Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-06, 4:58pm

Default shop inside the house ... is it safe ?

I just moved and need to set up a new shop ... how safe (with regards to the fumes) is it to have a boro shop in one of the bedrooms of a house?

I don't want my kids exposed to vaporized silver, cobalt, copper etc.

Sure I have a good ventilation system ... but how effective can ANY ventilation system be in a room that you cannot completely seal (old house, lots of drafts).
Old 2008-04-06, 5:34pm
Bliss Junkie

mine is in my spare bedroom.... the table sits next to the window, with a big fan... actually had to build a box for the fan and mount it outside the window... have a tube with wire and such to keep critters out that extends away from the window to duct in fresh air, which is set to come about right between me and the torch, helps to push the air right through...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-04-07, 6:55am

mine is in my basement, make sure good ventilation and good make up air.
ro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-04-07, 8:09am
Against the Grain

Mine is in the lower level of my house: love it. Actually I have a "fumehood" that I work in. The fumehood walls are windows so I can see out.
To tag along with what was mentioned: good ventilation and make up air. I have a CO detector just outside the door.
Plan well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-07, 3:51pm

Default Forget about sealed...

I can appreciate your concern regarding the fumes and the safety of your children for sure.

You do NOT want the room sealed. Actually, drafty is kinda good for you here. Think of your ventilation system as a process. Sure the cfm your fan is pushing and smart ducting is important. Just as important, in my opinion, is allowing it to have something to push. Your fan is going to create negative pressure in the room and it needs clean air moving into the room to allow it to work efficiently.

I want to say I've read here, or elsewhere, some recommendations for both passive and active intake sizes based on your exhaust cfm/duct size and shape and so on.

What you can do is run your exhaust and use the incense or some other visible method, outside the room, and check that air is being pulled into the room. You want negative pressure in the room but you don't want to restrict your exhaust too much. Does that make sense?

Due to the childrens safety which I totally understand, I'd err on the side of caution and maybe run a bit more negative pressure, (less intake into the room) than I would otherwise. Just make sure you're still moving plenty of the bad stuff out for your own sake.