Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-01, 6:13pm
glass nerd!

Unhappy Temp. controller for kiln troubles ?

The infinite controller went bad on my kiln and I tried to replace it with a coldfusion TET 612 digital controller. The power going in to the controller is fine, no power wants to come out of the controller through the SSR connections. I belive I have it programmed properly but I can't get any power from the controller to the heating coils in the kiln. Anyone have any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-01, 6:23pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Bad relay posible, or it wired wrong
Sorry

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2009-04-01, 7:34pm
honorary bead lady

Instructional manual
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-01, 8:24pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Nice David

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2009-04-02, 8:31am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The infinite controller went bad on my kiln and I tried to replace it with a coldfusion TET 612 digital controller. The power going in to the controller is fine, no power wants to come out of the controller through the SSR connections. I belive I have it programmed properly but I can't get any power from the controller to the heating coils in the kiln. Anyone have any ideas?
Do you have schematic on how you built/assembled controller and did you follow it exactly? Can you post schematic?.

dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-04-02, 1:20pm
glass nerd!

I have the exact daigram that you posted. I wired it just as it shows without the extra switches. My power from the outlet goes into #1 and #2 and with my tester I show power at that point. When I put my tester on the SSR output (#6 & #7), it reads nothing. If I wire the coils straight to the outlet they work fine. After the controller I have a 240AC25DC SSR but I don't think I am even getting any power to that point.

Old 2009-04-02, 3:03pm
honorary bead lady

It sounds like you need to go thru the controller and double check the program. I thought I had mine worked out and had the TC set for a J instead of a K, very easy to miss something in the programing.

Hook up your voltmeter to the out put (6&7) and run your program you should have power when the realy is to kick in. These PIDs take some programing to work and it's not just a plug and play operation.
Old 2009-04-02, 6:41pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Do you have voltage at input of SSR?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-04-03, 6:54pm
glass nerd!

I have a lot lower voltage coming out of the controller then I do going into it. I do have the same voltage at the SSR as coming out of the controller but nothing coming out of the SSR.

Old 2009-04-04, 8:18pm
honorary bead lady

The ssr should say on the contacts 1&2 on the other side 3&4 one side will say 3-32VDC, this is the controller side. If it is then ssr is most likely bad. If not its hooked up backwards.

Or it could be the wrong voltage input on the ssr.
Old 2009-04-06, 8:32am

you have to wire up the mains power to the lugs on the relay before any power can go threw it when its turned on and the contact is closed. Think of the relay as a switch that can be turned on and off by the dc signal from the controller. It just breaks the connection of the main power going to the elements when its off and when its on it makes contact sending power threw the relays from the L1 to L2 lug on the relay.

also IF you have the + and negative wires on the dc input of the ssr it will not turn on right.

Old 2009-04-06, 11:30am
glass nerd!

Thanks for everybodys help so far. My husband has been working on this and is ready to throw the towel in. He did have the ssr hooked up backwards and we thought that was it but it wasn't. I will have him read this latest above post and hopefully it will help. I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for everybodys help so far.

Old 2009-04-06, 5:29pm
glass nerd!

Can anyone tell me the difference between an infinite switch and this TET 612 digital controller we got as far as AC or DC power goes? When the infinite switch worked, the Power from the outlet went to the switch and then staright to the coils with no relay and only 1 other wire to turn on a light to show when the coils were heating. Does an infinite switch convert the power from AC to DC because I'm gathering that this digital controller does?

Old 2009-04-06, 9:06pm
honorary bead lady

The infinate switch is like the switch on an electric range. The PID controller is a small computer that controls a relay switch. You cannot just plug in the controller in place of the infinate switch.

Remove the infinate switch, connect the 2 wires from the infinate switch together. If you have not read this... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=temp+controll YOU NEED TO!

The digital controller does convert ac to dc but at only 3-25 VDC enough to turn the relay on and off. The controller does not control the kiln directly, but the controller controls the relay that controls the kiln.

The drawing above is for a 220v kiln it shows the wires from the ssr going right to the element. ADD AN OUTLET to the drawing above the ssr and the cord from the kiln will be the wires going to the element.