, vetro. crystal, prescision diamond clear, Cim clear, Aether, and thanks to a gift from Steph, soon to include TAG clarity. Once I finish my pics I'll post. I was BLOWN away by the difference pickling made. Aether and Lauscha reformulated performed well as would be expected, but what really knocked my socks off was the effetre super clear. The prescision diamond clear was a PITA to work with but I could not believe its clarity. Even pickled, i wont use CiM, vetr. crystal clear, or effere new clear, still scummy for me. I am going to use Effetre superclear as my standard clear now and safe the good/ expensive clear for my silver glass. Again, I used only the vinegar salt pickle and my recipe is listed in a post above. If you are home with the flu or something this is a great way to improve the quality of clears. i'll post pics soon.
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-02, 9:59am
Triumphantly Knit!

I started to pickle everything and it was a C H O R E. Then I thought it isn't really necessary. I am doing transparents only, now. And then a wipe with rubbing alcohol before use.
I would caution using store bought "wipes": to check for moisturzers, binders, etc...simple alcohol or vinegar and water works great. I also found I just let the paper towel dry and use again or again and my new fave is a microfiber cleaning cloth that leaves no dust.
Those beads above are beautiful! I love to see everybody's work.
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-03-02, 10:06am

I keep a small spray bottle of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol for a quick wipe down pickled clear before the glass goes into the flame. It clears up any fingerprints and dust, dries very quickly and has zero residue.

Robert
Old 2011-03-05, 5:44pm

BUMP!! Ok maybe I missed something somewhere... What are the ratios of sodium bisulfate and water? I know I heat it to 140-150

Thanks

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-03-06, 12:52pm

I spent several hours going through all of my various batches of clear, including batches from different vendors. I then used Larry's technique of heating the pickle in a glass Pyrex lasagne pan (on my gas stove with a heat diffuser between the burner and the pan). I have a box of Rio Pickle so that came in handy. I soaked each batch separately, rinsed them and did a final cleaning with alcohol. When I was done I neutralized the acid with baking soda.

I got to try out some of the various batches on Friday. It really does make a difference. The newer batches of Effetre Super Clear are quite nice, and the pickling makes Aether and Reichenbach Crystal Clear even nicer. I have an old batch of Effetre 104 stringers that was very scummy even after attempting to clean them with various techniques, so I was sure it was a bad batch. Those improved with the pickling, but they're still only suitable for the base glass for beads. Still, I'm thrilled that now I have a great supply of good clears, including newer batches of Effetre Super Clear.

I also pickled my dichro; worked beautifully.

Duane, I used two heaping teaspoons of pickle to the pan that already had water in it. It's a 13x9x2 Pyrex pan, and was about 1/2 full of water. I did replenish the water during the time I was pickling to make up for evaporation, but tried to keep it at least half full at all times. I initially had it at 160 degrees (Larry says to heat it to 160-180). I didn't check it again, but it stayed hot and never even simmered.

Be sure you have some gloves (I used nitrile disposable gloves) and a non-metallic tool to remove the rods. I also had a roasting pan filled with water next to the acid bath, to which I transferred the rods for rinsing.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2011-04-21, 6:34am
StudioMarcy

just a little *bump*

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-24, 1:01pm
Glass Graffiti

I am a big fan of CiM clear mainly because it's cheap. I make mostly organics so for me a few bubblies is not a big deal. But my last (2lb) batch of CiM clear was unusable! It was just a mess. I had read about the pickling solution before but didn't want to wait for an online order so I figured I'd give CLR a try. Well, I am happy to report that it worked great!!! The CiM is still a little scummy but that is just the nature of CiM. I also did a big batch of Moretti that I thought was unusable for the same reason and it came out beautiful as well.

How I did it:
I put the rods in a Pyrex dish and added the CLR straight. I didn't have quite enough in the bottle to cover them so I added a little hot water. The first batch sat for about a half hour. I took them out rinsed them very thoroughly (with gloves on) and dried with paper towel. The second batch I let sit over night. I couldn't tell the difference. Both batches were very clean and clear. I added a handful of baking soda before tossing out the left over CLR. That was interesting!

I have a strip of dichro that bubbles and scums like crazy I always thought it was just me. Maybe NOT! I am gonna CLR it and see what happens!

Old 2011-05-24, 2:06pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

If pickling removes metal residue and stuff, would pickling turqoise beads that have that silver shine on it work? Just a thought.

Old 2011-05-24, 3:25pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
If pickling removes metal residue and stuff, would pickling turqoise beads that have that silver shine on it work? Just a thought.
I was thinking the same thing and would love to know if anyone has tried it. I love turquoise but avoid using it unless I plan to etch. Would love to be able to remove that awful film and have nice shiny turquoise!!

I've had great results pickling some of my unusable clear. Now I'm out of my pickling mix and need to order more. When I do, I plan on trying it on some turquoise and copper green beads.

The stuff I used is a safe, non-toxic pickling mix I ordered from Cool Tools. I just used a Pyrex casserole dish, dumped in some pickling mix, added boiling water and added my rods. They were in the mix for about 20 - 30 minutes. Rinsed and dried them and they just sparkle....and NO SCUM in the flame!!!

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2011-05-24, 5:42pm
Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
I was thinking the same thing and would love to know if anyone has tried it. I love turquoise but avoid using it unless I plan to etch. Would love to be able to remove that awful film and have nice shiny turquoise!!

Dawn, do you mean when you get that smokey dark film that you sometimes get on the turquoise glass beads?

In the UK, they have a cleaning product called Cillit Bang (Lime & Grime Version) and here in Australia, we have Easy Off Bam (it's the same stuff but different name), just soak your beads in that for a day and the smokey film is totally gone. I've heard coca-cola may do the same, but I haven't tried it!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-05-24, 6:07pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
Dawn, do you mean when you get that smokey dark film that you sometimes get on the turquoise glass beads?

In the UK, they have a cleaning product called Cillit Bang (Lime & Grime Version) and here in Australia, we have Easy Off Bam (it's the same stuff but different name), just soak your beads in that for a day and the smokey film is totally gone. I've heard coca-cola may do the same, but I haven't tried it!
Yes, it's that smokey dark film I'm referring to. I've tried coca-cola and it didn't do anything. Then I read somewhere to try the toilet cleaner Sno-bowl and that just made them splotchy. Haven't heard of the products you mentioned, but I'm off to Google them just to see if they have either one here in the US. Thanks for the tip!

Old 2011-05-24, 6:16pm
Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Yes, it's that smokey dark film I'm referring to. I've tried coca-cola and it didn't do anything. Then I read somewhere to try the toilet cleaner Sno-bowl and that just made them splotchy. Haven't heard of the products you mentioned, but I'm off to Google them just to see if they have either one here in the US. Thanks for the tip!
Dawn, according to Wikipedia, in the US it's called the same as Australia "Easy Off BAM" - I hope you find it coz it really works a treat! Make sure you get the Grime & Lime (scale) version though, as the other ones don't work!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-05-24, 6:48pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
Dawn, according to Wikipedia, in the US it's called the same as Australia "Easy Off BAM" - I hope you find it coz it really works a treat! Make sure you get the Grime & Lime (scale) version though, as the other ones don't work!
I just read that too! I'll be looking for some next time I go to the store. Thanks again!

Old 2011-05-24, 10:08pm

I use Rio Pickle diluted to 1/4 of the recommended amount (5 Tbspn-1 cup water). I have an old electric skillet that I have dedicated for that purpose...It's the larger sized ones and I just add more water to counter any evaporation. Works great!!

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-05-28, 2:11pm
I ate a big red candle!

Nothing new to add from me here, but just another person vouching for the vinegar pickle.

I went to walmart and got vinegar for 2 dollars, lots of salt for 48 cents and a turkey pan for maybe 2.50

I did it in my oven and just occasionally swirled things around with a spoon to dissolve everything until it got to 140 and then gave it 20 minutes.

I'll admit that it's kinda a pain, but it looks so nice and it's super cheap!

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-05-28, 2:52pm
Entropy increasing....

I pickled some last night. I don't have a pan the right size so I couldn't do much, but I did the vinegar and salt even though I have some Sparex.

I haven't tried the glass yet, but I can feel the difference. It's squeaky clean now.
Old 2011-05-28, 7:00pm
ASamples33

Default I pickled today for the first time

Well it is a holiday weekend so I had some time to do a few fun things. I pickled all my clears and transparents, my husband set up my new used torch (a Nortel megga minor, I was on a hot head) and I made some beads. Wow life is good! If you have any words of advice for me on the torch, I am all ears. I hope to get a chance to pickle the rest of my glass soon.
Old 2011-05-28, 7:01pm
ASamples33

Default I pickled today for the first time

Well it is a holiday weekend so I had some time to do a few fun things. I pickled all my clears and transparents, my husband set up my new used torch (a Nortel megga minor, I was on a hot head) and I made some beads. Wow life is good! If you have any words of advice for me on the torch, I am all ears. I hope to get a chance to pickle the rest of my glass soon.
Andi
Old 2011-06-12, 7:58pm
And silence is golden

Just an inane question here. Once you use the Pyrex lasagna baking dish for this pickling purpose, is it now rendered unusable for it's original purpose? Meaning, do the chemicals leave a certain amount of harmful residue on the dish that should not be used for cooking anymore.