LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-02, 8:16pm

Default What is wrong? Color Problem or Heat??

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? Base bead is Black (96), then White (204) dots then a Yellow...What happened to the edges of the dots? It is almost like edges are jagged.....any thoughts/help?

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-02, 8:19pm
I think I could be a bead

If the yellow is straw yellow, I think it will make the glass move farther than you like, but I'm not sure.

Old 2013-01-02, 8:32pm
one day at a time

It could be too much heat. Take your time melting dots in, especially if they have white underneath a transparent. The transparents are stiffer than the white, so if you don't go slow, the white will try to swallow the transparent dots.
Old 2013-01-02, 8:38pm
Lampworkaholic!

Any chance the black is Intense Black?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-02, 8:48pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Any chance the black is Intense Black?
I could be, or the white might be CiM. Sometimes it does the jagged thing, even on low heat.
Old 2013-01-02, 9:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
It could be too much heat. Take your time melting dots in, especially if they have white underneath a transparent. The transparents are stiffer than the white, so if you don't go slow, the white will try to swallow the transparent dots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I could be, or the white might be CiM. Sometimes it does the jagged thing, even on low heat.

Yes the Black is the Intense Black with Effetre White 204...Thank you all so much for your responses and experience. I am on a new torch finally after learning on a Hot Head...practicing just basics again and trying to get use to it, flame, heat (propane and Oxygen). This was the first time this had happened with the batch that I did last night.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-02, 9:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

Intense Black is very reactive with other colors and will bleed. The effect can be really interesting and organic, but if you want a nice stable black, I recommend Messy Tuxedo.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-02, 9:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Intense Black is very reactive with other colors and will bleed. The effect can be really interesting and organic, but if you want a nice stable black, I recommend Messy Tuxedo.
Great! I will try the Tuxedo, Thanks!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-02, 10:17pm
Unmedicated since '62

yeah, its because its intense black and you're overheating it, you can do it with IB but you have to heat very slowly and carefully, but why would you bother, a base bead made with normal transparent black will look just as black at that thickness, and its a waste of expensive intense black

am i the run on sentence queen or what!!?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-01-03, 7:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
yeah, its because its intense black and you're overheating it, you can do it with IB but you have to heat very slowly and carefully, but why would you bother, a base bead made with normal transparent black will look just as black at that thickness, and its a waste of expensive intense black

am i the run on sentence queen or what!!?
Thanks Deb. Yes, Expensive Intense Black....my thoughts exactly now. I ordered some regular transparant black (wondered why I didn't do that before). Such a newbie to all of this and SOOOOO much to learn. Having a blast though!!

Go to love run ons, and on, and on, and on.... lol Thanks!! J

~
~
~
~