LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-26, 6:27pm

Default Oxygen concentrator acting up

My concentrator has been giving me some trouble lately. About 20-30 minutes into a session, it starts beeping at me. If I turn it off then on again, it stops, but starts again around the same time later.

I don't even know the make of the thing, I could certainly go check but it's tucked away in behind some stuff in my studio right now. So if anyone has any immediate suggestions, or even exactly how to go about getting an oxy con serviced (in Canada), it would be very much appreciated.

It has been warmer than usual lately, could it be overheating? But that still doesn't explain why it doesn't start beeping until 20 mins or so after it is turned off/on again.

Also today I left everything on while I stepped out of my studio to chat with my dad, when I came back in the flame was extinguished and propane was still coming out. The door was open so I just aired out the room for awhile, and everything is fine, I learned that it's probably not a good plan to leave the thing unattended even for a few minutes. But, I don't know what caused the flame to be extinguished, except I am wondering if it has something to do with whatever the beeping was about. Otherwise it seemed to be working fine (except for the beeping).

Help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-26, 8:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

have you cleaned/replaced the filters lately?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-26, 9:34pm

try disconnecting the tubing from the concentrator and turn it on. Double check that the flow ball is not over 5LPM, and let it run for 30 minutes or so. If it seems to run ok then maybe something in your setup is causing it to act funny.

Old 2007-07-27, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
have you cleaned/replaced the filters lately?
Er... no. I didn't know that needed to be done, and I've had the thing more than a year. Maybe this is what I should investigate first?

Old 2007-07-27, 10:41am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

well, it certainly needs to be done but Jason's suggestion is an excellent one. run the oxycon unconnected to anything and make sure the ball doesn't go above 5 and see if it has the same trouble unconnected.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-27, 11:06am
Where the Wild Wares are!

There is something that no one has addressed -- how long has it been since you made sacrifices to the oxygen gods? If it's been too long, they can get very, very testy!

When they make themselves manifest through earthly devices such as oxy-cons, they are appeased with things like clean filters, renewed sieve beds, or compressor checks. If they're angered, they will gently "teach" you respect by saying "Hmmm... she's been working on that complex floral for about 45 minutes now... let's turn off her oxygen!"

Don't tell me you haven't seen the glass gods get upset when you attempt to transform glass too quickly in a torch!

Let't not even go to invoking the wrath of kiln gods!

Jim
Wild Wares
Old 2007-07-27, 11:13am

not sure which one you have, but anyone know what the bouncy ball should be for an og15? i changed my knob accidentally, cant remember now what it was.
thanks
please post what you did to fix your issues. i have yet to do anything to mine.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-07-27, 3:01pm

I am going to go and try all of these things this afternoon, I will post my results. I have had my concentrator for a little over a year, I did buy it used though (it was used by a family for medical purposes, who knows when they cleaned the filters?)

I try very hard to appease all the glass-related gods!!

Old 2007-07-27, 4:26pm

might be a good idea to get a filter kit anyway if you've not replaced them yet!

Old 2007-07-27, 7:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
might be a good idea to get a filter kit anyway if you've not replaced them yet!
Where do you get such a thing?

Old 2007-07-29, 12:31am

Ok, I checked the flow ball and it *was* up past 5. Don't know why it was there/why it didn't give me trouble before (like, did it somehow get changed? I never changed it on purpose). Anyway. Now it's working fine! I am still going to give the filters a clean or change sometime in the near future though.

Old 2007-07-29, 4:45am

If you had the ball set at 5, and as you're making adjustments as you work, you may notice that the concentrator is no longer at 5LPM. This is where people instinctively put it back up to 5, when in reality it is now OVER 5LPM. This is where I have found a lot of people having trouble and cursing their machine

Old 2007-07-29, 3:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhoust View Post
Where do you get such a thing?
YOu can get filter kits from Justin/Oxygen PLus medical - just PM him (he's the one that posted in this thread).

Glad you found your trouble.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-09-03, 4:44pm

Default Mmmeee Tttooo!!!

Sorry folks, but this is exactly what I have been whining, crying, bitching,begging about for 6 or 8 weeks. I have two AirSep Newlife oxycons that seem to work okay and one Nellcor-Puritan-Bennett which does not seem to put out any O2. The parts and repair are now handled by Indacare and possibly by Oxygen Plus Medical on the Nellcor Companion 590. Justin and I have been tripping over the keyboard for some time now but I keep hoping we can get together soon. I know he will be able to help on the AirSep but not sure about the Companion 590 which is the one no longer manufactured, as I understand it. I have tried several places to get a service manual on both the units but keep being told that as I am not a certified medical technician I am not allowed to be given one?? Sure, I understand, but I'm not using the thing for research on friend or foe. I would be willing to pay for a copy e-mailed or snail-mailed if someone is willing to help out.

As much as some people have invested in these things, no doubt they would be interested getting help from the likes of Justin and anyone else capable of doing so.

Just let me know what I have to do and I'll be happy to oblige.

Thanks...Bo Whalen
Old 2008-03-29, 5:16pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

There's a battery in my concentrator....shouldn't THAT be replaced at some point?
Mine's beeping and going off too!
Can't take it!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2008-03-30, 8:22am

Clean your filters with distilled vineager. Don't use soap . As soap can leave a scum in the filters and cause it to clogg the filters over time.
Hope that helps.
Janet