No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-09, 9:55am
Temptress

Default GTT Hand Torch

Can anybody tell me more about this torch? I've emailed GTT but haven't heard back yet. I assume they're very busy right now. I'd like to get one, but don't know who carries them or how much they cost. Are they worthwhile? Has anybody used one? I'm getting into a bit of metalsmithing and it seems like it would be a good idea. Any options or opinions?
Thanks!
Old 2007-12-09, 10:38pm

I cant say for sure, but fairly certain the GTT torch is for large glass work with the use of propane. A standard torch would be more for your needs(acetylene) or for jewelry a little Smith torch which can be use with propane or acetylene I believe, depending on the type of tip you use.
Murf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-12-10, 7:43am
Temptress

Hi Murf,
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much!
Old 2007-12-10, 1:33pm
PyronamixK

GTT does make a small single jet hand torch that can get a flame smaller than the one from the smallest Smith Little torch tip. The GTT single jet can get a flame that is about as small as a bee stinger. It can get as large as about 1/4" across, too. However, this is not a standard production torch and I don't know when one would be available.

The GTT Lynx hand torch can get the same flames as the GTT Lynx bench burner. The smallest flame is about the size of a toothpick across and comes to a needle point. The Lynx hand torch is $450, I believe.

The nice thing about these torches is that you can use propane and get a very hot flame and it doesn't blow itself out. They are surface mix, not premix and you don't have to change tips to get the various flame sizes. You can use these torches for metal work as well as glass work (awesome for paperweights). Willy uses his Lynx hand torch for brazing and soldering fine detail.

GTT makes larger hand torches for large glass work, too. But the Lynx hand torch is really great for small detail.
Old 2007-12-10, 10:53pm
Temptress

Thanks for the info Kimberly,
Both the single flame torch and the Lynx hand torch sound like they could interest me. I will try emailing them again.
Old 2007-12-12, 4:45pm

I use both types of torches for metal work. I use my little torch on propane and oxygen for gold work and small silver work. I use an acetylene plumbers torch for large silver braclets and buckles.

However, if you already have the setup for oxygen and propane then there is no reason to bother with buying an acetylene system. You can buy a number of different size tips for the little torch system that will allow you to solder fairly large silver pieces or melt gold/silver in a crucible. Also, propane is much cleaner and easy to obtain than acetylene.

The Lynx Hand Torch would be cool because then you could use it in the future if you plan to do sculpture or large pieces. However, the triple mix design of the torch is unnecessary when working with the metals used for jewerly.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein