Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-04, 6:20am
Senior Moment

Default Transparent Red

Who makes a good transparent red that is not striking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-04, 6:37am
one day at a time

They are all striking colors as far as I know, but if I'm wrong, I sure would like to know!

The boro rubies are a dependable kiln striker, but it's best to batch anneal those so you get all of the same shades of red. The color can get too dark if annealed for too long.
Old 2010-09-04, 6:47am
formerly Marella

Lauscha's transparent reds are TDF! I love them....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
Old 2010-09-04, 6:51am
Queen Bee

CIM's Sangre is a beautiful red, and I find it easy to work with -

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-09-04, 6:54am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
CIM's Sangre is a beautiful red, and I find it easy to work with -
I second that. It is just gorgeous.

Old 2010-09-04, 7:25am
Senior Moment

Thanks!

Old 2010-09-04, 7:31am

Isn't Sangre kind of semi-transparent. It has a totally different look then the trans reds do. I was just wondering if it was my batch that looks like that.

Old 2010-09-04, 8:28am
Uh Oh....

I'm voting for any Lauscha transparent reds. They are striking but they are so easy to strike and they are gorgeous!! They aren't really transparent as they can't be seen through all the way but they aren't totally opaque. If I can strike them anyone can. I'm challenged at striking and reducing.....

Old 2010-09-04, 8:47am
Happy Beadmaker!

Mewkittie, that's translucent (halfway between opaque and transparent)... And the Lauscha translucent red is just delish, like cherry lifesavers yummy!

~
~
~
Old 2010-09-04, 8:39pm
one day at a time

On the transparent reds - if you are making just one bead it's fairly easy enough to strike, but if you have to make a matching set of beads, it's very difficult to get them all the same shade of red. Some will be lighter (orangey) some will be too dark, and some will have swirls of opaque in them. I despise all the reds for making sets, but maybe it's just user error on my part, and maybe not.

In other words, in my line of work I can make the same bead over and over again and make them identical, and this is what people know me for. But making a set of just simple rounds with transparent red?? Heck no!
Old 2010-09-04, 9:10pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I LOVE the transparent/translucent Lauscha reds. I recently tried CIM Sangre and it's very pretty, too.
These are Sangre:

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-09-04, 11:46pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
On the transparent reds - if you are making just one bead it's fairly easy enough to strike, but if you have to make a matching set of beads, it's very difficult to get them all the same shade of red. Some will be lighter (orangey) some will be too dark, and some will have swirls of opaque in them. I despise all the reds for making sets, but maybe it's just user error on my part, and maybe not.

In other words, in my line of work I can make the same bead over and over again and make them identical, and this is what people know me for. But making a set of just simple rounds with transparent red?? Heck no!
so what you're saying is that you suck at making reds strike consistantly and need to cheat

you know i'm just stirring you, huh?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-05, 12:18am

I have a new Lauscha transparent red that stays transparent and doesn't go opalescent. It's not on the website yet though. (Sorry I have been busy with something else!)
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-09-06, 4:56am

I struggle to find the "perfect" red. Sangre often comes out darker than I want.But while we're at it, the brand new Kalypso DH looks yummy!! And I just promised my husband I'd use the glass/beads, etc. that I have for awhile and not "need" more.
What I really want to know is HOW Lisi gets such consistently sized/shaped beads!!

Old 2010-09-06, 1:01pm

Love the CZ Ornela red!.
Naomi
ETSY:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NAOMISH?sec...ws_desc&page=1
Old 2010-09-06, 9:09pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Naomi, I want to live in your Etsy shop. It's fabulous!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-09-06, 10:25pm
Hat or Cake?

I love the Lauscha, too. I have some Sangre, but haven't tried it yet. After seeing that pic, Lori, I think I have to get busy.
Beth
Old 2010-09-07, 5:24am

Thank you Lori.
You're always welcome!!!
Naomi
Old 2010-09-07, 5:59am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Naomi, I want to live in your Etsy shop. It's fabulous!
And aren't the little creatures' expressions just the CuTeSt!
You are a genius Naomi.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman