No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-12, 9:42pm
Bad to the bone

Default Replacing a pyrometer

The short version: I have an AIM 84BD kiln. I think the analog pyrometer is broken. Can I replace it with any ol' pyrometer or do I have to get one specifically for an AIM kiln?

The whole story: The kiln had been on for a couple of hours while I was at the torch. At one point, when I looked over to make sure the temperature was correct, it read only 500 degrees F! When I turned up the temperature the elements got hotter (glowing red) but the temperature reading didn't change. I remembered hearing a 'pop' at some point but figured that a bead had cracked (which I found unusual but possible). I guess it wasn't a bead afterall.

I've recently changed my bench setup and with no room around my kiln for the large pyrometer I placed it on top of the kiln. It gets warm up there but I wouldn't call it hot.

Hope I didn't ruin a batch of beads. Can't imagine life without a kiln!
Old 2009-12-13, 2:14pm

I would replace it with a digital controller. That way you don't have to babysit the kiln while annealing.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-12-13, 4:16pm

If the actual pyrometer gage is all that's broken, you should be able to replace it with any other gage *as long as* the new gage is designed to with the same "type" of thermocouple. Most kilns use the very common 'Type K' thermocouple.

You can also replace the analog gage with a digital pyrometer.

If the thermocouple is what's broken, they are common too. Again, just make sure you get the correct 'type'.

Lastly, if you can afford it, adding a digital controller will make using your kiln a whole lot easier!

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-12-13, 4:28pm
Bad to the bone

How will I know whether it's the gage or the thermocouple? And where do I get replacement parts? Do electricians fix these things?

I turned the kiln on today to see what would happen ... It worked like normal. I was beginning to think I was imagining things, it worked fine for a few hours while I made another batch of beads. I'd check the temperature every 10 minutes or so; all was fine, then bam! all of a sudden the temperature was back down at around 400F. The kiln kept clicking on and off so I assume it was holding it's temp.

Ya, I've thought of a digital controller. I don't really find it a big deal having to watch the kiln but you're right, it would be a whole lot easier.

Ingrid
Old 2009-12-13, 6:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Sounds like a bad thermocouple.... If it was actual meter (gauge) it would either work or not, but it sort of does.... Could also be a loose connection on back of meter where thermocouple wires connect to meter...

On monday AM I would call AIM if it were me....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal