Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-14, 1:38pm
Type ZZZ personality

Default inside out beads video?

Does anyone have a DVD or tape on how to do inside out beads that I could borrow?

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-11-14, 1:56pm
ManBearPig

Shannon Hill has a video on making inside-out beads.

Here is a place you can rent it: http://smartflix.com/index.php?main_...oducts_id=1323

The screen shot shows a coil pot bead, which Shannon demonstrates as well, but most of the video is inside-out beads.

Old 2006-11-14, 3:12pm
product of the universe

Here is a basic 123

Get tubing probaly 25medium wall. Pull down into points with about a inch of tube on the end. Flare the end. Make sure the mouthpiece is sealed with a cork or earplug. Aim your flame into the flare and proceed to draw lines or drop in frit or dots what ever. After its decorated. Heat the end of the flared out part and begin to paddle shut. Make sure ya take the cork out before the end is sealed. Now blow out the end so its round and even. Attach a punty and your ready to sink the colors in on the other end. Shrink and blow til all the color has gone up in the glass. Now shape to your desired shape. Blow out the end and ream to the apropriate size. Now ya can either grab the open end with a grabber or tack a small punty on the end. Now flame tear your blowpoint off and shear or pull off exess glass with a rod. paddle if nessesary.
Use tweezers to grab the bead and knock off the punty and flame polish.
And there ya have it a insideout bead.

I hope this helps ya out. A few days practice and you should have it down.

Oh yea get some silver so that ya can fume the inside after you decorate.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-11-15, 12:06pm
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks for the instructions, but there are a couple of things I dont' know how to do. I really need visuals, that's why I wanted to borrow a video. I may end up renting one, but I'm really short on cash right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
Get tubing probaly 25medium wall. Pull down into points with about a inch of tube on the end. Flare the end. Make sure the mouthpiece is sealed with a cork or earplug. Aim your flame into the flare and proceed to draw lines or drop in frit or dots what ever. After its decorated. Heat the end of the flared out part and begin to paddle shut. Make sure ya take the cork out before the end is sealed. Now blow out the end so its round and even. Attach a punty and your ready to sink the colors in on the other end. Shrink and blow til all the color has gone up in the glass. Now shape to your desired shape. Blow out the end and ream to the apropriate size. Now ya can either grab the open end with a grabber or tack a small punty on the end. Now flame tear your blowpoint off and shear or pull off exess glass with a rod. paddle if nessesary.

Old 2006-11-15, 12:09pm
ManBearPig

Well, if you were close, you could borrow my video. Or, if you were close, you could just come by and I'd show you...

Old 2006-11-15, 7:44pm
product of the universe

Hope this helps.

Pulling a point is taking hollow tubing and heating a section and stretching it down into a handle which you can blow into. Alternatly you can attach a 9.5mm tube to a small section of 25mm tube.

Condensing the glass and then blowing it out pushes the color into the clear.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-11-15, 9:44pm
ManBearPig

I took some photos of me pulling a point a few minutes ago. I'll post them tomorrow. My computer here at home is too slow to edit photos...

Old 2006-11-16, 11:53am
ManBearPig

Here you go:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39092

If I get a chance, I'll get some photos of actually making an inside-out bead.

Old 2006-11-16, 3:06pm
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks, Chad! I thought that was basically it, but I was just a little fuzzy on a few things. I'm sure you all can understand that I'm more a visual person. I have a piece of tubing out of the borobox that I wanted to use to try this. It has one end closed up, so I guess I'll want to open that out first.

Old 2006-11-16, 7:06pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio View Post
Thanks, Chad! I thought that was basically it, but I was just a little fuzzy on a few things. I'm sure you all can understand that I'm more a visual person. I have a piece of tubing out of the borobox that I wanted to use to try this. It has one end closed up, so I guess I'll want to open that out first.
Yeah, probably. One of the first things I did when I started working with tubing is just pull point after point after point. I made some pretty ugly ones, but after about 20 I got the hang of it. If you get one that is crooked, to straighten it, heat the wide part of the tube (where it is original size, not pulled down) just before it starts to get narrow. Then straighten it.

At first focus on making the handles the right length. Work on diameter later.