LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2013-01-19, 7:06pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Cheryl, they look good! Looks like the Silvered Ivory is eating up the yellow ocher. That happens sometimes with certain colors, usually in the orange, red and yellow ranges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-19, 9:23pm
Student!

I noticed that on the first one but thought my dots were just way off. While that certainly contributed to it, the second one sucked em up too. I actually like the look though and it inspires me to try this with some transparents to see if I can get a sort of stained glass look.

I will be trying this with greens or blues though to see if I can actually make something closer to what I intended.

Thanks for the tut!

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2013-01-21, 7:48pm
Melody of Glass

Loving this tut! Here's the first three. Definitely going to play more. Thanks Amber!
Attached Images

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-31, 5:00pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Sorry I missed your post - they look great! Make the olive dots bigger and they'll spread even further into the scale pattern.

Old 2013-01-31, 7:46pm
Melody of Glass

Perfect timing, Amber! I am planning to try a set of them this weekend. I will try that for sure!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-31, 9:31pm

Melody, nice beads! it looks like you have the right technique. One day i'll get some of that silver leaf and some etch solution cause I'd like to try this.

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2013-02-01, 12:16am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I tired making these 2 days ago and they came out really horrible. I was SURE that she didn't mean to literally wrap the silver leaf around the stringer, I thought she meant SIS.

Can't wait to try again tomorrow, I love the look of the beads!

Old 2013-02-01, 12:21am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Pam, I love #2 & #4, they remind me of microscopic organisims! Outstanding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBetween View Post

This one is copper green (I never got this shade of blue out of copper green before, must be my new kiln?), then ivory, sage green and steel blue.

This one didn't work at all. Ivory base, silvered, ivory dots, copper green.

And this one is cim olive with silvered ivory and aurae. I like it, but it needed bigger/more dots.

Oh, and here is one more. Poi base, silvered ivory, olive green (not so good) and edp.

Old 2013-02-11, 2:44pm

Hi,

I never post something here but I read this hole thread and what a lovely beads.
I just wonder why a lot of pictures are gone.

As I told I read this all and ... wanted to try it. They are in the kiln now so tomorrow is an exciting day.

If I figure out how it works here with pictures, I will let you see what I have made last night. I started with the normal recipes but ended up with silver glass ones. I thought that must work as well.

I think the base bead and the silvered ivory make the dots swim but may be I am wrong.

Till tomorrow. Ineke
Old 2013-02-11, 2:50pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ineke, yes, the type of glass used in the tutorial helps spread the dots into the scale pattern. A lot of pictures are missing because of how old the thread is. It's been 6 years since i originally posted it here.

Old 2013-02-11, 3:21pm

I just gave an answer but ... where is it now?
Doesn't matter, tomorrow I will let you see what I have made.

Ineke
Old 2013-02-12, 5:24am

Default Dragon scales

Here is what I made last night:

On the right side are the ones with Psyche.
Ineke
Old 2013-02-12, 4:26pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ineke, they look great! If you want the scales to spread more, let the glass droop a little as you spin and then round out the bead again. That will spread the bead wider at the hole, pulling the scales out a bit more to the edges.

Old 2013-02-13, 3:32am

Thanks, I will do that next time.
Old 2013-02-13, 5:04am
Melody of Glass

Gorgeous, Ineke! The larger purple in the middle is my fave. Do you mind sharing what colour that is? Beautiful!

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-14, 3:49pm

No problem. I already have lined them, make photo's for selling but I think I found the middle one.

Base of CiM Poi, than dots with the ivory stringer wrapped in silver leave. On this dots Lausha olive and on this EDP dots.

I heard here that I had to drop it a little bit to make it more scales but Ok that is for next time.

Love this kind of beads and will make more for sure.

Ineke
Old 2013-02-14, 4:23pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Great, Ineke! I'm so glad you're having fun with the technique!

Old 2013-02-14, 4:51pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I think I need to make more of these.

They are fun... hmmmm. And I do have a full tank of propane now. As soon as I'm done with these next 5 beads...

Old 2013-02-14, 4:52pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh and it's really cool to see all the different colors everyone is experimenting with when the Lauscha is not available.

Old 2013-02-14, 9:47pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks for sharing, Ineke!

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-27, 4:24pm

I made some chunks/poppers/buttons with this technique too. Just used copper green as base and EDP and Lausha olive on top.
I think my favorite is the EDP but ... I have just a little experience with EDP and this one is OK but I made another one and I worked it a bit longer and I saw some brown in it what I dont like.

It was difficult to let it drop a bit but I think they are lovely as they are.
Ineke
Old 2013-04-06, 4:02pm

So I read the tut and watched the Ross video, both you guys rock! These aren't annealed yet nor etched. Two in the middle are edp dots w/ cg base and the far right is petroleum green dots on cg base. I may need to let the bead 'droop' more for more spread next time and also make the side dots a lil smaller and center dots a lil larger but I like these anyway.
Great tut, Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-07, 10:48am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ineke - Lovely - yes, EDP can "burn" in the flame and turn orange and browns from the silver. I actually like it when it does that.

Great Job, Chuck - yeah, you could actually let them go even longer, spreading the dots towards the holes. With EDP, it can be hard because it wants to devit after prolonged exposure...the Pet Green looks pretty cool!

Old 2013-04-07, 11:59am
Senior Moment

Decided to give the Dragon scales a go as well. Used Rubino over the SIS on a base of Copper Green. I'm well pleased - maybe next time I can get them the same size LOL

Name:  IMG_5719-001.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  39.2 KB

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-05-14, 8:46am

Naos, once again, Thx for sharing your method! I made enough for this bracelet, added some Turquoise stones and some Hill Tribe silver.
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-15, 4:58am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Wow Chuck - I love it! Beautiful! Don't you love the rusty tones you can get out of the EDP with this method? You never know how it's going to come out.

Old 2013-05-16, 4:17pm

Yeah Amber, I made those beads from 3 different torch sessions from 'old' edp and they all came out a little different. Then next time I'll try some of the 'new' edp that I recently purchased from Art Glass House here on the forum.

Old 2013-05-17, 7:58am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I have some of the new EDP, too, but it'll be a few weeks before I can play with it. WAH!!!

Old 2013-11-16, 4:56am
what's a senior moment ?

Been playing with your tut again Amber. This time, I tamed the beast ! lol ! I didn't etch them.
I have to add that the copper green looks more turquoise in the main beads. I've never seen copper green react like that.

Last edited by dla; 2013-11-16 at 5:09am.
Old 2013-11-16, 7:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Been playing with your tut again Amber. This time, I tamed the beast ! lol ! I didn't etch them.
I have to add that the copper green looks more turquoise in the main beads. I've never seen copper green react like that.

I saw those in the gallery this morning, great job Debbie.
Bob

e-mail:

Tags
generous, inspiration