Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-25, 8:07am
DaveK

Default Smoothing Marble Surface

Hey,

I did a vortex marble with jet black as the lower half and then applied slime green dots for the back side surface treatment. I noticed, and have noticed before, it is extremely difficult to smooth out opaque colors on the surface of a marble. I use infinite rim marble molds.

Is there a special trick to get the reflexion of the lights to not warp over opaque/clear and opaque/opaque intersections?

I tried to add a skin of clear but that kind of distorted the dot pattern.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2013-10-25, 8:19pm
Back to 👊 1

Hi Dave, Not that your question won't get answered here, but ya might want to put your question in the Marble section of the forum as well.

Good luck!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2013-10-25, 8:50pm

Doesnt sound like you are completely melting in the color. Also the finishing last step should be a thourough fire polish in the torch. Hoe big a marble are you making and what are your torch and oxygen setups?
Old 2013-10-25, 9:06pm
DaveK

The marble in question was close to 2 inches. I am using a Carisle Hellcat but have noticed the tendency of opaques to behave differently than clear on the surface of smaller marbles also.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2013-10-26, 9:00am

most opaques and cad colors are stiff as shit. you really just need more heat and more patience.
Old 2013-10-26, 10:41am
DaveK

I guess I need some of those Kevlar gloves.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Tags
crayon, marble mold, marbles, opaque glass